Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shooting A Projectile With A Projectile
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
CanadianWolverine
I'm going to go and put this down under the section one might think of "Rule of Cool" just so there is no confusion, this is just a bit of imagination I am pondering and was wondering what others might think of it:

What if a character decided that instead of using Dodge + Reaction (+ Edge?) for Ranged combat Defense, if going up against an opponent who was shooting at them with single shot or semi auto, they used Firearms Skill + Reaction instead to try to shoot the opposing incoming projectile. (Yes, yes, I know this is totally unrealistic, please see me referring to the unreality of "Rule of Cool") In this Opposed Test, exceeding the hits of the opponent would result in the two moving projectiles hitting each other and the specific effects would depend on what those projectiles were - momentum being what it is and if the GM decides there is anything left of the projectiles, could then roll a random direction like with a grenade for where that shrapnel flies to from the two projectiles. If there is a tie, then the projectiles just miss each other and follow on to what they were going to hit anyways, the two opponents both of who at least get to roll Reaction. If there Full Defense guy gets less hits, well he totally misses both projectile and where that projectile is coming from but at least still rolls Reaction. Glitch and FD gal gets negative to Reaction, say -6 plus the hits they did get. And Critical Glitch is no Reaction roll.

So, what do you think of this bit of silliness? This silliness was inspired by entertainment like the movie Wanted.
Dragnar
Not touching the "Rule of Cool"-part (because it's entirely subjective), that change would make Dodge even less useful than it already is, while strengthening ranged weapon skills, which are powerful enough already.
If you just need the "Rule of Cool"-part, then what's the problem in just narrating a successful dodge roll of an armed person to have happend because they shot the incoming bullet away, without changing the rules?
CanadianWolverine
Thank for the response.

Not trying to change the rules, I was just picturing some gunfu type thing happening within the something that looked like the other actual rules, so if anything, change my example rules, not any actual rules.

So, if just using the dodge rules then allowing the dodger to lose a few bullets from their clip to describe that dodge, I am totally cool with that. If it both still has me imagining the gunfu scene, its all good.

This is just some silly idea anyways, just putting it out there for fun to see what others think, so again, appreciate the thoughts and I will keep that in mind when thinking about dodge skill.
Draco18s
Gun Fu is already statted out. Crack open Arsenal and check the Martial Arts style Krav Maga and Firefight.
CanadianWolverine
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Sep 12 2009, 05:41 AM) *
Gun Fu is already statted out. Crack open Arsenal and check the Martial Arts style Krav Maga and Firefight.

Thanks for the tip, first chance I get I will pick up the extra SR4A books.

Hmm, an amendment to my imaginings, what if it also required a Called Shot of some kind, so there are further negatives so as to avoid over powering firearms/bow/knife/grenade launcher/rocks/whatever projectile. So, -4 and upwards dice pool modifier for the defender?
Draco18s
The two styles basically grant a bonus to ranged dodge.

As for your stunt....personally I'd have to say a prepared action plus an intuition+perception test (high threshold) to know where he's going to shoot, followed by your attack at some crazy penalty. You don't just shoot bullets out of the air.
Draco18s
The two styles basically grant a bonus to ranged dodge.

As for your stunt....personally I'd have to say a prepared action plus an intuition+perception test (high threshold) to know where he's going to shoot, followed by your attack at some crazy penalty. You don't just shoot bullets out of the air.
Hartbaine
Why not just say 'it happens'?

Think about it for a second, if it's something you think is cool and you want to see it in your game then let it happen from time to time. No stats, just strictly narrative for the scope of action. As an example in a game I ran a long time ago one of the PCs had an NPC that could best be described as an 'Arch Enemy'. They had a past and one would occasionally show up in story to dog each others heels.

In one instance they entered combat and for the opening salvo of bullets both scored an equal number of hits on the other with an identical initiative. I simply used the strangeness of the situation to the story's advantage by saying the two burst fire shots simply collided in the air one bullet at time. A bit stupified at the impossibility of what they just saw happen they shared a comedic moment of 'WTF' and then dropped the guns and went right into kung fu.

The point is people seem to want to stat everything when it's not necessary. You're playing a game of action and impossibilities so learn to just say 'to hell with it' and if you think shooting a projectile out of the air would be dramatically appropriate then make it happen. If not, then wait for a time when the moment 'feels right'.
eidolon
I agree with Hartbaine. If the mechanical effect is no different than having succeeded at Full Defense (i.e., the character is not hit) then "why" the character wasn't hit is irrelevant except for fluff and flavor.

I suppose you could make it another exception to the Att + Skill and allow the character to roll Dodge + Pistols, but I'd likely just stick with describing it.
CanadianWolverine
Thank you very much for the replies and I find myself agreeing with you all the way. Sorry for bringing stats into it, I was just trying to ask if my fellow Dumpers thought any of my hair brained imagining of various projectiles meeting while still in flight made any sense. I picture bullets setting off explosives mid flight, two grenades bouncing off of each other, a arrow piercing a rocket, and other various weird moments in ranged. This is what happens when you start day dreaming after reading the entry on Called Shot, in particular its open ended last entry:
page 161 SR4A
- The gamemaster may also allow other specific effects for called shots if he chooses. For example, you could use called shots to knock an opponent over a ledge, shoot out a tire, temporarily blind an opponent, etc.

So I started trying to imagine the "etc." but the part I seem to be at a loss to come up with a good dice pool modifier that seems in line with the other called shots, so it seems like either -4 or something related to what is taken away from the opponent, like in the case of armor.

To that end, I love this story:
In one instance they entered combat and for the opening salvo of bullets both scored an equal number of hits on the other with an identical initiative. I simply used the strangeness of the situation to the story's advantage by saying the two burst fire shots simply collided in the air one bullet at time. A bit stupified at the impossibility of what they just saw happen they shared a comedic moment of 'WTF' and then dropped the guns and went right into kung fu.

Much appreciated Hartbaine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012