Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Real-Life Shadowrun Inspiration Database
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Audious
Post anything real that relates to the Shadowrun world that can be mined for examples and ideas. I'll edit it into this post to get an ongoing list of these websites/news articles/etc.

Havocscope: A database of real life black market activity.

L.A. Times' Coverage of Mexico's Drug War: The L.A. Times has extensive, indexed coverage of the Mexican Drug Cartels.

Why the Japanese Can't Stop Playing Dragon Quest IX: Great example of the beginnings of a wireless world.
Sperethiel
Wow, the Havocscope site is awesome. I feel like every government agency just started watching my PC now biggrin.gif
Marwynn
QUOTE (Sperethiel @ Sep 24 2009, 10:15 PM) *
Wow, the Havocscope site is awesome. I feel like every government agency just started watching my PC now biggrin.gif

And they weren't before? Omae, you haven't been trying hard enough.
Sperethiel
QUOTE (Marwynn @ Sep 25 2009, 03:56 AM) *
And they weren't before? Omae, you haven't been trying hard enough.

Haha. It wasn't a priority of mine, no smile.gif
ravensmuse
Why Tokyo Crowds Can't Stop Playing Dragon Quest IX

The Wireless World is here, chummers.
Garou
Even if they actually do it offline. smile.gif
Heath Robinson
QUOTE (Garou @ Sep 25 2009, 09:28 PM) *
Even if they actually do it offline. smile.gif

Can you define a distinction between Online and Offline that is even coherent with the facts? Otherwise the statement that it's being done offline is pretty meaningless and just ends up being linguistic fluff.
Audious
Also, just to let you guys know, if you post something of worth on here, I'll move it up to the OP. Maybe we can get a sticky on this?
Drraagh
QUOTE (Heath Robinson @ Sep 25 2009, 03:54 PM) *
Can you define a distinction between Online and Offline that is even coherent with the facts? Otherwise the statement that it's being done offline is pretty meaningless and just ends up being linguistic fluff.

What about the augmented reality games that are out there? Top 10 Augmented Reality Games, Number 10 for example is 'Human Pac Man'. Those would be quite Shadowrun, especially in SR4, but could be done in earlier editions with a little more hardware.

One story I had used before in my games was Ghostnet the large scale computer spybot that was found in various countries. Could make for a good 'Big Brother' group watching you.

Swedish Helicopter Thieves were definately a pretty good example of Shadowrun thieves. But if you're looking for ideas, check out High Tech Thieves and the Gadgets they Use.

Just a couple links that should help give ideas.
magi
The iPhone - AR comlink of the now.

Tube Station AR app

AR Pet
Ayeohx
QUOTE (Audious @ Sep 24 2009, 08:05 PM) *
Post anything real that relates to the Shadowrun world that can be mined for examples and ideas. I'll edit it into this post to get an ongoing list of these websites/news articles/etc.

Havocscope: A database of real life black market activity.

Oh thanks Audious! I almost launched this site from a government computer (I'm at work right now). That'd have been just awesome. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012