Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Don't read this if you're in AndyZ's SR Game
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
AndyZ
Can I trust my players not to read stuff based on my say so? I think I can.

I'm running an SR4A game and I'm looking for help on some stuff. Appreciations for suggestions.

First, nodes are a bit odd to look at. If I have a big computer system, could there be like one node for each particular area, or does it work in some other way? I've checked both the core and Unwired but I still feel confused.

Secondly, a Hacker/TM with maxed stats seems pretty much unstoppable. Other than pulling the plug, are there non-numerical tricks that one can use to secure a system? For example, having an Agent program or sprite which greets people and is designed to set off an alarm if a particular greeting isn't given in reply, even if the person has Admin access and has enough Stealth to avoid a Matrix Perception test?

If there's only one admin account on a system, does hacking create another or just give you access to the one already made? If only access, what happens if the admin is already logged in?

I have plans for a run where the TM gets further and further over several sessions, but as things are now it seems like a cakewalk the moment he steps inside. This may be the case, but if so I'd like to find out now and plan the story accordingly.
W@geMage
Layered systems.
Access codes in the public node are not the same as the private/secured nodes they lead to.
This means that the hacker must hack the extra nodes on the fly or risk discovery.
(I wouldn't use more than 3 layers, no need to go overboard)

eg: Public website, sucky security => intranet for personnel, medium security => hidden and secured node for admins, high security with Spiders present at all times.

Technomancers are awesome as long as the hack doesn't drag out. Hackers can wear out non-submerged techno's eventually.
They get stun damage as the hack progresses and tend to use up Sprite services, so slow them down.
eg:
- Make them perform browse checks to get the data they need.
- Have Data Bombs attached to important files
- etc ...
Dragnar
QUOTE (AndyZ @ Sep 22 2009, 10:58 AM) *
First, nodes are a bit odd to look at. If I have a big computer system, could there be like one node for each particular area, or does it work in some other way? I've checked both the core and Unwired but I still feel confused.

The confusion isn't in you, it's in the rules. A node is what you say it is. Literally. There's no direct connection between physical objects and nodes. You could have the whole system be a single node as easily as a single commlink having a dozen nodes.
The game rules assume, that every important computer system the hacker may like to hack is a single node, which is the only way the whole thing is playable, even though it makes absolutely no sense from an in-world perspective, so you'd better off not worrying too much about it.

Secondly, a Hacker/TM with maxed stats seems pretty much unstoppable. Other than pulling the plug, are there non-numerical tricks that one can use to secure a system? For example, having an Agent program or sprite which greets people and is designed to set off an alarm if a particular greeting isn't given in reply, even if the person has Admin access and has enough Stealth to avoid a Matrix Perception test?

You mean, a "special thing you have to do to successully log on"? A "pass phrase"? Just like a "password"? I hope that by now, you realize that the agent you described is actually identical to just asking for an account name and password. No matter how you describe a specific matrix action, it stays the same action, so it doesn't matter if you ask for a password, a specific greeting phrase, a hamlet quote are performing a descriptive dance, it's always a hurdle to log on successfully and it's always bypassed by a hacking+exploit test by the rules.
And no, there's no way to actually challenge a fully maxed out matrix user rolling 30 dice on all tests, just like there is no way to challenge a social character rolling 50 dice on social tests or a combat monster rolling 30 dice on attack and having 150 dice of damage resistance (which is all possible).
The system isn't designed for such high numbers and just breaks down, so it's best to just hit your players over your head with the rulebook and tell them "Don't intentionally break the game, you!". Not a perfect solution, but the rules actually work fairly well in the range they were designed for, the designer just sadly allowed too many ways to leave that range.

If there's only one admin account on a system, does hacking create another or just give you access to the one already made? If only access, what happens if the admin is already logged in?

If you mean the regular hacking+exploit test then the answer is: Neither. It gives you access to the system without being legally logged in. Which is why you have to roll tests for everything you want to do and the system raises an alarm if it realizes you're there.

I have plans for a run where the TM gets further and further over several sessions, but as things are now it seems like a cakewalk the moment he steps inside. This may be the case, but if so I'd like to find out now and plan the story accordingly.

Mediocre Technomancers are actually really, really bad, but correctly built (and used!) Technomancers are basically unstoppable by even extreme defensive measures. They just don't scale all that well (okay, they don't scale at all.). No easy way out of that one, I'm afraid.
Cardul
QUOTE (Dragnar @ Sep 22 2009, 05:35 AM) *
Mediocre Technomancers are actually really, really bad, but correctly built (and used!) Technomancers are basically unstoppable by even extreme defensive measures. They just don't scale all that well (okay, they don't scale at all.). No easy way out of that one, I'm afraid.

Unfortunately, yeah...there seem to be only two types of technomancers: good ones and dead ones.
Admittedly, Technomancers might be gods in the matrix, but they are often targets in the meat. The
good technomancers, in fact, are going to be near worthless outside of the matrix or rigging, but in
their field? Really dangerous.
Kumo
Can I trust my players not to read stuff based on my say so? I think I can.

I'm running an SR4A game and I'm looking for help on some stuff. Appreciations for suggestions.

Most devices have their own nodes. But You can build the system as one one big nexus + lesser nodes (peripherial and standard). But I suggest rather more than one nexi + lesser nodes.

Secondly, a Hacker/TM with maxed stats seems pretty much unstoppable. Other than pulling the plug, are there non-numerical tricks that one can use to secure a system?

There are some nice ideas in "System Security" part of "Unwired". Example: target node is R&D nexus. It's encrypted and totally isolated from Wireless Matrix (phisical security); the only way into it leads through wired security terminal. Hacker must find the terminal's node in system (every node on his way must be hacked separately) and beat security (including encryption, booby traps etc.). And every his action may be glitched. Think like security consultant.
And of course if hacker is uncovered, corpsec will track his datatrail down and send strike team.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012