Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best drone for AI
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
mecra
Thanks to those who answered my previous post.

Now on to the meat of the concept, the main drone that the AI will use. What would you guys recommend?

Would be so kind as to even off up fully custom designed specs on a drone whether it be the Lynx, Sam, or Doberman? One of the larger combat walker drones in AR?

Would the VTOL drone be of interest?

The reason why I ask for the specs is I'm having a really tough time fully understanding how to mod drones. At least, in the autosoft areas. Sensors, I kinda get. The gun's easy. wink.gif

So, what would people recommend? Thanks!
eidolon
The big moment of clarity for me went something like this:

Damn, this software crap is complicated. What software goes with what stuff? Dammit.

CLICK

Holy crap, it's all devices, and it's all software.

I don't know if you're picking up what I'm laying down, but seriously, that was how it went for me.

That said, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't want to buy a few "bodies" so you could move between them depending on the job. Granted, it's going to get really expensive, really quickly, but I think that would be the overall goal, anyway.

If it were my game and I had already agreed to the concept, I'd probably give you an exception to availability and let you pick up a Mitsubishi Otomo, or hell, even an Akiyama if you could tie some bitchin' story to it.

But if you're having to stick to standard availability and stuff, I'd pick up a Doberman or a Stell Lynx and probably a LEBD-1 and mod them as best you can.
Tachi
eidlon beat me to most of what I would say on this, but I'll add that most vehicles also have pilot programs so you could also choose a bulldog van or citymaster as your main "body", which would even give you the room to mount a nexus inside, and rig other drones from there like a metahuman.
McAllister
Northrup Yellowjacket. Doesn't matter how small it is, an attack helicopter for 122,000 is friggin' sweet.
Chrysalis
Orbital defence laser.

Seriously though a bustamove or an otomo.

Cars like planes have the problem of not getting into every place. And you really do not want to be defeated by stairs.
eidolon
That's true, I wasn't really thinking of the vehicle possibilities. I would worry that my main body being a vehicle would make me kinda useless when the players went into a building, etc. Of course, regardless of what your main body is, you could send in a Flyspy, iBall, etc. and be where they were, at least for meets and stuff. But I think being in a "regular drone body" would be better from a metagame, actually playing session-to-session perspective.

I forget, was the character a "regular hacker in a drone body" or a "hacker/rigger in a drone" or what? I mean, regardless, I just don't think you could always get away with the "sit in the van (or in this case, be the van) and do everything remotely" thing.
CanRay
A 1982 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am, what else?

Hey, even AIs have to respect the classics.
Mortified Penguin
I prescribe a Mitsuhama Tomino disguised as an 8-year old. Then have it plead that it doesn't want to die and run up and grab their legs if the guards start shooting at it. The resulting creepiness factor should either ensure your home node survives or you get kicked from the group.

...What? Don't look at me like that.
McAllister
QUOTE (Mortified Penguin @ Sep 6 2009, 04:55 PM) *
I prescribe a Mitsuhama Tomino Akiyama disguised as an 8-year old. Then have it plead that it doesn't want to die and run up and grab their legs if the guards start shooting at it. The resulting creepiness factor should either ensure your home node survives or you get kicked from the group.

...What? Don't look at me like that.

Did I fix it right?
Mortified Penguin
QUOTE (McAllister @ Sep 6 2009, 10:57 PM) *
Did I fix it right?

Yeah, sorry, that's the one I meant. Principle's unchanged; no guard's gonna shoot an eight year old.
CanRay
QUOTE (Mortified Penguin @ Sep 6 2009, 03:59 PM) *
Yeah, sorry, that's the one I meant. Principle's unchanged; no guard's gonna shoot an eight year old.

Sure one is, especially if it's using "Hacker-Like Powers" like those Technomonsters!

Of course, the scientists would be severely upset at the damage done to the body when they do get it. wink.gif
Jaid
i'd consider keeping a (modded up) manservant drone as well. alternately, for social infiltrations, you may wish to grab one of those nifty wheelchair-type drones.
Tachi
I must not have been clear. What I meant was to use the mounted nexus as your home node, then you could always drive the van and rig from there, or move the nexus at will using other drones. There is a portable nexus that you may be able to build 'docking stations" for into all your major drones/vehicles. May not work if you have to pass as a metahuman, unless you make allowances and do the high number of modifications necessary. Slightly more complicated than just using a commlink or drone, but, IMO, more flexible and gives you more computing power at your digital fingertips. Just a thought. And, I have considered this at length for some of my own games.
Chrysalis
How about an Otomo in a wheel chair? He could introduce himself as Dr. Everett V. Scott.
Tachi
QUOTE (Chrysalis @ Sep 7 2009, 02:56 AM) *
How about an Otomo in a wheel chair? He could introduce himself as Dr. Everett V. Scott.

rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif

+1 for Chrysalis

Makes me wonder if that particular drone would need a satanic mechanic.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012