Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roadblocks
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Chrysalis
Greets,

How do roadstrips work in SR4?

One thing I have been thinking of is how do you classify a road strip which is a chain held up at wheel height, which is sunk into on each end into 200 gallon oil drums filled with concrete? In RL that will rip off the axle of even a truck, how does it work in SR?

Paul
As I understand it concrete weighs about 130-140 pounds per cubic foot. And if I'm not mistaken it's 1 US gallon = 0.133680556 cubic feet. So let's round up and say 27 cubic feet, so that's what? 3780 lbs each? I'd say the weak point would be the chain here.
Hartbaine
The chain would break.

You're better of going with spikes on the ground (to force a crash test) or cemented posts anchored into the pavement, like the kind used at some toll areas.
Chrysalis
My mistake. I was talking about the 55-gallon drum (known as a 44-gallon drum in the United Kingdom, and increasingly in Australia as a 200-litre drum).

That would put the weight down in each drum to roughly 993 pounds.
Earlydawn
Here's a better one: take your same drums, and thread a couple hundred strands of monowire between them. Vehicle screwed.
kzt
USG security fences are reinforced with aircraft cable anchored to very large concrete blocks (deadman). When the gates are closed they are hooked to the system.

The cables are not going to break.
Paul
Another option is to make use of tight terrain. If you could park a few cars on the street, or anything that forces your opponent into a box where their movement is limited, from there it's pretty simple to end their forward movement in a sudden heart wrenching fashion. Obviously this relies on a few factors you may not be able to control, but it's worth considering.
StealthSigma
No one's given the obvious answer for a roadblock?

F10 Fire Spirit.
Paul
Magic is surely a possibility, but it also opens you up to a lot of possible detection methods.
CanRay
Earth Elemental which summons up a wall of Duracrete for the Roadblock, then smooths it out later for the rest of traffic.

Alternatively, and if magical resources aren't available, a series of squad cars parked nose to bumper, and being used for cover by the Cops with Rifles and Shotguns.
DWC
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 14 2009, 11:15 AM) *
Earth Elemental which summons up a wall of Duracrete for the Roadblock, then smooths it out later for the rest of traffic.

Alternatively, and if magical resources aren't available, a series of squad cars parked nose to bumper, and being used for cover by the Cops with Rifles and Shotguns.

Didn't stop Jake and Elwood. Didn't stop Neil McCauley and Chris Shiherlis. If I have to build a road block, it's going to be a mix of garbage, construction debris, and burning tires at least 6 feet high and at least 12 feet deep at the base, tapering to about 6 feet deep at the top, steeper on the hostile side than on the friendly side to increase its' resistance to being pushed or climbed.

CanRay
It's not supposed to stop the 'Runners. It's supposed to be a nice chance to smash the drek out of a bunch of squad cars! nyahnyah.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012