Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: On the Run (Again)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Semerkhet
I just started a new SR4 game. Four of my five players are veteran SR players, but none of us has touched SR since early 3rd ed in 1999. I decided to go ahead and use the published "On the Run" adventure for the first story of the game. If you'll indulge me a bit in setting the stage, my main point is to outline my solution to what I, and others, see as the main weakness of the plot.

[ Spoiler ]
SincereAgape
Hey Semerkhet,

I like what you have proposed here. If you break down "On the Run" scene by scene, you'll find out that the adventure encourages Role-playing and investigative work above combat. The module has a nice balance between legwork, social interaction, gumshoe, and then combat. You've take the two weakest points of the book, story and plot, and have managed to turn it into something that has a lot of potential.

[ Spoiler ]
Malachi
The last time I ran On the Run the team tried to return the disc as soon as they acquired it. The Mr. Johnson told them the disc's contents would need to be verified before he would accept it, but offered them an increase in pay because of the unexpected difficulties. It was a pretty easy bridge into the subsequent scenes.
Kerrang
I had the same noted difficulty when I ran the mission, almost none of the legwork was done simply because my group was new and did not have much in the way of social skills or contacts, so they missed all the leads. The few hints they did get were not followed up on. The rest of the mission took a different track in that they made a copy of the disc when they were trying to break the encryption, and then sold that copy to the Vamps in the graveyard at twice the price they were getting paid for the run. When they gave the original to Mr. Johnson, he told them he knew about them selling the copy, and did not pay them, they also got a bit of a bad rep. Took a couple of street level "good guy" runs to recover their rep.

Ironically, after they started getting the big runs again, they stiffed a corporate Johnson almost immediately, but for the right reasons. They now have excellent street cred, but have not been offered a corp sponsored run since.
Faradon
I've also run this adventure and had very similar results to most of you. The team I ran also insisted immediately on acquiring the disc to turn it back in to their Johnson.

I tried to stall them using one of the methods listed in the advantures (where darius isn't around that day and such) but in the end they wanted nothing more than to hole up in a most paranoid way and turn it in as soon as they could.

Without having the Johnson killed before they return the item it would really of been hard to have found a reason to make them investigate further...

Not the end of the world though... the adventure still served its purpose as an intro to the system for many new players and got them all a contact, in Darius, who liked them for being so professional.
Ravor
Personally I found it rather refreshing that On the Run shows players that Shadowrunners tend to be the kind of people who stick their noses into places that they don't belong and who are likely to screw their Jonhson "just because". cyber.gif
Semerkhet
QUOTE (Ravor @ Sep 24 2009, 12:19 PM) *
Personally I found it rather refreshing that On the Run shows players that Shadowrunners tend to be the kind of people who stick their noses into places that they don't belong and who are likely to screw their Jonhson "just because". cyber.gif

I agree that player curiosity makes the game more interesting. On the other hand, if you have a player with a very "professional" attitude toward keeping their contracts with Mr. Johnson, additional incentives may have to be offered to make it "worth it" to stiff their employer.
Semerkhet
Thanks for the reply. I really like your idea for the final showdown. I think I'll try to use that.

QUOTE (SincereAgape @ Sep 24 2009, 10:21 AM) *
Hey Semerkhet,

I like what you have proposed here. If you break down "On the Run" scene by scene, you'll find out that the adventure encourages Role-playing and investigative work above combat. The module has a nice balance between legwork, social interaction, gumshoe, and then combat. You've take the two weakest points of the book, story and plot, and have managed to turn it into something that has a lot of potential.

[ Spoiler ]

Ravor
Or you pull the player to one side and gently remind him that "Ice-Cold-Pros" are boring and Shadowrun is in the Cyberpunk Genre for a reason. silly.gif

*EDIT*

Seriously though, I never understood why people would want to play a character that could always make the right choice, no matter how hard, never fall prey to a flawed nature, ect...
Twilights_Herald
QUOTE (Ravor @ Sep 24 2009, 02:05 PM) *
Seriously though, I never understood why people would want to play a character that could always make the right choice, no matter how hard, never fall prey to a flawed nature, ect...

Well, to be fair, the professional is a jumping-off point for a personality. Most of my characters take their word seriously. Once they've agreed to do a job, they will do it, at least to the letter of the agreement. Within SR, that's pretty much the definition of professional.

Where things get interesting is when Mr. J hires you to do a job you later find out you'd never have agreed to if you'd known the whole story, still get things done, and figure out how to screw over your employer anyway. Especially since, once the reputation of always holding to the letter of your word at the least comes out, Johnsons will usually start trying to get a lot more specific than "grab the data disk."

If these ideas intrigue you, well, I would advise you not to pull a Literal Genie on every J. That's just trouble. Save it for when the employer really deserves it.
Semerkhet
Agreed. It's not that this particular player would *never* have his character try to screw a Mr. J. However, in this case the Mr. J lied to them about a couple aspects of the job and downplayed the threat level. The group saw that as bargaining leverage to negotiate a higher fee and an excuse to hold on to a copy of the data. Also, the character in question is in the position of coming out of retirement and forming a new team and taking their first job. (Two of the five characters are from my 3rd edition game ten years ago, remade for 4th edition.) He rightly worries about stiffing their Mr. J on their first re-entry to the Seattle shadow scene. His argument was that it wasn't important or personal enough to actually screw their Mr. J.

QUOTE (Twilights_Herald @ Sep 24 2009, 06:33 PM) *
Well, to be fair, the professional is a jumping-off point for a personality. Most of my characters take their word seriously. Once they've agreed to do a job, they will do it, at least to the letter of the agreement. Within SR, that's pretty much the definition of professional.

Where things get interesting is when Mr. J hires you to do a job you later find out you'd never have agreed to if you'd known the whole story, still get things done, and figure out how to screw over your employer anyway. Especially since, once the reputation of always holding to the letter of your word at the least comes out, Johnsons will usually start trying to get a lot more specific than "grab the data disk."

If these ideas intrigue you, well, I would advise you not to pull a Literal Genie on every J. That's just trouble. Save it for when the employer really deserves it.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012