Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AI as a drone PC
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
mecra
Hey all. I'm new to the site.

I'm curious what people thought of an AI homed in a drone, say a Steel Lynx with heavy modifications? I really like the concept of a brain in a box but the Cyborg just isn't viable due to the restraints. If I wanted to play a drone like a character is it simply better to go at it like a rigger instead of an embedded AI? (Think Tachikoma from Ghost in the Shell)

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
Ravor
Viable, but remember that you can be killed if your home node is destoryed.
X-Kalibur
Make it more like Haro from Gundam and we're getting somewhere wink.gif a "dronomancer" TM sounds like it would be both easier and more effective for what you want. Plus you get sprites to play with.
Krypter
Something akin to the drones from Special Circumstances in Iain M. Banks's Culture universe would be most apropos. It's definitely a viable character for an experienced hacker/rigger player who wants a challenge. Probably the hardest part would be keeping from it degenerating into a comedy.
Chrome Tiger
A while back one of my players and I developed something similar to this, and actually based off the Tachikoma in GitS. The AI was housed in a 'safe box' at the center of the drone and all of the appendages and sensors were treated as rigged devices. I styled the 'safe box' after the escape pod-like cockpits in Formula race boats; capsulized, strengthened structure, and in this instance armored, grounded, and EM shielded. Not indestructible, as the limbs and sensors were standard, but damn tough to kill outright.
Neraph
This is what I'll be playing in an upcoming game. The AI is actually in a "blackbox" comm module attached to one of the arms. His name is Wraith, as a play on a "ghost in the shell."

Wraith
[ Spoiler ]
mecra
Does an AI suffer damage from the drone he's occupying or is that determined by hot/cold simming? I'm not sure how that relates to AIs
Jaid
the damage from your drone taking damage is caused by rigging in hotsim.

also, on a side note, given a choice between getting 20 points for the uncouth flaw, and having 20 less BP to spend in addition to losing the 20 BP from not taking the uncouth flaw, i would choose to not take the uncouth flaw. in fact, you would probably be better off starting with your home node as a rating 1 credstick and having no other gear, rather than starting off with the uncouth flaw. it's the kind of flaw that you shouldn't even take just because you want to roleplay it; if you want to roleplay it, then just don't choose the flaw and act like a jerk. at least then you can *try* to tell when people are telling a lie (and be able to at least attempt to lie to others), negotiate prices, resist intimidation, and so forth. unless of course you spend more BP on having the skills that you decided your character would not logically have from an RP perspective (as i said, the only reason i could imagine you choosing the flaw is because you want to RP it, since it is so crippling, and it's so expensive to counteract the negatives far enough to make a plausible shadowrunner, or even normal human being).

essentially, imagine there was a flaw called "you start off dead, write up a new character". it would be better than uncouth, because at least it wouldn't fool you into thinking it was a valid choice for a functional character.
Erl of Ingst
I don't know if it is valid, but I have an idea to put a nexus on a drone. I don't know the size of the nexus so I don't know what size of drone would be required. After that you give it armor via commlink accessories (which any electronic can have) and upgrade your drone's armor. The drone I made has 9c armor and the nexus has 10. I'm assuming that would stack to 19, but I could be wrong.
Moxie
Maybe Media Junkie instead? I mean other PCs have to sleep but the AI doesn't, so it could easily spend its time browsing everyday for 4 to 8 hrs depending on the severity of the addiction.
Socinus
QUOTE (Ravor @ Sep 5 2009, 03:02 AM) *
Viable, but remember that you can be killed if your home node is destoryed.

Only if YOU currently are in the node when it's destroyed. An AI loses 1 rating point per week for every week they dont have a home node.
Ravor
Of course, I figured that was a given, after all, a meatie isn't killed when his pad is blown up and he wasn't home.
Moxie
@Neraph
I love the build by the way! love.gif Very cool, in fact, you could even make her like Robogeisha with all those stats and cyberblades.

Is there a reason for the exceptional attribute boost vs not maxing it? I mean, its only 25 BP to max it out to 6, versus 10 + 20 exceptional attribute?
Neraph
First off, those extra 15 points are sorely needed elsewhere. Secondly, only through GM call can Exceptional Attribute be gained in-play, but it is obvious you may start with it. Exceptional Attribute is needed because that is the only way an AI is going to get any attribute higher than a 6. They cannot accept cyberware/bioware, since they have no meat body, and they cannot have spells cast on them, as they are computer programs and magic does not work on the Matrix.

Besides, with so much detailed already, Exceptional Attribute and "soft capping" the attributes gives the character definate growth-room.
Moxie
Ah that makes sense, plus you can cap at 6 other stats, and one 7 stat for the R7 system, even though initially it costs 5 more BP that's a lot more growth potential in a game.

I also saw that you had put response enhancers initially into the mix for this character (on an older thread), but why none now?

Very interesting, thanks for sharing again.
eidolon
Very cool build, Neraph. Let us know how it plays.
Neraph
QUOTE (Moxie @ Sep 15 2009, 10:41 AM) *
Ah that makes sense, plus you can cap at 6 other stats, and one 7 stat for the R7 system, even though initially it costs 5 more BP that's a lot more growth potential in a game.

I also saw that you had put response enhancers initially into the mix for this character (on an older thread), but why none now?

I did, although they were a little hidden:

R4 Ultrawideband Radar [2,000]
R6 Radio Signal Scanner [150]
R6 Olfactory Sensor [3,000]
R3 Atmospheric Sensor [75]
R3 Response Enhancer [6,000]
Customized Interface [250]
AR Gloves [250]
Total: 11,475

Even if you want to leave them out, you'd gain an extra 6k nuyen.gif that would be useful in other areas, and you'd only drop your Initiative to 15 (still crazy-high) with 3 IP. Still really good.

QUOTE ( @ Sep 15 2009, 10:41 AM) *
Very interesting, thanks for sharing again.

Any time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012