Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: shadowrun plants
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
ghostapathy
my character is planning to open an herbology and rare plant shop but, I can't find a plants in shadowrun that are purely medicinal plants. Most of the plants i've see are for use in potions and enchantments but are their any plants and herbs that a character can just take to improve their stats without using them in a potion.
Ancient History
Well, you've got plenty of real-life plants to draw from, but Shadowrun has never really gone into the whole D&D Herbalism routine.
Karoline
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Oct 7 2009, 09:12 AM) *
Well, you've got plenty of real-life plants to draw from, but Shadowrun has never really gone into the whole D&D Herbalism routine.

Not that D&D exactly has a '101 plants to do cool things' section. In fact they go into it about as much as SR does.

I don't think there are a ton of plants in the world that you can just eat strait up and get anything but poisoned from. AFAIK there isn't a plant out there that I can eat which will make me super strong for a few minute (Popeye grade spinach not withstanding), or really smart, or stop my bleeding or anything like that. There are some things that when mixed up might help you heal a bit faster, or go into a frenzy that might make you a bit stronger, or something similar.

So, that being the case you're basically just going to have to wing it with magic enhanced plants and just make up a list of plants, their affects, and their costs with your GM. I'd suggest using drugs and such as reasonable baselines for your 'steroid flower' or whatever other plants you have.
Ancient History
QUOTE (Karoline @ Oct 7 2009, 02:22 PM) *
Not that D&D exactly has a '101 plants to do cool things' section. In fact they go into it about as much as SR does.

Hah! Oh, wow. You must have completely missed the last two editions of D&D.

I don't think there are a ton of plants in the world that you can just eat strait up and get anything but poisoned from. AFAIK there isn't a plant out there that I can eat which will make me super strong for a few minute (Popeye grade spinach not withstanding), or really smart, or stop my bleeding or anything like that. There are some things that when mixed up might help you heal a bit faster, or go into a frenzy that might make you a bit stronger, or something similar.

You'd be amazed at what's out there. Seriously though, in the real world there are thousands of species of plants that humanity has found real and imagined uses for, medicinal, utilitarian, and recreational. You could do a really cool character concept just working that angle.

So, that being the case you're basically just going to have to wing it with magic enhanced plants and just make up a list of plants, their affects, and their costs with your GM. I'd suggest using drugs and such as reasonable baselines for your 'steroid flower' or whatever other plants you have.

I would go the other way and suggest you don't make up a bunch of Awakened plants that you can pop like Mario's fireflowers, but that's just me. Have fun doing it in your own game, though.
Tachi
QUOTE (Karoline @ Oct 7 2009, 08:22 AM) *
stop my bleeding

Not a plant, but, powdered shrimp shells. Seriously. New styptic used by the U.S. military. My brother-in-law, who is a Support/Hospital Lieutenant, told me about it.

There is stuff like that everywhere. Many poisonous plants/animals also have a medical use.
Karoline
QUOTE (Tachi @ Oct 7 2009, 10:32 AM) *
Not a plant, but, powdered shrimp shells. Seriously. New styptic used by the U.S. military. My brother-in-law, who is a Support/Hospital Lieutenant, told me about it.

There is stuff like that everywhere. Many poisonous plants/animals also have a medical use.

Yes, that's my point. When mixed with other things (Potions or enchanting like the OP was talking about) alot of plants -are- good for tons of things, but there are few that you just pick out of the dirt and eat for any great affect (Real, I don't count imagined affects).

You'd be amazed at what's out there. Seriously though, in the real world there are thousands of species of plants that humanity has found real and imagined uses for, medicinal, utilitarian, and recreational. You could do a really cool character concept just working that angle.

Yeah, there are, but very few are medicinal just by eating them without mixing them with something or otherwise being prepared. And I didn't figure the OP wanted to open his own weed store, so I left out considering things like that.

Hah! Oh, wow. You must have completely missed the last two editions of D&D.

Yeah, haven't looked at 4th at all, but I really don't remember 3rd mentioning alot about plants. Sure there were a small handful it talked about in some supplement books, but SR has some mention of plants (Generally awakened plants, but still plants) as well.
I would go the other way and suggest you don't make up a bunch of Awakened plants that you can pop like Mario's fireflowers, but that's just me. Have fun doing it in your own game, though.

Heh, funny mental image of a street sam with a big glowing red flower the size of his head.
the_real_elwood
Check the drugs section in Arsenal. I believe there's a couple plants in there that provide some bonuses, and a couple Awakened plants as well. But mostly, you're going to have to make stuff up if you want enough inventory to fill an entire shop.
Tachi
I'd guess that if you want this you will have to do a cross referrence between a RL herbalism book and some old 'plant mythology'.

For the herbal myths I'd probably start with this search, or one very similar.
Wacky
Hey, just to add to this thread, what essence do plants have if any?

Seriously, you can mutate a plant like you can a critter? So that'd cause an essence drop.

This way I could give a plant stats and a mutated giant maw and kill players with Little Shop of Horrors style.

Sign--
Wacky
Neraph
QUOTE (Karoline @ Oct 7 2009, 10:30 AM) *
Yes, that's my point. When mixed with other things (Potions or enchanting like the OP was talking about) alot of plants -are- good for tons of things, but there are few that you just pick out of the dirt and eat for any great affect (Real, I don't count imagined affects).

White Willow Bark (the inside bark I believe) is good for headaches, just pull it off the tree and suck/eat it. It's what we got Aspirin from. Cucumbers and chammomile (spelling?) reduce inflammation, raw potatoes are good for reducing pain of and treating burns (as topical), and licorice roots straight will give you super-runs (useful for some things). There are many others, but these are just a few. My wife's mother is an herbologist, and my wife and I have studied a little.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012