Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [Duels] Shadowrun Duels: The Review
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Shadow
So I got Lothan the Wise, and my first thought was AWESOME. He's huge, and he has 2 sets of hands, some kind of gun I have never seen before. A staff, a necklace he can actually wear, and a med kit. He is also dressed in a cool brown leather duster.

After that my excitement faded some. Almost immediately the glue holding his coat on broke. Ok that sucked, but not to bad. I tried to put the gun in his hand only to find one of the two holes in the gun was half filled, so it wouldn't work. Ok, still excited. Then I tried to identify the gun in Cannon Companion, no luck, it was something new, that could be good, but I was hoping for stuff strait from the books. He comes with a med kit that he can fasten to his side with a plug, which broke the second I put it in. Ok now I am less than happy. However, he still looks really cool. My only other beef is the hands; they are next to impossible to remove. I was afraid of ripping his arms out while trying to pull off the hands.

I haven't had the chance to play the game yet, but when I do I'll let you all know. Has anyone else had this experience with these figures, let me know.

-Shadow
Shadow
Liada.... it must be elven for babe!

The first thing I noticed is how exquisitely carved she is. From her pointy ears, to her dark lips, and uhm other assets, down to her runic patterned pants. She is beautiful. Like Lothan she comes with two sets of hands, and various assortments. A wand, a necklace, pouch, a cape, and a parking meter. I say parking meter because I have no other way to describe it. She also comes with something Lothan didn’t, a spare arm. A water arm to be exact, almost as if she were transforming part of her body into water to cast a spell, kind of cool.

Now for the things I don’t like. She doesn’t move. Now before you say “Of course she doesn’t move Shadow, this isn’t Small Soldiers.” Well duh. What I mean is her legs don’t bend, her torso doesn’t twist, she can’t even bend over. She can look left and right but she can’t cross the street. Lothan could, his knees bent, his torso twisted etc. This led me to believe they all did. Needless to say it was very disappointing. In fact, it was the only thing about her I didn’t like. She hasn’t broken so for now I am going to assume Lothan was an anomaly.

Here’s the good news, my wife absolutely loves these guys, so I can buy one a month or so. Every time I get one I will post up here what I find. Of course only 46 people have looked at this thread so no one may read it, but I will put it up here anyways.
Ned
QUOTE (Shadow)
A wand, a necklace, pouch, a cape, and a parking meter.

[QUOTE]
The "parking meter" is actually a mount for the air elemental, which you didn't mention. Did you get the elemental? Maybe that's why it was in the discount bin...
Shadow
Well that makes sense. I'll have to check it out when I get home. I did get the Elemental with her, though I thought it was a water elemental. It will be fun seeing how the two fit together.
Shadow
QUOTE (Ned)
The "parking meter" is actually a mount for the air elemental, which you didn't mention.

I played with it for about 15 minutes and there is no way the elemental connects to the stand. It occurs to me a sheet or book explaining what each piece is would be handy.
Cain
I played with it for about 15 minutes and there is no way the elemental connects to the stand. It occurs to me a sheet or book explaining what each piece is would be handy.

In your picture, you've got the silly thing upside down. The "parking meter" bit attaches to the rim of the base. The spirit sits on the peg.
Shadow
Theres just no conceivable way it's a stand. The elemental ha no holes, or anyway of resting against it. Either it is poorly designed, or mine is defective.
Cain
*pulls down his Liada figure*
The hole is hard to see, but it's on the base of the tail, just beneath the main body. It should be between the "antennae", straight down on the bottom, towards the back of the spirit.
Kagetenshi
Took me a few weeks to find the hole, but it's definitely there. Liada, Kyushi, and Midnight all have problems with low flexiness, probably due to small size compared to the larger-framed characters.

~J
Shadow
QUOTE (Cain)
*pulls down his Liada figure*
The hole is hard to see, but it's on the base of the tail, just beneath the main body. It should be between the "antennae", straight down on the bottom, towards the back of the spirit.

Holey crap! WK should go to work for the army, that is some serious camouflage.

Thanks to everyone who helped me find it.

-Shadow
Kagetenshi
I think the hole is only visible under certain lunar conditions or something.

~J
Mimick
Street Deacon came with an autoloading Defiance T-250 biggrin.gif

Not to mention cyberhands, an Ares Monosword, radio, and an armor vest.

Nifty figure, but the shots of series three kinda blow away the other two runs.
Kagetenshi
Dunno. Some of series 3 just looks silly, IMO.

~J
Mimick
The cyberzombie does look kinda silly...they should've done a Burnout model. I'd pick up the Amerind sammie though.
Asmiv
talker.gif I had two games on first nite duel w. my buddy....

Game 1
We decided to try one on one scenario Karkhov "Street Samurai" Vs Midnight "Covert Spec Ops" aka Sexy Elven chick biggrin.gif

Midnight is FAST with her many white dice which improves her movement or dodge...but i underestimated Karkhov's melee value...(what do you expect he is a street samurai..) He carved Midnight w his katana in two turns...

Game 2
Kreoss (Mob Enforcer) & Midnight (Covert Ops Spec)
VS
Karkhov (Street Samurai) & Liada (Street Mage)

Kreoss is damn tought Orc and managed to survive two turns of Liada's magic attacks...my mistake was to split my attacks between Karkhov and Liada. I paid the price with Midnight got blasted first w. magic from Liada and combined attacks from Liada and Karkhov meant that Kreoss had no chance to fight back...

The iniative rule was good enough with Midnight having unmodifies init 7 and slowest was Karkhov w. init 5.

Comments
A cool game if played properly w. modified terrain for bigger scale than most board games compared to Games Workshop games and other wargames...but i had a blast since the rules was quite easy to learn albeit no chance to enhance the characters but considered a good game to nonetheless...

Series2 figurines comes with descriptions of their equipment although it's not collectable ( it is at the back of the packaging, i had to cut it off to keep)

Generally each figurine had a value whereby Lothan the Wise is the most expensive (value 4) it is beside the name on his base. Magic users are strong offensively or defensively if used wisely but if any attack got through there's not much chance to absorb range or melee....where as most other figurines have protection against most light weapons such as pistols and SMGs....but green dice damages e.g. rifles and Ingram SMGs are straight forward damages which cannot be absorb by most armor although you can try to dodge it with yellow/white dice. Red & Black dice are the "wild cards" whereby they can boost your dodge scores...

A cool game and only if WizKids can have more indepth scenario and fluff for the game. As it is series2 figurines are lacking character history but series one do have online history...

Cheers grinbig.gif
Tatertot
I bought a couple (Liada and Lothar) but I can't bring my self to play a game with them. their size makes it a little too close to playing with dolls. cool.gif

@Asmiv- what did you do for terrain?
Abstruse
I've gotten Kellian Colt off eBay and Lothan the Wise and Street Deacon at a reduced price at Suncoast. I kept resisting because I just don't like clicky games, esp. after what happened to my beloved-second-only-to-Shadowrun BattleTech with that clicky game...way to screw up 20 years of gaming backstory guys! Bleech...at least FanPro's doing good with Classic BattleTech...

Anyway, before I get sidetracked further, I decided to get them mainly because I have a thing for action figures and decided, even if I don't play, they still look pretty cool. So I decide to set them up to display them next to Ash, Evil Ash, Deadite, Rurouni Kenshin, Kaneda, Vash the Stampede, Wolfwood, and Buddy Christ when I notice LOTHAN'S FEET ARE TOO FRIGGIN' BIG TO FIT ON THE BASE!! I cannot for the life of me figure out what strange contortions I have to do to this figure to get both feet to go on both pegs without standing on the lip of the base at an angle that causes the thing to fall over! And I'm 90% sure the legs aren't moveable in the way I need them to be to get them to fit. Anyone else have this problem and have a solution perhaps?

Just had to get that off my chest. I'm sure I'll be back with stuff about Colt and Deacon after I get them out of their packaging (just got them today).

The Abstruse One
Abstruse
Blah...forgot to mention something about Lothan the Wise...his friggin' spare hands won't fit in the storage compartment! Grrrrr...

Kellan Colt's legs are too close together to fit on the damn base properly, and all her pegs are too big for her to hold any equipment.

My Street Deacon's jacket was glued on wrong or something because the thing was covering the peg on his back. And why he has a peg on his back instead of his thigh for the MedKit like everyone else so far has I have no idea...

You know, I STILL haven't even tried to play the game yet...

The Abstruse One
Shadow
Lothan stands pretty good on his own, without the base. I had to jam on foot onto the base and let the other just balance him to get him on right. Now he just stands ontop of my tv by himself. Well he is holding on to Liada's head with one massive paw.
Just Jonny
I just got a set of five from Wave One off of Ebay, and was very impressed with the art and design, but highly disappointed with the craftsmanship. I also had a big problem with pegs and holes that didn't match the sizes. I was far more disappointed, however with the alternate arm on the Liada figure. I was initally really psyched. It looked awesome, especially how it goes gradually from opaque to clear. Unfortunately, when I removed it, I apparently I broke off the knob from on the inside. Nothing a little glue won't fix, but it precludes the future possibility of swapping arms. I haven't played it yet, so I can't speak to the rules, but just in the process of taking them out of the box and swapping their gear around, I came to the conclusion that they're far better designed for display than actual use. They do look damn cool though.
Kagetenshi
I haven't had that problem…

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012