Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Commlink packages Challenge
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
ravensoracle
Okay, did a search couldn't find anything like this, here it goes.

The premise is to build prepackaged commlinks that a player that is unfamiliar with, or doesn't want to dig thru, the rules. Something that would make chargen or buying a commlink during play easier. The packages can include more than one link for providing better security. What I am looking for is a complete setup that can be picked up without having to dig thru books. The hard part is going to be building packages with varying costs. From the cheap comm that a wage slave may pick up to the elite models for the experienced hacker. I personally would liek to see a comm that is dedicated to running sensor programs from data given to it by the various gadgets available, ie. radar, simrig, sensors and others. Something that can be used when a true tacnet isn't available or provides a greater number of channels for a tacnet.

Let's include what books are included to make the package, such as Sr4, Sr4A, Unwired.
Twilights_Herald
QUOTE (ravensoracle @ Sep 21 2009, 04:12 PM) *

The premise is to build prepackaged commlinks that a player that is unfamiliar with, or doesn't want to dig thru, the rules. Something that would make chargen or buying a commlink during play easier. The packages can include more than one link for providing better security. What I am looking for is a complete setup that can be picked up without having to dig thru books. The hard part is going to be building packages with varying costs. From the cheap comm that a wage slave may pick up to the elite models for the experienced hacker. I personally would liek to see a comm that is dedicated to running sensor programs from data given to it by the various gadgets available, ie. radar, simrig, sensors and others. Something that can be used when a true tacnet isn't available or provides a greater number of channels for a tacnet.

Let's include what books are included to make the package, such as Sr4, Sr4A, Unwired.

SR4A has some rules for basic software packages that are good to add to your 'throwaway' link, mind.
Chrysalis
QUOTE (ravensoracle @ Sep 21 2009, 11:12 PM) *

I went back into my resources excel file and made this quick excel file. You can find it here.

The original software list included active skill softs, nexi, etc. and the electronics one included a whole lot of sensor software etc. I've cut it down a lot. The first sheet does nto even have hacking software. Just commlinks, OSs, and common use programs.
Tachi
Chrysalis, you're sure it works?
MS Office2007 compatible? It should be, if it's an earlier Excel, but I'm getting no joy here.
Degausser
I think what the OP wanted was something like This: (Using SR 4 base book)

Paranoid Runner who isn't a hacker:

Hermes Ikon: 3000
Special program: System 4 (2000)
Special program: Firewall 4 (2000)
Special Program: Analyse 4 (400)

Total Price: 7400

This setup will get you enough security to keep your comlink from being hacked by all but the best hackers. It can warn you of the intrusion attempt, and then you can simply switch it off or turn the wireless off to thwart the hacker. Not the best setup, and sure, it's not hack-proof, but it will prevent most agents and all but the best spiders from tracking you down. For those that are truely paranoid, throw in the Encrypt program at lvl 4, which will slow down potential hackers even further because they will have to spend time decrypting stuff before sending commands.

The "I don't care if you hack me" setup.

Renraku Sensei Running Renraku Ichi (1600 total)
Novatech Airwire running Megadyne Deva (2050 total)
Skinlink 50

Total: 3700

A firm plan for a paranoid runner strapped for cash, what you do is turn off the wireless to your Novatech Airwire, and subscribe it to all your stuff, like your gun, smartlink, whatever, and run the connection through your skinlink. Then you use your Renraku Sensei to connect to your team, making sure to keep NO information on it, and always dial manually (and regularly purge the memory core.) That way, if anyone hacks your active comlink, all they will find is a whole lot of nothing and a subscribed subvocal mic.

The "Hacker's Delight" Uses "Unwired"

Custom Built Comlink: Response 5 Signal 5 (5100) (I paid for all hardware, anyone have better rules for starting with a deck at rating 5/5?)
-Rigged for BTL/Hotsim 250
Special Program: Firewall 5 (2500)
Special Program: System 5(2500)
Exploit: 5 (5000)
Stealth: 5 (Ergonomic) (5750)
Armor: 5 (5000)
Attack: 5 (5000)
Biofeedback Filter: 5(5000)
Spoof 5: (5000)
Iris Antivirus: (1500)
Command: 5 (Ergonomic) 600
Edit 5 Ergonomic(600)
Browse: 5 (Ergonomic) 600

Total Cost: 44,400 (Availability 12F)

I hope you have deep pockets, because this is the jumping-off point for any hacker. It has enough processing power to muscle it's way through pretty much anything, and it allows you to run a full combat suite AND all your other 'standard' programs (like Edit, command, and browse) with no loss of processing speed. Some hackers may want to add additional programs like encrypt, decrypt, or tracking, and that is fine, but this little guy is a good starting point for anyone needing to break in and do a little snooping.
Cardul
Degausser, while I think that that might be right, all a non-hacker needs is one of the basic suites from SR4A.

If someone is playing a hacker, sorry, but they had better darn well be willing to dig through the rules on
hacking. Just like a Rigger had better darn well be willing to dig through the vehicle rules. You should
know your area of specialty.
StealthSigma
QUOTE (Tachi @ Sep 22 2009, 03:09 AM) *
Chrysalis, you're sure it works?
MS Office2007 compatible? It should be, if it's an earlier Excel, but I'm getting no joy here.

You can open .xlsx sheets in Office 2000/2003.

Download this executable from Microsoft and install it. It will enable opening Office 2007 file formats in Office 2000, Office XP, and Office 2003.
Marwynn
SR4A

Basic+ Program Suite: Analyze 3, Browse 3, Command 1, Edit 3: 400 nuyen.gif
Sony Emperor and Magnadyne Deva: 1500 nuyen.gif

Pretty standard for less than 2000 nuyen.gif and it can be used as your cover's commlink. Or yours if you just don't care about getting hacked. Just don't use it for "work".

The Basic suite and a Meta Link with Vector Xim runs you a total of 600 nuyen.gif which is a lot more explainable for some lowly wageslave, or cover and whatnot. The disposable stuff should only be used for meets and the like.

What I use as my "central" link where my gear's subscribed to is Novatech Airwave with Novatech Navi plus the "Pro User" Suite is 2750 + 600. Then Firewall's upgraded even though I keep its wireless off and Skinlinked. I'm that paranoid, it's the one that runs all my gear after all.
Sponge
QUOTE (Degausser @ Sep 22 2009, 02:14 AM) *
Custom Built Comlink: Response 5 Signal 5 (5100) (I paid for all hardware, anyone have better rules for starting with a deck at rating 5/5?)

SR4A says that you can't upgrade a commlink more than 2 higher its initial (response/sensor) ratings, so you'd have to start with at least a 3/3 commlink rather than the nuyen.gif 100 cheapie.
Degausser
QUOTE (ravensoracle @ Sep 21 2009, 04:12 PM) *

I think what the OP wanted was something like This: (Using SR 4 base book)

I followed the OP's rules, by using SR4 instead of SR4A, mainly because I don't have a copy of 4a. So, I guess, my question should have been "is there any rules in SR4 (not 4a) about what you need for it?
Tachi
QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Sep 22 2009, 08:02 AM) *
You can open .xlsx sheets in Office 2000/2003.

Download this executable from Microsoft and install it. It will enable opening Office 2007 file formats in Office 2000, Office XP, and Office 2003.

I appreciate the help, but I'm actually using 2007. Just can't affect any of the fields for some reason. I've never really used Excel much, so I may be doing something wrong.
ravensoracle
The idea I had for the thread was a complete Commlink package including things like agants, sofware, and aditional items to fit a certain role.

For example, a commlink package for running tacnet to include all the neccesary commlinks and gear. Or a sensor suite, such as a commlink with an agent running emo software, facial recognition and gait analysis. Combine the comm with galsses with an recording unit and a radar or ultrasound sensor to round it out. Also add some services like MSP's or anything that might be useful to that particular package.

I am stating up a few packages liek this myself but I wanted to se what others had done. The idea here is to make it easy on a GM and a group of players to pick up equipment on the fly. I hate sitting around the gaming table and someone comes up with an idea to get a certain comm setup and we have to stop the game to dig thru the books. I wanted this so everyone could have a reference for some premade packages that cost various ammounts.

That way if a player says he wants to get a second or third comm for a certain role then he can reference this and say he wants this package instead of hitting the books and draggin down the game.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012