Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Strength and Recoil
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Hartbaine
Sorry for the dumb question, but doesn't strength in SR 4 offset recoil? I know I have to blind if it's in the book and I'm not seeing it.

We have a new Troll in the group who specializes in heavy weapons with an ungodly strength score and he was wondering if it helped his recoil. I can't seem to find it anywhere. Is it in Arsenal?
Orcus Blackweather
They have removed the benefit for high strength vs recoil in SR 4. You didn't miss it, it is not there.
AngelisStorm
pg. 163 of Arsenal
eidolon
Ask and ye shall receive:

QUOTE (Arsenal @ p.163)
RECOIL AND STRENGTH
In addition to modifications to the weapons and various accessories, characters can reduce a weapon's recoil penalty simply by having extraordinary Strength. A character with Strength of 6-9 has 1 point of recoil compensation, Strength 10-13 has 2 points, Strength 14-17 has 3 points, and Strength 18+ has 4 points.

Awesome book. I highly recommend picking it up if you haven't. smile.gif
Hartbaine
Awesome, thanks.

Oh, I have Arsenal, and it's a great book. Couldn't for the life of me find that page, heh.

Thanks to Arsenal we have an Elven gunslinger adept named 'Doc'. His birth name is Morris Holiday. He uses a pair of Cavalier Deputies... although cheesy, I must admit the PC is pulling it off nicely without going too over the top, yet.
AngelisStorm
That's awsome.

However, "Doc" needs to get himself a Remington Roomsweeper. Doc Holiday during the gunfight carried a sawed-off shotgun, and some accounts put said shotgun as having done half the damage during the fight.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Orcus Blackweather @ Sep 12 2009, 06:02 PM) *
They have removed the benefit for high strength vs recoil in SR 4. You didn't miss it, it is not there.

Hey Orcus... Check out Arsenal...
Stingray
QUOTE (Hartbaine @ Sep 13 2009, 03:57 AM) *
Awesome, thanks.

Oh, I have Arsenal, and it's a great book. Couldn't for the life of me find that page, heh.

Thanks to Arsenal we have an Elven gunslinger adept named 'Doc'. His birth name is Morris Holiday. He uses a pair of Cavalier Deputies... although cheesy, I must admit the PC is pulling it off nicely without going too over the top, yet.

Why Cavalier when you can have Warhawk?...Firing Selection Change (SA),Personalized Grip, Internal/External
Smartgun System and goggles/classes/contacts w/smartlink...Add APDS rounds.. biggrin.gif
eidolon
Sometimes I'll pick weapons for a character based on "I've never had or seen a character use this."

You gotta mix it up. smile.gif
Hartbaine
QUOTE (Stingray)
Why Cavalier when you can have Warhawk?...Firing Selection Change (SA),Personalized Grip, Internal/External, Smartgun System and goggles/classes/contacts w/smartlink...Add APDS rounds.. biggrin.gif

Because he liked the look of the gun, it fit his 'theme' for the PC, and it actually had a 'western' style name to it. Besides, not having to switch the Firing Selection saves him 1 slot for other improvements. He's happy with it, and doing fine so far, so more power to him. biggrin.gif

Like Eidolon said though, sometimes you have to just go with it and select items based what you like, or haven't done before, instead of solely on the numbers.
Stingray
QUOTE (Hartbaine @ Sep 13 2009, 07:20 PM) *
Because he liked the look of the gun, it fit his 'theme' for the PC, and it actually had a 'western' style name to it. Besides, not having to switch the Firing Selection saves him 1 slot for other improvements. He's happy with it, and doing fine so far, so more power to him. biggrin.gif

Like Eidolon said though, sometimes you have to just go with it and select items based what you like, or haven't done before, instead of solely on the numbers.

i agree with you.. but i would like to know does your gunslinger have double holsters a la "Tombstone" ?
Hartbaine
Heh, he's not mine, he a player in my group, but yes he does go with the double holster look. He wears a black n silver 10 gallon with a black secure long coat and half body FFBA. I required him to take the 'distinctive style' quality and since Arsenal he's looking to upgrade his guns with the personalized look, he just hasn't decided on what look he likes.

Thus far he's pulling it off incredibly well. He chews a matchstick or a toothpick at the table and does his best to keep a southern drawl going during any IC interaction. He speaks in a low, lazy voice and plays the PC like he is truly carefree. So far he's racked up more RP bonus karma and one liner karma than any player I've had in a long time, and more power to him, it keeps the game worth playing. smile.gif
Stingray
QUOTE (Hartbaine @ Sep 13 2009, 10:15 PM) *
Heh, he's not mine, he a player in my group, but yes he does go with the double holster look. He wears a black n silver 10 gallon with a black secure long coat and half body FFBA. I required him to take the 'distinctive style' quality and since Arsenal he's looking to upgrade his guns with the personalized look, he just hasn't decided on what look he likes.

Thus far he's pulling it off incredibly well. He chews a matchstick or a toothpick at the table and does his best to keep a southern drawl going during any IC interaction. He speaks in a low, lazy voice and plays the PC like he is truly carefree. So far he's racked up more RP bonus karma and one liner karma than any player I've had in a long time, and more power to him, it keeps the game worth playing. smile.gif

i would say wearing a 10 gallon hat on the run is REAL distinctive style.. wink.gif
Stahlseele
*sigh* elven Gunslinger Adept . . Putting a 10 Gallon Hat on a 0,5 Gallon Head . .
TBRMInsanity
Maybe it's just me but I wouldn't allow the Arsenal optional rule in my games without having a corresponding increase to recoil for exceptionally weak characters.
1-3 +1 to recoil
4-6 Normal
7-9 -1 to recoil
10-12 -2 to recoil
13-15 -3 to recoil
and so forth.

Stahlseele
I can live with that.
but i don't play SR4. I don't play in your group.
And i certainly don't play Characters with Strength below 6 ^^
Kerenshara
QUOTE (TBRMInsanity @ Sep 13 2009, 04:10 PM) *
Maybe it's just me but I wouldn't allow the Arsenal optional rule in my games without having a corresponding increase to recoil for exceptionally weak characters.
1-3 +1 to recoil
4-6 Normal
7-9 -1 to recoil
10-12 -2 to recoil
13-15 -3 to recoil
and so forth.

I disagree with the first one; As listed the AVERAGE person has +1 Recoil. The system was WRITTEN assuming STRength 3. I'd change it as 1-2 +1, 3-6 Normal. Only EXCEPTIONALLY high stats bring any bonus (read: out of sapiens human normal). Remember also that those numbers aren't really linear, they're becoming geometrically more powerful as you rise, so the flat chart already has an element of diminishing returns factored in by default.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012