Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brackhaven for Governor
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
rubberduck
In my 2070 campaign, I've got some plot ideas that would require Kenneth Brackhaven to win the election for governor. But I'm a bit stumped on how to make it happen. In Runner Havens it is said that he has really reached the limits of who can be convinced to vote for him, at 32%. Which suggests that either Josephine or Julius will win. Now, it might not be too much of problem to somehow eliminate whoever is in the lead (blackmail, "accident", whatever), but then most of those votes would probably fall to the other, not Brackhaven. Eliminating both, however, seems too heavy-handed and obvious.

There's a nice gang war going on, that he can capitalize on, but I still have difficulty seeing him getting many metahumans or friends of metahumans to vote for him, as long as there is an alternative.

So, any ideas? I could just have him win "because I say so", but I'd much rather have a logical explanation.
ShadowPavement
If you can get ahold of the 2nd edition book Super Tuesday, there is a run in there that deals with Brackhaven's run for president but you could just replace "president" with "govenor" and it would work just as well.

I also had an idea for a run where the PC's are hired to do some sabotaging of the current govenor by sneaking into his office and planting false data, especially if the team is all or mostly meta. Even if runners are not successful Brackhaven can play up the meta-on-meta violence angle of the whole thing. Brackhaven may even set something up so that he could discredit the curent govenor by pining the hiring of shadowrunners on him so that Brackhaven can come out the white knight.

This whole situation is full of ideas and I think that I'm going to use that as the crux of my next story arc when I'm done the current one.
Malachi
QUOTE (rubberduck @ Sep 23 2009, 06:11 AM) *
In my 2070 campaign, I've got some plot ideas that would require Kenneth Brackhaven to win the election for governor. But I'm a bit stumped on how to make it happen. In Runner Havens it is said that he has really reached the limits of who can be convinced to vote for him, at 32%. Which suggests that either Josephine or Julius will win. Now, it might not be too much of problem to somehow eliminate whoever is in the lead (blackmail, "accident", whatever), but then most of those votes would probably fall to the other, not Brackhaven. Eliminating both, however, seems too heavy-handed and obvious.

There's a nice gang war going on, that he can capitalize on, but I still have difficulty seeing him getting many metahumans or friends of metahumans to vote for him, as long as there is an alternative.

So, any ideas? I could just have him win "because I say so", but I'd much rather have a logical explanation.

In SR canon he did get elected. Joey D was forced to drop out when "someone" dug up evidence that she was a Technomancer and threatened to go public (this was before the Emergence). I believe this was first confirmed in Ghost Cartels and Seattle 2072 definitely confirms it.
TBRMInsanity
QUOTE (Malachi @ Sep 23 2009, 09:11 AM) *
In SR canon he did get elected. Joey D was forced to drop out when "someone" dug up evidence that she was a Technomancer and threatened to go public (this was before the Emergence). I believe this was first confirmed in Ghost Cartels and Seattle 2072 definitely confirms it.

So you have your run then. Find dirt on the opposition. I would have him win over Human suburbia by subvert paying off Trog Gangers to wreck havok in human suburbia. "We are not safe in our own homes! If you elect me as Governor I promise you I will clean up this town! I will bring back the good old days where you were not afraid to walk down the street! A vote for me, is a vote for your own security!"
d1ng0d0g
Or he could do what most politicians do. Make empty promises and lie.

Kiss a few metahuman babies, make sure the press gets it and then as soon as you're elected screw them over.

Because I can picture that even some metahumans can be persuaded to vote for a guy like Brackhaven when he shakes the stink of Humanis. Fear is the best option for politicians everywhere to get elected to power.
Fezig
Or they could be paid by a private investigator/ investigative reporter/ sleazy Brackhaven campaign guy to do the run on the offline terminal that contains the information that some corp or other has that confirms that she is a technomancer...
BlueMax
QUOTE (Malachi @ Sep 23 2009, 08:11 AM) *

Funny, I am running Emergence now and its right here. As a matter of fact, most of my players were the ones who dug up the evidence as per suggestion.

Now we have a good old fashioned internal fight. I love the Drama.

BlueMax
BlueMax
I have avoided posting as my Sunday night character because it scares some people. Remember that there are many different viewpoints, especially in politics. While it may appear as handwaving, its perfectly acceptable for people to vote out of emotion instead of logic.

BlueMax
/a dwarf
//forced to play Humanis on Sundays
Ravor
Its even easier when the racist emotions actually have some justifactions through the logic of the Sixth World.

Screaming Eagle
Lie, Cheat, Steal.

LIE to the Meta-human masses, have you campaign focus on controling violence rather then controling Orcs (your actual goal)
Suck it up and kiss a few Orc (ok so elf if you insist sir) babies, take a photo op with well placed Metahumans (the cleaner ones anyway) - your doctor is sure being a pointy eared freak isn't contagus (sept for Ghouls, seriously, avoid Ghouls).

CHEAT on your opponents. Arrange thier demonstrations to be sabotoged and subverted. Smear campaigns everywhere.

and the Shadowrunners come in:

STEAL anything you can find that is even vaugly incrimitating, suvailance, wire taping, blackmail material, kidknapping, evidence planting, infect them or their frends and family with HMHVV 3
Ravor
Ya forgot to include murder. cyber.gif
Screaming Eagle
Most polititions don't have a reason to "risk it all" that way. Most people running of such offices have a rather comfortable life even if they lose but arranging the death of a political opponent, bad time mojo. Not only will you risk prison you will most likely lose to popular opinion you were looking for. Better to wait the 4 years for the next round of everyones favorite game : LIE! CHEAT! STEEEAL!!!.
Screaming Eagle
Double Post!
Ravor
I figure that times are different in the Sixth World, after all, one could say the same thing about most wet work as well.
BlueMax
QUOTE (Ravor @ Sep 24 2009, 11:09 AM) *
I figure that times are different in the Sixth World, after all, one could say the same thing about most wet work as well.

I have to throw my hat in with Ravor. Political assassination is a theme of SR.
NAN 1(or was it 2)
Dunkie

BlueMax
rubberduck
Seems it won't be an issue anyhow. My group decided that they would rather play something other than Shadowrun. frown.gif
Screaming Eagle
QUOTE (rubberduck @ Sep 24 2009, 05:05 PM) *
Seems it won't be an issue anyhow. My group decided that they would rather play something other than Shadowrun. frown.gif

This is what assassinations are for.... these players.
CanRay
You know, I should have the Politics be part of my Ghettopunk game. It would fit, they're about as deniable as you can get.

Hell, they're still Juvies! Just getting close to when they can be pulling hard time with Bubba the Love Troll.

Of course, how can you prove your proper age when you don't have a legal SIN, eh? They're close enough after all, and Juvie Hall probably doesn't make as big a profit as High Security Prison...
Ravor
Meh, you are making the mistake of assuming that anyone whose parents aren't rich or have some other pull with the system gets into "juvie", why have upkeep on two buildings when one will do?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012