Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Street level advice?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Oni
Hey guys, thought I'd tap the collective knowledge of Dumpshock for all the advice I can get on GMing street level games.

My practical experience with Shadowrun is limited, my out of game experience, ie. reading most SR rpg books, is pretty solid (most of my players have not done much reading outside of BBB and AR).

I have three PC's starting with 300bp and standard qualities rules.
So far the group has an Occult Investigator, Elven Face and Fox shifter Infiltrator Adept (say that last one ten times fast).
Other important things to note are that items are cut way back. Items have to be reasonable and fit with character skills.
Having only a small group (three PC's total) I've assured them I will be filling in for other roles in the group.

Plans as of this moment stand as having the players play through the qualities that would effect they're backgrounds. Hopefully this will give both PC and GM a better feel and attachment for characters.

The other important thing to know is that they are all starting out in very different areas, the Face starts in Seattle, the Investigator in New York, and the Shifter may start in Chicago, maybe Seattle. (hopefully this will give the PC's a much more concrete understanding of the game as a whole.)

There ya go, have at it. I could use any advice you can throw my way, as I am still young to Shadowrun.
Oni
Already off to a good start with the "Anout" in the description.
Bugfoxmaster
Haha, don't worry about it. OK.
First, get the group to have a reason to get to the same place and group up. Ever heard of 'don't split up the gang'? There's a good reason. Additionally, it's more fun when they're working together - though they may originally start in different places with different goals.
Second, allow them to do what is needed ot avoid combat - in a strett-level campaign, they're going to have trouble working the mojo, and if you don't give them some leeway, they'll not live two sessions.
Third, since they're weaker, give them weaker opponents in fights, at least until they get some karma under their belt. Otherwise, see above.
Finally, make sure that they have interesting plots. It's all too easy for a street-level game to be 'steal this, shoot him, uh-oh, gang war...'
And good luck!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012