Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Feds
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Razor Wolf
Can anyone point me to some info on the (UCAS/CAS) FBI in the Sixth World? Anything will be helpful. Thanks.

(My apologies if this has been stated before, the search funtion won't let me use 3-letter keywords.)
Khyron
I'm pretty sure they still exist.
Twilights_Herald
Might be something in Loose Alliances or the section on Intelligence in SOTA 2064? Both are SR3 books.
nezumi
According to Shadows of North America, there IS still an FBI in the UCAS (and Secret Service and UCAS Marshals). Still part of the judicial branch. Supposedly some recent budget increases, and they're branching more into magic/paranormal. They're, overall, pretty top-of-the-line. Remember, the federal government is going to take on those jobs that private contractors can't do (because of legal problems - but since corporations cross state bounds regardless, the old problem of criminals crossing through states is no longer going to be the dominant reason for FBI coming on the scene), and jobs that aren't profitable for corps to take on - i.e. very expensive, with low payout. FBI is going to be a tough, pretty elite group. Their jurisdiction hasn't changed much, except to include Matrix crimes.

The CAS has the Department of Domestic Investigation. Since CAS trusts corps a bit less, I'd assume their DDI jumps in more for issues crossing state lines. They also have a special group for dirty 'prevention operations', like wetwork and terror campaigns.
brennanhawkwood
IIRC UCAS FBI has shown up periodically as opponents and/or 'allies' in several modules through the years (such as Double Exposure) and the shadowrun timeline has several mentions of them.

I don't know if they've ever been formally written up, but I would start by looking in one or another of the Shadows of North America type books to see if they are mentioned in the UCAS sections of those books.
Mäx
QUOTE (Twilights_Herald @ Sep 21 2009, 03:11 PM) *
Might be something in Loose Alliances or the section on Intelligence in SOTA 2064? Both are SR3 books.

negative for both of those.

edit. Ghost Cartel has stats for "FBI Emergency Response Team" among other thinks.
Warlordtheft
I don't have the book on me, but Target: UCAS might have info on the FBI, CIA, DIA, NSA, Secret Service, Coast Guard, BATF, US Marshalls, and other Government security agencies.
MJBurrage
The FBI Seattle Organized Crime Taskforce (OCT), and an FBI 8-man ERT unit, are used in Ghost Cartels:
  • FBI Hughes Kestrel C (armed transport helicopter)
  • FBI Emergency Response Team (Professional Rating 5) which includes:
    • FBI ERT Sniper
    • FBI ERT Commander
    • FBI ERT Combat Mage
Drraagh
QUOTE (nezumi @ Sep 21 2009, 09:56 AM) *
According to Shadows of North America, there IS still an FBI in the UCAS (and Secret Service and UCAS Marshals). Still part of the judicial branch. Supposedly some recent budget increases, and they're branching more into magic/paranormal. They're, overall, pretty top-of-the-line. Remember, the federal government is going to take on those jobs that private contractors can't do (because of legal problems - but since corporations cross state bounds regardless, the old problem of criminals crossing through states is no longer going to be the dominant reason for FBI coming on the scene), and jobs that aren't profitable for corps to take on - i.e. very expensive, with low payout. FBI is going to be a tough, pretty elite group. Their jurisdiction hasn't changed much, except to include Matrix crimes.

When I read this, I was thinknig of X-Files, Warehouse 13, the animated series: Roswell Conspiracies: Aliens, Myths, Legends, and even the RPG Bureau 13. Could make for a fun campaign sometime, to get the PCs out of the mindset of 'we're criminals, shoot everything that moves'. Although, I can see this turning into the MiB shooting gallery scene, "Why did you shoot little Tiffany?"
ColdEquation
Has it ever said what happened to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police when Canada and the US linked up? Did they just get rolled into the FBI?

I would think that an organization with as much influence, tradition and history as the RCMP would not be rendered obsolete so quietly. But Canadians are sterotypically more polite.
Penta
NAGNA mentions that they still do the Musical Ride, so...um. I have no idea.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (ColdEquation @ Sep 21 2009, 08:47 PM) *
Has it ever said what happened to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police when Canada and the US linked up? Did they just get rolled into the FBI?

When what was left of Canada and the US merged they got rolled into the US Marshals Service to become the UCAS Marshals Service. They handle everything they do nowadays but also all matrix related crime, the FBI lost jurisdiction over it, and are responsible for securing federal grids and hosts.
CanRay
QUOTE (ColdEquation @ Sep 21 2009, 02:47 PM) *

IIRC, the Mounties that didn't get snapped up by the UCAS Marshals (The RCMP act in the roles that the US Marshals and FBI perform in the US, along with a few other jobs.) got bought up by Lone Star, and still wore Matrix Icons that are the traditional RCMP Dress Uniforms (The Red Suits that are owned by MouseCorp). Most are probably retired by now, and it's no longer an issue.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012