Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GhettoFest
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Marwynn
I found it particularly... alluring. Something about this just made me want it, and I kept tweaking and playing around with the concept till it coagulated into this. I do have a more detailed backstory written up, but that's fairly rough and I want to hold on to it for now.

Please mechanically critique this fella, keeping in mind that he's not going to go up against even Corpsec quality foes for a while. Maybe 300 BP characters are "Heroes of the Gutter" where everyone else is 250 BP. Or maybe they're just the same as everyone.

General gist is that he's a refugee from the Philippines, they escaped during the occupation to Vancouver before being moved to Seattle. They were awarded SINs, publicity move, but simply didn't make it. He was estranged from the family (whose father died before arriving) and joined up with a gang. Mom goes missing, he has to look after his younger bro n sis. They're all human, he's the only ork in the family.

He's more than that, he's also an adept. Not one of those ninja types, rather the ones that kick your butt through your face. Affinity for Blades. His rudimentary Arnis De Mano training became heavily specialized because of it, he's even discovered that he can throw slim knives real good. Real, real good. But before that developed he had already made a name for himself as "Shotgun Sam" due to his much modified Remington.

People mistake the "Sam" part of his moniker as a shortening of "Samurai". Bad idea. He carries a grudge against the Japanese and would take such a comparison as an insult.

Self-Imposed Rules: (Feel free to make your own)
300 BP (170 max on attributes), only one attribute "soft-maxed"
No more than 1 Skill Group or 2 Active Skills at 3. Only one Active Skill at 3 may be specialized. All other skills are at 1 or 2 and can be specialized as normal. Limit 5 Specializations total for Active Skills.
5 BP max on Gear
May have one 12R item (not a weapon or piece of armour). All other items must be below 4R.
Contacts may not sum up to more than 3 points.
If taking a SINner quality, must take Criminal SINner. May not take In Debt higher than 1.

Samson Bahaghari
Shotgun Sam
"Don't call me samurai."

Body: 4
Agility: 5
Reaction: 4 (5)
Strength: 5
Charisma: 2
Intuition: 4
Logic: 2
Willpower: 3
Edge: 1
Magic: 4

Initiative: 8 (9)
IP: 1 (2)

Qualities:
Adept
Martial Arts (Arnis De Mano)
Home Ground

SINner (Criminal)
Prejudiced ("Hapon", Japanese)
Enemy I (Rival Gang)
Lost Loved One (Mother)
Dependent (Medium - Younger brother and sister)

Adept Powers
Improved Reflexes I
Counterstrike I
Quick Draw
Combat Sense II
Power Throw II

Martial Arts
Arnis De Mano

+1 DV Blades
Maneuvers: Two Weapon Fighting, Off-Hand Training (Blades)

Skills
Influence Group 1
Stealth Group 1
Blades (Martial Arts) 3 (+2)
Throwing Weapons (Knives) 1 (+2)
Unarmed Combat 1
Clubs 1

Running 1
Intimidation 1

Longarms 3
Pistols 1

Dodge 2
Perception 2
Survival (Urban) 1 (+2)

Knowledge Skills
Languages:

English (N)
Tagalog (Speak) 1 (+2)
Or'zet (Speak) 1 (+2)

Seattle Gangs 2
Charity Shelters 2
Seattle ('Hood) 1 (+2)
Gang Politics 2
Lonestar Procedure (Street) 1 (+2)
Philippine History (Japanese Occupation) 1 (+2)
Romance Trids (Dramas) 1 (+2)
Literature (Scifi/Fantasy) 1 (+2)
Agriculture (Garden Farms) 1 (+2)

Contacts
Jimmy the Fence (1/1)
Barry (Corrupt Beat Cop) (1/1)

Gear
Knife
Survival Knife
Bayonet (Attached to Remington 990)
2 Rattan Sticks
2 Swords (Personalized Grips)
10 Throwing Knives

Remington 990 (Laser Sighting, Vision Magnification for Imaging Scope, Bayonet Mount, Melee Hardening) 1110
Remington 950 (Laser Sighting, Vision Magnification for Imaging Scope, Firing Selection Change SA, Shock Pad) 1225
Colt Manhunter (Personalized Grip, Quick Draw Holster) 500

Armored Jacket
Assorted Clothing 300

Plus a host of other things that aren't particularly relevant. There's sufficient ammo for the guns, even items designated for the kids' use.

Please pick it apart.

And if you have other 300 BP ghetto characters please feel free to post them here for us to see and ogle!

EDIT: Updated thanks to the comments below.
booher
EDIT: Basic idiocy/overlooking.

Running or intimidation perhaps? I'm not quite sure, just felt the need to post something else after fucking up initially.
d1ng0d0g
He doesn't speak Spanish ?

And does he really need the whole influence group ? He could probably do just fine with only Con to talk him out of situations with the fuzz and intimidation to others.
Marwynn
Hmm good points. I cut out Athletics but didn't put Running back in. See, this is why it's worth putting it up on a thread. He'll need Etiquette too, to know how to handle even the basic gang situations.

Intimidation I forgot, but it's okay. I don't see him as the type that threatens so much as demonstrates.

No, he doesn't speak Spanish. Why would he?

Think I can settle for Infiltration at 2 instead?
Paul
Am I totally mistaken in thinking a bayonet cannot be mounted to a shotgun? Wouldn't it interfere with the action of the forearm, and make adjusting the choke a little difficult? But honestly if that's my only quibble, then this is a solid character.
Marwynn
QUOTE (Paul @ Oct 1 2009, 07:26 PM) *
Am I totally mistaken in thinking a bayonet cannot be mounted to a shotgun? Wouldn't it interfere with the action of the forearm, and make adjusting the choke a little difficult? But honestly if that's my only quibble, then this is a solid character.

Thanks Paul. I thought so too, but then I figured the bayonet could be to the side of the barrel. But it turns out it could be placed father ahead, away from the choke.

Plus the picture of the Remington 990 (p319 in SR4A) has the choke closer to the grip and trigger. I'm actually thinking of reducing the barrel length just for looks, but for now it's what I gots.

(I initially had a bayonet mount on the Sport Rifle too hehehe)
Marwynn
Okay, I reduced Stealth to 1 and added Running 1, and Intimidation (Physical) 1 (+2).

Good trade?
Falconer
Actually, only if the choke is variable... and even then lots of room. In SR, I'd bet that all the chokes are mechanized if present. (even non-smartgun... just set this switch back on the grip....)

It was commonplace for a shotgun to be equipped with a bayonet in WW1.

Only 5BP on gear is really quite limiting... means can't even cyber up even a little bit. Almost completley rules out any kind of decker/rigger/street sam. Almost forces all characters to be magical.

Tachi
Rattan sticks? Clubs skill maybe? You know, to prevent you from glitching and hitting yourself in the nuts? Those particular clubs aren't that different to use than some blade techniques, but still. Just a thought. Trying to help.
Marwynn
/facepalm I took out Clubs 1 at least. Forgot that.

Those are *my* self-imposed limits, I only used 3 BP myself. Post what you tried to stay under if you wanna make one, that's not a general decree hehe.
Karoline
QUOTE (Falconer @ Oct 1 2009, 08:08 PM) *
Only 5BP on gear is really quite limiting... means can't even cyber up even a little bit. Almost completley rules out any kind of decker/rigger/street sam. Almost forces all characters to be magical.

I think he just meant that as a personal limit so that people didn't go "You should totally get a half dozen wares to boost the character up." and not as a 'this is what a street character should be.'

Though if you wanted to do a hacker, you could likely still work within those limits as long as the GM is willing to do some 'you go to haxxoredtrix.com and grab some rating 2-3 hacking programs for free.' type deal with the player. As far as I can tell the fluffy rules allow for getting any program of any level for free really, but the real rules really don't talk about how hard it is to find them. (Lots of stuff about pirated programs and such, but nothing that says you can/can't get all rating 6 softwares for free by downloading them through your handy trixtorrent)
Marwynn
Yep!

Updated the first post, squeezed in 3 more Rank 1 Skills (Running, Intimidation, and Clubs).

I wanted to take Close Combat Group 1 then break it up, but some GMs might not like that at chargen. I just bought them separately, if the GM okays it then it's 2 free points for Intimidation (Physical) specialization.
Karoline
QUOTE (Marwynn @ Oct 1 2009, 08:38 PM) *
I wanted to take Close Combat Group 1 then break it up, but some GMs might not like that at chargen. I just bought them separately, if the GM okays it then it's 2 free points for Intimidation (Physical) specialization.

Well, it is against RAW, so I'd guess most GMs, but then again it makes alot of sense to be allowed to break it up, because nothing hampers you doing so the instant chargen ends.
Marwynn
Yeah, though some allow it. I saw at least two mentions of it in the book (there's one in the skill group intro). Both say with GM approval, so meh. It just saves me 2 points is all.

Besides, there are an awful lot of clubs or blunt instruments that can work as clubs around (say the melee hardened shotgun) I don't feel a particular need to press for that. It'll come in handy.

Share yours guys, even just thoughts or critiques!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012