Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mana in space,totems
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Playing Games
Mana,ebbs,and Back ground counts seem to work the same way,game mechanically. So could the warp in space simply be an ebb?

And what can,and can't be a totem?
Req
According to Year of the Comet shadowtalk, Toaster can be a totem.
JongWK
I'd like to see a Bill & Ted totem. silly.gif

"Be excellent to each other!" grinbig.gif
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (Req)

extra dice for fire manip spells?
Siege
QUOTE (Shanshu Freeman)
QUOTE (Req @ Jan 28 2004, 08:15 PM)

extra dice for fire manip spells?

"Dude, you're toast!" takes on a whole new meaning...

-Siege
sable twilight
QUOTE (JongWK)
I'd like to see a Bill & Ted totem. silly.gif

"Be excellent to each other!" grinbig.gif

There probably is one, but what would the modifiers be?

IMO, anything that has generated a sufficient symbolic and emotional association among the collective unconscious likely could be a totem (in other words, are there people out there that can agree that the thing in question can or be used to symbolize or represent something, even if they cannot agree what it symbolizes or represents? And are there, or have there been enough people out there willing to make that symbology a part of their life). Thus, there is probably a Captain Kirk totem, a Spock totem, a Yoda totem, maybe even a totem of a big purple singing and dancing dinosaur, but I doubt there would be, say, a Starbuck totem, since while people might agree that Starbucks could mean something greater I doubt there are enough people that would be willing to embrace what that meaning was as a core guiding principle in their lives.
Centurion
Somehow I see a shamen following the path of the big purple singing and dancing dinosaur being shown a kind of love and empathy usually reserved for fleshform bug spirits.

However, +2 die to any intimidation roles when using the shamanic mask. "Hi, my friend!" "AHHHHHHHHH"
Playing Games
So, Mars,Sol,Venus,atoms,fire could all be totems?
sable twilight
QUOTE (Playing Games)
So, Mars,Sol,Venus,atoms,fire could all be totems?

I don't see why not. There are already totems for things very much like divine beings and forces of nature. And I think I remember seeing The Atom mentioned as somewhere as a toxic totem.
Fortune
QUOTE (sable twilight)
...but I doubt there would be, say, a Starbuck totem...

I don't think it's fair that you can have an Apollo totem, but can't have a Starbuck one! frown.gif
crazyivans
What about a Tea totem? You get +1 die on all tests made in the UK, and +2 to target numbers when you don't speak with a British accent. You could take Scones as a geas, you need to eat one every 24h...
sable twilight
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (sable twilight @ Jan 29 2004, 08:39 AM)
...but I doubt there would be, say, a Starbuck totem...

I don't think it's fair that you can have an Apollo totem, but can't have a Starbuck one! frown.gif

How is it not fair? Are you saying that a god that has been worshiped for hundreds of years, had songs, poems, and stories written about, and is representative of many primal archetypes should shome how be considered on equal footing with a corporate franchise that has been around for less then twenty years (or a centry for Shadowrun timeline, if even that long)? I don't think so.

Unless you are thinking of character from Battlestar Glactica. Then that would be different. He's had fan fiction written about him. And everyone knows that is the dividing line between totem and non-totem entities, if they have appeared as a major character in some form of slash story (J/k).
Adarael

All I can think of is Red Dwarf.

"You spent two thousand nuyen on a Toaster with a magic rating, and you don't even like toast!"
'I do like Toast! Just not now!'
"I know... you're a WAFFLE man, aren't you!"
Fortune
QUOTE (sable twilight)
How is it not fair? Are you saying that a god that has been worshiped for hundreds of years, had songs, poems, and stories written about, and is representative of many primal archetypes should shome how be considered on equal footing with a corporate franchise that has been around for less then twenty years (or a centry for Shadowrun timeline, if even that long)? I don't think so.

Unless you are thinking of character from Battlestar Glactica. Then that would be different. He's had fan fiction written about him. And everyone knows that is the dividing line between totem and non-totem entities, if they have appeared as a major character in some form of slash story (J/k).

I honestly didn't think I'd have to explain this one. eek.gif
RedmondLarry
I'll explain it. He was talking about Battlestart Galactica.
Jon Szeto
Sheesh. Kids these days.... No appreciation of the classics....
RedmondLarry
We also have a great collection of players and GMs from outside the USA. We can't expect basic things embedded in our culture wink.gif, like Starbuck and Apollo, to carry over in a humorous way.
toturi
I want an Adama totem! And a Cylon totem too.

"By your command!"

And I'm Singaporean, not American.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012