Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sprawl Ganger
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
DarkKindness
All right, as some of you may have noticed, I've been cranking out better and more fleshed out versions of a lot of the archetypes and asking for the board's feedback on them. I eventually compiled all of those with some story, but that's neither here nor there... I was looking at the remaining archetypes in the BBB, and there's one that I like the spirit of, but have no clue where to start executing.

So now it's your turn.

I'd like to see how you guys would build a more viable, more rounded version of the Sprawl Ganger from the BBB - someone who's a simple brute in combat, and who has the skills necessary to survive on the gangers' streets. I'm in need of inspiration, and I figured that this'd be the best place to get it smile.gif
Glyph
QUOTE (DarkKindness @ Sep 4 2009, 04:35 PM) *
I'd like to see how you guys would build a more viable, more rounded version of the Sprawl Ganger from the BBB - someone who's a simple brute in combat, and who has the skills necessary to survive on the gangers' streets.

Actually, the archetype as presented does a good job of the latter. I rag on the archetypes, but some of them are fairly well-crafted and self-consistent, and this is one of them. The only problems are: the firearms group doesn't make that much sense for someone more likely to use his fists than a gun (not completely implausible, but doesn't mix well with the next quality that I mention, and why give him skill in all guns, then just give him a pistol? Why not a cheap SMG at least?), the uneducated negative quality doesn't quite fit (it is more suited for back-to-nature luddites or feral barrens rats), and despite his low allotment of cyberware, wired reflexes: 1 is cheap and available enough to justify getting it. But the character still works as a brawler who also has the skills needed to survive on the streets - running, survival, intimidation, etc.

Ryu did a version of the ganger in the Sample Characters thread that is similar to the book's, but addresses the (relatively few) problems that I had with the book archetype.

The trouble with the "brute in combat" approach, though, is that a sprawl ganger only makes sense as either a lightly cybered character, or an adept. And both types will get chewed up by a heavily cybered character or an adept with some bioware. So they are basically second-best at something that they have made their main schtick. If you are going to do a ganger, they work better as survivalists (someone who can guide the runners through the dangers of the Barrens), semi-face types with lots of friends in low places, or a mix of the two. I will see if I can put something together along those lines, who can still function moderately well in combat.
DarkKindness
QUOTE (Glyph @ Sep 5 2009, 04:14 AM) *
Actually, the archetype as presented does a good job of the latter. I rag on the archetypes, but some of them are fairly well-crafted and self-consistent, and this is one of them. The only problems are: the firearms group doesn't make that much sense for someone more likely to use his fists than a gun (not completely implausible, but doesn't mix well with the next quality that I mention, and why give him skill in all guns, then just give him a pistol? Why not a cheap SMG at least?), the uneducated negative quality doesn't quite fit (it is more suited for back-to-nature luddites or feral barrens rats), and despite his low allotment of cyberware, wired reflexes: 1 is cheap and available enough to justify getting it. But the character still works as a brawler who also has the skills needed to survive on the streets - running, survival, intimidation, etc.

Ryu did a version of the ganger in the Sample Characters thread that is similar to the book's, but addresses the (relatively few) problems that I had with the book archetype.

The trouble with the "brute in combat" approach, though, is that a sprawl ganger only makes sense as either a lightly cybered character, or an adept. And both types will get chewed up by a heavily cybered character or an adept with some bioware. So they are basically second-best at something that they have made their main schtick. If you are going to do a ganger, they work better as survivalists (someone who can guide the runners through the dangers of the Barrens), semi-face types with lots of friends in low places, or a mix of the two. I will see if I can put something together along those lines, who can still function moderately well in combat.

Thanks for the feedback, Glyph. Couple of things - I should've been more clear when I said 'brute in combat'. I didn't necessarily mean a combat monster, but I definitely want someone who's a capable combatant. More the point there, though, was that I'm looking for a character that approaches combat in a brutish way - simple weapons, simple strategies. Someone who sticks to baseball bats, crowbars, knives, their bare knuckles, and an occasional pistol. Basically, a thuggish approach to combat, I guess.

I also think that the skill set that they bring is important, and can see what you're driving at with the skill sets that you suggest - I agree that those are necessary in order to make the ganger a viable contributor to a team.

All that said, this has definitely given me some food for thought, and I'm eagerly awaiting seeing what you come up with to see if I can pull any additional inspiration from that - thanks a bunch!
Glyph
Okay, finished my version of the sprawl ganger, the Slick Weasel. The runt of the litter who had to be sneaky, fast-talking, and have some low cunning to survive. I think I met my goal of creating a survivalist/face type who could survive combat, although SR is very unforgiving of skill monkeys and generalists. I also had to remind myself that this guy is a newbie when it comes to running, and not give him things like a fake SIN, a skinlink for his gun, etc. He should learn fast, though, since he has a survivor's mentality.

[ Spoiler ]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012