Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Questions of chronolgy
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Penta
Okay, this is coming up with players in chargen.

When did bioware, nanoware, and geneware first become available ICly? (I don't mean what book - I mean what point in the timeline)

To my recollection, bioware didn't become available until 2055, and was very expensive then.

To my recollection, geneware and nanoware didn't become available until 2065.

Am I correct? (Please note that by available, I mean for the "civilian" market.)
Joe Chummer
QUOTE (Penta @ Sep 24 2009, 11:11 PM) *
Okay, this is coming up with players in chargen.

When did bioware, nanoware, and geneware first become available ICly? (I don't mean what book - I mean what point in the timeline)

To my recollection, bioware didn't become available until 2055, and was very expensive then.

To my recollection, geneware and nanoware didn't become available until 2065.

Am I correct? (Please note that by available, I mean for the "civilian" market.)

Those numbers sound right, but I can't find anything to back that up.

Bioware was first available in the Shadowtech sourcebook, which was released in 1993. So, since SR1 was out in 1989 (i.e. 2050), then Shadowtech should date about 2054.

Geneware and nanoware I'm not familiar with (I don't have the Augmentation book yet), and my knowledge of SR history only goes to about 2060-ish. I don't recall if the Cybertechnology sourcebook (published 1995, i.e. 2056) included any of that or not.
Summerstorm
On Geneware: Even though it wasn't mentioned in earlier editions and such... it was pretty much retconned so that characters in 2070 could have been modified with them before birth. So i guess that some genetech systems were available for thirty years, some maybe even longer.
Adarael
Genetech's first appearance was in 2063, discounting things like Zeta-interferon, monoclonal antibodies, etc. SOTA63 has details on the available geneware. I believe Sota64 introduced nanotech more fully, althrough it's my recollection that preliminary nanotech was available in Cybertechnology, which is... 2060? 2061?
Traul
Nanotech is older than genetech: it is already there in M&M, although the availability of nanoware is too high for starting PCs. Don't remember the M&M in-game year, though.
Karoline
Since I'm the relevent player, I'll throw this up as my sources, both from augmentation p20 under genecrafted and genetic heritage
This character was genetically modified before he was born.
Since it is much easier to modify the genome at the embryonic
stage than to rewrite the genetic code of a mature body, genetic
modifications performed in utero are quicker and cheaper than
gene therapy treatments performed on an adult.

Which establishes that a character could be born with geneware already installed, and

Though genetweaking isnā€™t yet widespread, the technology to
successfully modify a metahuman genome has been around for well
over three decades. It is thus possible that children have inherited
genetically-modified genes from one or both progenitors.

Which establishes that geneware has been available since the 2030s.

I think the main diffrence is that geneware went from something that no one had really heard about, was expensive, to something that that everyone has heard about, and is expensive but not prohibitively so.
Traul
Another possibility: geneware for embryos has been around for 3 decades, but manipulating an already developped organism is much more complicated and has only recently become possible.
Karoline
QUOTE (Traul @ Sep 25 2009, 07:09 AM) *
Another possibility: geneware for embryos has been around for 3 decades, but manipulating an already developped organism is much more complicated and has only recently become possible.

Very good point. You're very right, because we can already mess with genes fairly easily as long as we do it in an embryonic state. After that it isn't yet possible (To my knowledge) to change DNA throughout the body so that it can affect an actual physical change.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Joe Chummer @ Sep 25 2009, 06:45 AM) *
Bioware was first available in the Shadowtech sourcebook, which was released in 1993. So, since SR1 was out in 1989 (i.e. 2050), then Shadowtech should date about 2054.

The earliest date from the Shadowtech sorucebook is 30th November 2052.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012