Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jamming RFIDs in SR4A
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
RunnerPaul
So I noticed that in SR4A, you're allowed to whitelist any number of known wireless devices from your own jamming attempts. Since the typical paranoid runner already knows which of his devices he wants to have wireless connectivity, just put those on the whitelist, and use jamming to take care of all the unknown RFID tags that come embedded in food or sewn into the hems of undergarments.

The catch is, it'd take Rating 2 jamming to nullify just the standard tags. If you're using area jamming, that means a 10 meter sphere where low powered devices suddenly stop talking, which can be conspicuous in and of itself. However, we do have the example of the headjammer, which uses proximity to the signals that are being jammed to prevent leaking of the jamming effect to the surrounding area. It shouldn't be too hard to expand the concept into a full-body jammer, and in fact, given the ease with implanting a transmitter in places other than the head, I'd almost expect the authorities to already have such a thing.

Thoughts?
eidolon
I'd just use a tag eraser. Are you talking about as a running defense for tags that somebody tries to stick you with on the go?
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (eidolon @ Sep 12 2009, 11:53 PM) *
I'd just use a tag eraser.

Given the stagering number of tags that are embedded into everything acording to some of the fluff, the idea of having to tag erase everything gets a little daunting. Plus, for covert undercover work, sometimes you just can't whip out the tag-eraser when you need to.
Marwynn
Well Arsenal has a Smart Jammer that can block only specific signals.

I admit I don't exactly get what you're aiming at. Do you want a jammer that blocks your own signals? Or at least those signals originating from your person?
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Marwynn @ Sep 13 2009, 01:35 AM) *
Well Arsenal has a Smart Jammer that can block only specific signals.

I had forgotten about, that one. Useful bit of gear, lets you single out a particular wireless device, and jam it specifically, without jamming everything else in the range. Also says that it can jam any device in its range not pre-identified as "friendly", but the wording of the rule for Jam Signal from SR4A seems to indicate that this second function can be performed with any jamming device:

QUOTE (SR4A, p. 231)
You may choose any number of known devices to be excluded from the jamming when you initiate the jamming, and may change the list with another Jam Signals action.

Still, the Smart Jammer's probably exactly what I'm looking for. Direct it to pick out any signals originating on your person that aren't from the predefined friendly devices list and jam them, and tell it not to touch any other signals in its range. This will result in the effect I was looking for: keeping RFID tags from ratting you out without having to specifically hunt every last one of them down with your tag eraser, while still being able to use your own wireless devices, and without interfering with the RF traffic around you.
eidolon
True enough, the tag eraser might not be quick enough. That "1cm" thing is silly, too. Think I'll change that for my games.

The Smart Jammer sounds workable enough.

Frankly, I treat RFID's as a plot device most of the time. I have no desire to keep track of each time the players eat or buy new undies. smile.gif
McAllister
Remember, security tags are unerasable, and it's hard to find (and therefore jam) the transmissions from a stealth tag. Imho, six headjammers hidden about your person would get the job done.
Paul
QUOTE (RunnerPaul @ Sep 12 2009, 10:58 PM) *
So I noticed that in SR4A, you're allowed to whitelist any number of known wireless devices from your own jamming attempts. Since the typical paranoid runner already knows which of his devices he wants to have wireless connectivity, just put those on the whitelist, and use jamming to take care of all the unknown RFID tags that come embedded in food or sewn into the hems of undergarments.

How difficult would it be to disable these devices? I'm assuming that these RFID tags can't be that complicated-I mean we're discussing clothing, food and other consumable and perishable goods right? Items with a planned obsolescence right?

I'm not a tech savvy guy, but trashing a hard drive isn't too hard right? And as I understand it an RFID isn't that complicated right? Or am I completely wrong here?
eidolon
Trash a hard drive: do a secure wipe via software, run a strong electromagnet over it a few times, open the case, separate the platters, drill holes in the platters, smash what's left into pieces, and make sure those pieces make it to different dumps if possible.

If you want it to just not physically work, drill holes through it and hit it with a sledge a few times.

RFIDs aren't complicated at all, from what I know about them. Passive ones require a reader to pick up the stuff that's magnetically stored on them. Active ones are powered and actively beam out their info to something that's capable of reading it. Strong magnet and hit it with a hammer.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Paul @ Sep 13 2009, 08:55 PM) *
Or am I completely wrong here?

The big catch is the fact that per the setting fluff, RFIDs in the 2070s can be nigh microscopic -- there are a couple of different examples of tags being applied via aerosol spray. When they're that small, sticking your underwear under a steamroller after purchase or smashing your candybar to a paper thin paste with your sledgehammer before eating it may not be enough to destroy the tag. And again, if you're trying to keep undercover, you may find yourself in a situation where you can't sledgehammer it before eating it.
Iduno
RFID tags can be pretty easily destroyed by smashing them. Microwaving them for a few seconds is pretty satisfying, and effective.
Kumo
QUOTE (RunnerPaul @ Sep 14 2009, 10:33 PM) *
The big catch is the fact that per the setting fluff, RFIDs in the 2070s can be nigh microscopic -- there are a couple of different examples of tags being applied via aerosol spray.

If we are talking about RFIDs in normal meal, or attached to something legally bought... Think: who will buy jacket/food/soap/anything, if it would be also a tracking device? Even most of ordinary people wouldn't. If a corp produces anything puposed to be sold at normal, legal shops, the corp wants people's trust. So I think that:
1) RFIDs in food are made to deactivate after ingestion.
2) RFIDs attached to any normal object in shop are easy to spot and deactivate. Security tags (anti-thief system) are deactivated by shop's personnel.

Of course, tags used for spying or security purposes are different thing. They may be added to your food or clothing, but someone has to do it. So scan a clerk in your favourite Stuffer's Shack and change shopping habits from time to time.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Kumo @ Sep 15 2009, 09:14 AM) *
If we are talking about RFIDs in normal meal, or attached to something legally bought... Think: who will buy jacket/food/soap/anything, if it would be also a tracking device? Even most of ordinary people wouldn't. If a corp produces anything puposed to be sold at normal, legal shops, the corp wants people's trust.

The corps don't give two shits about trust, its all about nuyen. And as for whether or not people would buy things that could possibly be used to track them, it's an established piece of canon that most all of the populace carries their commlinks with them in order to stay connected 24/7. Why would the average wageslave care about a dozen or two more radio signals broadcast alongside the big one that's loudly announcing their public profile to the world? It's only the paranoid types with something to hide (like most runners) who would even consider going to the trouble of circumventing the conveniences of the modern 2070s world just to achieve radio silence.
Kumo
QUOTE (RunnerPaul @ Sep 15 2009, 09:52 PM) *
The corps don't give two shits about trust, its all about nuyen.

But if people will not trust corp A, they will buy gear from corp B. And income of corp A will go down.

And as for whether or not people would buy things that could possibly be used to track them, it's an established piece of canon that most all of the populace carries their commlinks with them in order to stay connected 24/7. Why would the average wageslave care about a dozen or two more radio signals broadcast alongside the big one that's loudly announcing their public profile to the world?

Today we can be tracked easily by locating our cellphones or usage of credit card. And we don't care. But if every cellphone comes with interceptor, every clothing has installed a bug etc. - that's another thing. Of course, if you don't want to get rid of RFIDs (and I agree that probably most of ordinary people don't), it's your choice. But still you must have a choice to feel comfortable, so it can't be a problem to locate RFIDs and trash them or just turn off using PAN - if they are not really spying devices, they subscribe to your PAN, right?
Paul
QUOTE (Kumo @ Sep 16 2009, 10:03 AM) *
But if people will not trust corp A, they will buy gear from corp B. And income of corp A will go down.

Well, I think that's why they'd LIE. Shocking I know. Now don't get me wrong, I don't think you're totally off base here, which is why I think this wouldn't be a game they played publicly, and if they were caught I suspect it'd be like a game of musical chairs.

Today we can be tracked easily by locating our cellphones or usage of credit card. And we don't care.

Who's we kemo sabe? The debate over advertising is far from over. I doubt 2070 would see it's death knell. (I agree it could certainly complicate things, but end? I say thee nay!)
Mister Book
Can't speak for everyone else, but I deal in cash and I use payphones.
LurkerOutThere
QUOTE (Mister Book @ Sep 16 2009, 04:29 PM) *
Can't speak for everyone else, but I deal in cash and I use payphones.

WHere do you live? I can't recall the last free standing payphone I saw I only see them in airports and some convenience stores now.
Mister Book
Gas stations, grocery stores, malls, hospitals. All over.
Kumo
SR4A confirmed my belief about one more thing: all those ads, arrows, commcalls etc. make REALLY much noise. So much, that tracking anybody using wireless means is pretty hard, nearly impossible without spying devices (like security tags).
Paul
Could you elaborate? I'm not new to Shadowrun, but I am behind on SR4.
Tachi
QUOTE (eidolon @ Sep 14 2009, 01:43 PM) *
RFIDs aren't complicated at all, from what I know about them. Passive ones require a reader to pick up the stuff that's magnetically stored on them. Active ones are powered and actively beam out their info to something that's capable of reading it. Strong magnet and hit it with a hammer.

I just wrote a paper on RFIDs and electronic tracking for one of my computer classes, so, here's my .02 nuyen.gif .

Passive RFIDs do transmit their info, they don't have an internal power source so they use the incoming "ping" signal to power the transmission, due to the low level of power involved their range, now, is usually no more than 3 meters, however there have been instances of readers picking up signals from passive RFIDs up to 50 feet away, it just depends on how strong the ping signal was, the stronger the ping, the stronger the transmission. I believe that this design flaw may have been fixed in the newer generations of RFIDs, allowing only VERY weak signals, only a few inches in some cases like the ones in the new U.S. passports, so all this could be a moot point.

Just a while back there was a big (in public privacy advocate and computer circles) controversy about Gillette putting permanent RFIDs in their Mach line of razors, thereby making it possible to monitor who their customers were. That policy has since been discontinued due to public backlash. That does not mean others are not doing the same though.

Not all RFIDs are deactivated by stores. Just the security/inventory tracking ones. It has been proven that you can follow someone home by tracking a RFID tag on something they just bought.

The idea in Shadowrun, or so I've gathered, is that a person can go to a Stuffer Shack and pick up what they want then have the sale automatically debit it from the account through their commlink (if their gear is configured for such a transaction). This would mean that the tags in your stuff would still be active when you left the store. I've also gathered that the RFIDs in your food would be destroyed during digestion, which means there would be a period of time where it could still be read from inside you.

As to destroying or wiping them, yeah, a microwave oven works, or a strong magnetic field. I don't think the hammer example would work in Shadowrun, the RFIDs are (as someone already mentioned) nearly microscopic.

Here are just a few examples of what someone can do with RFID Tags.

Edit: To the management: I realize that you have set up this system to make it easier for laymen computer users to post links, however, I actually know how to do so myself and your software keeps screwing with me if I don't use "Quick Edit" or "QuickReply", and your link insertion tool keeps giving me error codes when I try to use it! Just thought I'd vent a little, sorry.
Kumo
Oops... That part in SR4A is mostly about visual data. My mistake.

But to trace any RFID-tag, one must to spot that particular tag. Runner bought a jacket? Probably few or more guys in the same mall did it before, and RFIDs in those jackets broadcasts the same data. And stuff on shelves, and other people's stuff broadcasts it's own data. And the shadowing person must find one particular signal. Of course, if she alredy knows that signal, things are easier - but that means legwork and/or cleverness.
The idea in Shadowrun, or so I've gathered, is that a person can go to a Stuffer Shack and pick up what they want then have the sale automatically debit it from the account through their commlink (if their gear is configured for such a transaction). This would mean that the tags in your stuff would still be active when you left the store.

But once again: I think that RFIDs on your gear are programmed to become part of your PAN, so you can turn them off easily. IF they weren't hidden or re-programmed on purpose.
I've also gathered that the RFIDs in your food would be destroyed during digestion, which means there would be a period of time where it could still be read from inside you.

About few minutes at best, I think. And again: other people in restaurant could eat the same meal as target...

Of course, it is possible to trace particular RFID. But it's hard, especialy in spam/static zones.

Nasty ideas. Interesting for runners. But how will it all work, if device must scan few hundreds or thousands tags nearly simultaneously?

QUOTE (Paul @ Sep 18 2009, 01:47 AM) *
Could you elaborate? I'm not new to Shadowrun, but I am behind on SR4.

But what exactly You need to know? You know how Wireless Matrix works, or just started with SR4?
CanadianWolverine
QUOTE (Tachi @ Sep 17 2009, 06:34 PM) *

Thank you for your post and that link, it is very informative.

For some reason, this part of the linked doc strikes me as very interesting:
3 CONCLUSION
This paper is purposely limited in scope to providing a model for RFID threats to the security of a
system. It does not cover privacy or threat mitigation. Many RFID threats can be detected and/or
managed by conventional security management approaches but not if system developers fail to
identify potential threats.
Future work will include assigning risk to each threat to obtain a
quantitative score, sorting threats from the highest to lowest risks, and proposing and evaluating
techniques to mitigate the threats with higher risks.

So, do you think that in SR4A 2072 that RFID tech has failed to identify potential threats? IMHO, I think it has and it hasn't, based on their being different types of tags. I think there is like a priority thing going on, where how important something is determines what kind of tag it gets, with the Corps basicly saying to themselves that majority of their market, normal every day Joe metahuman, won't be doing this or that with technical knowledge of the tags, so the tags are just there to keep the shmucks honest. I think some of the stuff in the system would be purposely not even tagged by corps.

Sure makes a certain level of technical proficiency with tags and the appropriate equipment seem important to being a Pro type runner. And making your own or modifying stuff seems like it would be important too so as to remain suitably dark aka shadowed.
Rotbart van Dainig
Get a HERF gun. Kills even Security Tags.
CanadianWolverine
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Sep 19 2009, 11:02 AM) *
Get a HERF gun. Kills even Security Tags.

HERF gun? Did I over look something or is that in a book other than the SR4A BBB?
Jaid
QUOTE (CanadianWolverine @ Sep 19 2009, 02:09 PM) *
HERF gun? Did I over look something or is that in a book other than the SR4A BBB?

iirc, it's in arsenal.
Tachi
QUOTE (CanadianWolverine @ Sep 19 2009, 12:00 PM) *
Thank you for your post and that link, it is very informative.

No problem.

So, do you think that in SR4A 2072 that RFID tech has failed to identify potential threats? IMHO, I think it has and it hasn't, based on their being different types of tags. I think there is like a priority thing going on, where how important something is determines what kind of tag it gets, with the Corps basicly saying to themselves that majority of their market, normal every day Joe metahuman, won't be doing this or that with technical knowledge of the tags, so the tags are just there to keep the shmucks honest. I think some of the stuff in the system would be purposely not even tagged by corps.

I don't think anyone, in SR or RL, has any idea how bad it's actually gonna get.

Sure makes a certain level of technical proficiency with tags and the appropriate equipment seem important to being a Pro type runner. And making your own or modifying stuff seems like it would be important too so as to remain suitably dark aka shadowed.

Very much so, IMO.
Hell, I'm working on it myself in RL.
BTW, I've got a list of reference links from my paper (it was submitted electronically), it has the different current RL tracking techs that I wrote the paper on, and their uses, separated into legitimate uses and illegitimate uses, if anyone wants it. It's kinda rough and ugly, but if you want it PM me. It's nowhere near a complete listing, but it should point you in the right direction. I spent about 12 hours online just weeding through this crap, doesn't make sense not to get more use out of it.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Kumo @ Sep 19 2009, 09:58 AM) *
But to trace any RFID-tag, one must to spot that particular tag. Runner bought a jacket? Probably few or more guys in the same mall did it before, and RFIDs in those jackets broadcasts the same data. And stuff on shelves, and other people's stuff broadcasts it's own data. And the shadowing person must find one particular signal. Of course, if she alredy knows that signal, things are easier - but that means legwork and/or cleverness.

one thing about RFID, vs the barcode its "hoped" to replace, is that it can id each individual product in a production run, rather then just the type of product.

so basically, each product will have its own serial number, on top of product type, brand, and whatever other data the company wants to put in there...

remember, we can today put a nice collection of text, audio and video onto something the size of a fingernail, and SR4 do not bother with storage space as one can either stuff it on some online server or some chip somewhere on/in your body...

i would say that any runner worth his/her pay will have routines when it comes to RFID, routines resulting in neither the player nor the GM really worrying about someone being stopped at the door because his is broadcasting the wrong kind of lunch...

one can do one of two things, either blank it fully, tho that may well make you look like the proverbial hole in the ocean, or rewrite the tags so that they appear to match company policy.

all in all, only worry about RFID when it would be appropriate, like say when the runners are hired to grab something/someone, or something similar like that...

another option is to make it clear how pervasive the RFID thing is, by having the product come with a AR manual embedded in a RFID chip inside it...
Kumo
one thing about RFID, vs the barcode its "hoped" to replace, is that it can id each individual product in a production run, rather then just the type of product.

so basically, each product will have its own serial number, on top of product type, brand, and whatever other data the company wants to put in there...

But one has to know serial number of the RFID to trace it's signal. Have it given or find it single-handedly. Then trace it in a crowd of signals (many of them not identical, but similar), by many transmitters. So it's possible that hacker or his gear make a glitch, especially in spam or staic zone. Or signal can be lost because of interferences - jammers, buildings etc. So to detect target is easy, but finding it amidst many other nodes probably require a test.
Paul
QUOTE (Kumo @ Sep 19 2009, 02:58 AM) *
But what exactly You need to know? You know how Wireless Matrix works, or just started with SR4?

Sorry it's taken so long to reply, but duty calls. I think my question has been answered.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012