Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Beauty and you
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Chrysalis
Greets,

What kinds of elective surgeries would you see in 2072? I mean you can go out and get your hair replaced with fibre optics, what other kinds of physical enhancing surgeries will be commonplace?

What about having the whole foot reconstructed so you naturally wear high heels? Give yourself more inches? Have the skin covering your hands pulled back to reveal the knuckles and wrist? What others?

Maelstrome
worst case scenario.... furries, lots and lots of furries.
Glyph
There's always the old "look just like celebrity X" surgery. In one of Adam Warren's Dirty Pair stories, he gave it a twist by having a bad guy who had celebrity look-alike surgery to blend in. The premise being that surgery to look like a celebrity was so common, that people wouldn't blink an eye at it. I could see that for some of the bigger celebrities in Shadowrun. "Oh, look, it's another Neil the Ork Barbarian".

I could also see hip realignment combined with dietware to give formerly curvy people that waifishly thin look (bleh). Or maybe the same kind of inflatable reservoirs of pressurized gel used in breast implants, applied to the buttocks. Go from J-Lo to Bridget Fonda, at will.

I could see extra appendages. I'm surprised that there is no cybernetic equivalent of the prehensile tail already. You can already get a third eye if you want one. I could see people of one gender adding the extra plumbing/parts to become full-fledged hermaphrodites.
Rasumichin
QUOTE (Glyph @ Sep 8 2009, 01:34 AM) *
I could also see hip realignment combined with dietware to give formerly curvy people that waifishly thin look (bleh).

+1 both on your assumption and the bleh.

I could see extra appendages. I'm surprised that there is no cybernetic equivalent of the prehensile tail already.

There is one in Augmentation, available in all kinds of styles from furry to robotic to just plain outlandish.

You can already get a third eye if you want one. I could see people of one gender adding the extra plumbing/parts to become full-fledged hermaphrodites.

That's in Augmentation as well, including people who temporarily change their gender out of curiosity (i think gendernauting's even mentioned in the BBB).
Pendaric
"Do what you will as long is harms none, shall be the whole of the law." to paraphrase.
Or to sixth world this, "You got the cred, we got the tech and 'ware omae"

In a transhumanist club branding, skinweaving, cyber wings, cyclops eye lasers performer/ musicains, homaphidites, sex changes, furries anthropophised and other. Tails, tenticles, limbs, dye jobs, muscle replacements, tats of every variety, if we aint got you dont want it.

The club had top end scanners and each cleint was issued with a bracelet. Blue for zero ware, increase bands depeninding on amount of cyber (silver), bio (red), nano (green) or gene (White). Changeling and natural freaks (albinos for example) got a black bracelets instead of neon blue.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Pendaric @ Sep 8 2009, 05:52 PM) *
"Do what you will as long is harms none, shall be the whole of the law." to paraphrase.
Or to sixth world this, "You got the cred, we got the tech and 'ware omae"

I'd buy that for a dollar.
Rasumichin
Modular cyberlimbs are incredibly useful to blend in with different crowds- or to pick a limb suiting your wardrobe, if you're a particularly rich cyberfetishist.
And cyberfetishism is certainly something for a wealthy clientele, this kink can become quite expensive (which is part of it's appeal- "look, that guy spent at least 20 grand on his arm!").

Options include, among others :

-faux natural
Synthetic limbs are said to be immediately recognizable at closer inspection.
But certainly, one can work around this if using a carefully crafted limb, probably even with a cybergland to enable the artificial limb to sweat.
One could go a step further, utilizing the Mimic option from Arsenal (if it can be applied to drones, why not to limbs?) and cover the limb with vat-grown, living skin.
Such limbs are ideally suited for a more conservative environment, where cybernetic replacement is still frowned upon (or bioware snobs who view such enhancements as outdated abound).
Even today, there's women who get their toes surgically shortened for cosmetic reasons and to be able to wear certain shoes that otherwise wouldn't fit them.
Why not go all the way and get new feet instead?
No more blisters or smelly feet as an added bonus.

So much for the everyday solutions, but obvious limbs offer far more options :

-neo-industrial
the used-look of cyberlimbs, complete with fake rust and deliberately inflicted scratches and signs of wear.
If cyberglands are included, they will cover the limb in a coating of engine grease or dust.
Kinda ridiculous, especially in the eyes of cybered construction workers whose limbs look like this anyway (minus the rust, probably).

-antiquity style
utilizes coverings made from wood (sometimes even real wood), bone, minerals or tarnished metal.
Borrows liberally from historical styles, art deco furniture and various "medieval" fantasy designs being particularly popular.
By next year, ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics may make their big comeback (if you can afford it : etched in orichalcum).

As far as "official" hypes are concerned :

-steampunk look
it's terribly last year by now, but there's still people who run around with arms featuring intricate clockwork designs, lots of brass or fake pistons.
Some even produce actual steam via a cybergland.
For all the people who still wear useless goggles on their forehead.
Beginning to look gauche in the upper class, but many used limbs are finding their way to the streets, where demand is still high.

-Natice American design
if you're one of those kids in Neo-Tokyo who put a ridiculously large feather in their hair, you must have one of those.
Silver platings with turquoise inlays are particularly popular, but in some cases, a back-to-nature style with casings looking like bleached driftwood is also used.

-furry limb
As it says on the tin.

-fetish limbs
Latex, leather, lace or whatever is your particular kink.
In really extreme cases, expect a massive H. R. Giger ripoff.
Cf. the (expanded?) Hamburg section of Runner Havens or the München Noir camapign module (seems to a trend most popular in the AGS).

If you want a really unique showpiece, you won't bother with off-the-rack stuff, of course.
the_real_elwood
I think the most common surgeries you'd see would just be the simple cosmetic procedures to make people look like their ideal. But as far as more extreme cosmetic procedures go, it seems like there's really no limit in shadowrun. If you can dream it, and you've got the cred, someone out there can make it happen. Today's body-mod crowd would go wild. Plus, I don't know if anyone's suggested it before, but a clear skin replacement, so you can see the muscle underneath.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012