Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recoil
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Tyro
I've read the section in the BBB, as well as several threads here on Dumpshock and the official FAQ. I just want to make sure my interpretation is correct. The only threads I found on the subject were old enough that a new thread seemed to be the best option. I create a lot of characters, but I have ZERO game experience, so please bear with me.

QUOTE (SR4A 144 under "Combat Turn Sequence")
Combat Turns may be broken up into a series of Initiative Passes if any characters have the ability to take extra actions in a combat turn. The point during each Combat Turn when a specific character can act is called an Action Phase.

QUOTE (SR4A 152 under "Recoil")
Weapons that fire more than one round in an Action Phase suffer from an escalating recoil modifier...

QUOTE (Official FAQ)
Recoil compensation only applies once during an entire Action Phase. In other words, each point of Recoil Compensation counteracts 1 point of Recoil modifiers for that entire Action Phase.

QUOTE (SR4A 153 under "Burst-Fire Mode")
...The first burst fired in an Action Phase inflicts a -2 recoil modifier, the second inflicts an additional -3 recoil (neutralized by recoil compensation, of any).

So... if I fire two different weapons with two different Simple Actions, does the uncompensated recoil for each apply to that weapon only or to both? For example, let's say I have RC 2 on 2 different SMG's. I fire a short burst from each. The next pass, I do the same again. Is it:

A) (Recoil tracked separately per weapon, RC regenerates between passes)
Phase 1: 0 recoil on weapon 1, 0 recoil on weapon 2
Phase 2: 0 recoil on weapon 1, 0 recoil on weapon 2

B) (Recoil not tracked separately per weapon, RC regenerates between passes)
Phase 1: 0 recoil on weapon 1, 1 recoil on weapon 2 (since that's the second burst of the Action Phase)
Phase 2: 0 recoil on weapon 1, 1 recoil on weapon 2 (ditto)

C) (Recoil tracked separately per weapon, RC does not regenerate between passes)
Phase 1: 0 recoil on weapon 1, 0 recoil on weapon 2
Phase 2: 2 recoil on weapon 1, 2 recoil on weapon 2

D) (Recoil not tracked separately per weapon, RC does not regenerate between passes)
Phase 1: 0 recoil on weapon 1, 1 recoil on weapon 2 (since that's the second burst of the Action Phase)
Phase 2: 2 recoil on weapon 1, 3 recoil on weapon 2
X-Kalibur
In short, you're on the right path with A. If you fire a short burst from 2 seperate weapons that have 2 RC, you would have 0 recoil modifiers. By those same rules, if you fired a short burst from the same weapon twice, the first would have 0 recoil, the second would have -1.
Tyro
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Sep 4 2009, 08:40 PM) *
In short, you're on the right path with A. If you fire a short burst from 2 seperate weapons that have 2 RC, you would have 0 recoil modifiers. By those same rules, if you fired a short burst from the same weapon twice, the first would have 0 recoil, the second would have -1.

Yay! Anybody agree/disagree? I really want to lay this to rest, and the more support I get for one conclusion, the better I feel about going by it.
X-Kalibur
Actually, I take back part of mine, poor wording in the book it seemed.
Let's say you're firing a submachine gun in burst fire mode (3 bullets), with 1 point of recoil compensation. With your first Simple Action, you suffer a recoil modifier of -2 (first bullet is free, next two count). You have 1 point of recoil compensation, however, so that recoil modifier is reduced to -1.

On your second Simple Action, you suffer an additional -3 recoil modifier (three more bullets in the same Action Phase). You have a -1 recoil modifier carrying over from the first burst, so you're facing a total recoil modifier of -4. Your recoil compensation has already been fully applied (on the first burst), so your recoil modifier for the second burst is -4.

(Another way of looking at the second burst is to consider the total modifiers: -2 for the first burst and -3 for the second burst, for a total of -5. Subtract the 1 point of recoil compensation and you have a recoil modifier of -4.)

However note that RC is per weapon, not per character.
Tyro
So my 2-submachine gun example would still be zero recoil forever at one burst per gun per pass?
Draco18s
QUOTE (Tyro @ Sep 4 2009, 10:53 PM) *
So my 2-submachine gun example would still be zero recoil forever at one burst per gun per pass?

One short burst, yes.
Tyro
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Sep 4 2009, 08:55 PM) *
One short burst, yes.

Thanks. The character is built around that tactic, so I needed to know how much RC I needed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012