Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: real life drones
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
TBRMInsanity
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Sep 17 2009, 12:50 AM) *

I saw something about this on Daily Planet (Discovery Channel) a while back and it looked promising.
Bugfoxmaster
Dude... There have been things like this for a while... unmanned robotic things are pretty common now. Missile drones, flyers like this, bomb-disposal units, and so on...
CodeBreaker
QUOTE (Bugfoxmaster @ Sep 17 2009, 04:51 PM) *
Dude... There have been things like this for a while... unmanned robotic things are pretty common now. Missile drones, flyers like this, bomb-disposal units, and so on...

Yup, the UK Police have quite a few as well, they dont look quite as awesome as the one linked but still.

http://fightingcrimefromabove.com/uk-polic...illance-camera/
Aedosen
I wonder if a similar design would work underwater.
hobgoblin
well the text talked about 3 sizes, with the biggest one being in the order of a small car (about 1,5 tons).

the middle one was the most interesting, as it was described as about 10kg, and could potentially be used as a weapons platform...

and while yes, there have been similar ones in use for a while now, this thing have very few exposed parts.

if the skirt/hood/whatever is made bullet/fragment resistant, it may well be hard to take down unless you can hit it square in the fan...
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Sep 18 2009, 03:23 AM) *
well the text talked about 3 sizes, with the biggest one being in the order of a small car (about 1,5 tons).

the middle one was the most interesting, as it was described as about 10kg, and could potentially be used as a weapons platform...

and while yes, there have been similar ones in use for a while now, this thing have very few exposed parts.

if the skirt/hood/whatever is made bullet/fragment resistant, it may well be hard to take down unless you can hit it square in the fan...

Dudes, have you ever seen this? (look for dog bot) A friend of mine showed us this during a robotics seminary here in college. It is supposed to work as an all-terrain pack-mule to carry all the heavy ordnance. In my humble opinion, this will never work.
Here is why: Imagine you are a 3rd world country guerrilla soldier ambushing an "evil american" platoon and you see this freakish thing walking behind them like an abomination from hell. Who do you shoot?
A- the soldiers?
B- that scary thing carrying a lot of stuff that no real pack-mule could ever dream of carrying?

I would go with B.
hobgoblin
park a rpg in the bot and change to AK while the soldier gets back up...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012