Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: humans +1 essence?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
limejello10512
Hey wasn't there a rule in the rule book that said humans could have one more essence point worth of cyberwere than anyone else... I could have sworn I saw this but can't find it in the rulebook....did I see it somewhere else? In the videogame maybe? If I'm not mistaken it means that humans can have up to -1 points of cyberware right? Or is it that cyberware doesn't reduce essence until after a point has been deducted (though magic and resonance are reduced normaly)
Sponge
Everyone has the same 6 essence. Humans get +1 base Edge. I've never played the video game so I wouldn't know if it had different rules.
limejello10512
well it was more one more essenece of cyberware (like you don't deduct from the 6 essence until after you got the one free point of cyberware or something)....must be thinking of the vg....anyone know what I mean?
Ravor
I agree with Sponge, I think you are confusing the Edge bonus that Humans have, there was nothing of the sort in the older video games but I refuse to have anything to do with the newest piece of bullshit Microsoft released.
tete
There was an old shadowrun book or possibly in the shadowlands magazine where an npc had 7 essence when you did the math but I think that was an elf. Otherwise yeah your thinking of edge.
limejello10512
no I know about that...it definately wasn't the edge bonus

It said that they had one more point of essence for cyberware purposes only (as I recall)

....maybe I am mistaken...that's a relief I can finally stop looking....though just to be sure if anyone knows anyhting about what I mean please let me know.
DWC
Wasn't that the human mercenary in Elven Fire, who'd been packed full of state of the art cyberware by the TT government, prior to the creation of the rules for cyberware grades?
limejello10512
no never heard of him.
Stahlseele
I think they actually got more essence in that god damn blasted misfit of a computer game micro$ucks called shadowrun . .
Bugfoxmaster
Not counting that guy, there is nobody that is allowed to have over 6 essence of anything. Humans get no more essence than anyone, though they have an extra edge point. Stop looking, you ain't gonna find it.
Stahlseele
Shapeshifters got 8 Essecne in 3rd ed,
Drakes get more Essence in 4th too.
limejello10512
it WAS the VG then......that's where I saw it.....gah.....coulda been so much better done :sigh: tosses book away....I can now rest at ease......thank you all....thank you all
Stahlseele
That's one of the main parts we bemoan about the videogame . . it introduces people to shadowrun, then they get these ideas that the RPG should work like the videogame, including teleportation, resurrection and differing essence numbers -.-
Dahrken
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Oct 12 2009, 08:05 PM) *
Drakes get more Essence in 4th too.

Are you sure of that ? I checked in the Companion and I haven't seen anything of this sort.
limejello10512
the videogame wasn't my introduction I just forgot where I saw that rule... thought it was in the book must've been the game lol.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Dahrken @ Oct 12 2009, 08:47 PM) *
Are you sure of that ? I checked in the Companion and I haven't seen anything of this sort.

Not all that sure, being at work and all <.<
QUOTE (limejello10512 @ Oct 12 2009, 09:03 PM) *
the videogame wasn't my introduction I just forgot where I saw that rule... thought it was in the book must've been the game lol.

"The Shadowrun-Community frowns upon your Video-Game-Shenanigans!"
limejello10512
I wasn't Shenanigans! I rented it and was disapointed!!!!!!!!! Though more cause it was WAY too mindless and repetative. truth be told I don't really thing it violates the historical cannon as much as people thought. However they could have done WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better.......... gasp I'm gonna start a VG post.

anyway I just played the game and that must of been a game rule I played and thought I read in a book.
crash2029
Ah, Shadowrun for the Xbox/PC. A game that belongs in the same category as Highlander II, D&D 4E, Dallas, St. Elsewhere, The Matrix: Revolutions, Sonic for the Xbox, Aquaman: Battle for Atlantis, Jar-Jar Binks, Soldier of Fortune: Payback, the Sten, and Superman IV.
Draco18s
QUOTE (crash2029 @ Oct 12 2009, 03:30 PM) *
Ah, Shadowrun for the Xbox/PC. A game that belongs in the same category as Highlander II, D&D 4E, Dallas, St. Elsewhere, The Matrix: Revolutions, Sonic for the Xbox, Aquaman: Battle for Atlantis, Jar-Jar Binks, Soldier of Fortune: Payback, the Sten, and Superman IV.

The SR vg game was made, then when M$ was looking around for a title, they found ShadowRun and went, "hey, that fits!" and licensed it.
limejello10512
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Oct 12 2009, 05:29 PM) *
The SR vg game was made, then when M$ was looking around for a title, they found ShadowRun and went, "hey, that fits!" and licensed it.

LOL
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Oct 12 2009, 11:29 PM) *

except that they owned fasa interactive and all that came with it already, so no need to license anything...
Draco18s
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Oct 12 2009, 05:23 PM) *
except that they owned fasa interactive and all that came with it already, so no need to license anything...

Touche.
Hagga
QUOTE (tete @ Oct 12 2009, 05:56 PM) *
There was an old shadowrun book or possibly in the shadowlands magazine where an npc had 7 essence when you did the math but I think that was an elf. Otherwise yeah your thinking of edge.

Harlequin has 9 or so, I think.
Joe Chummer
For the record, if you can separate the name "Shadowrun" from the Xbox/PC game, get over the misuse of a few common SR terms, and just take it how it comes, it's a fun little diversion for a few days. As a shooter is it entertaining? Yes, but as a "Shadowrun" game it fails miserably.

Things I liked: The pistol is clearly an Ares Predator, the SMG looks like an HK227, the Smartlink works how I expected it to, the summoned creature is clearly an Elemental spirit of some kind, the katana is fun for a few minutes

Things I hated: Pretty much everything else.

Also for the record, I only spent $6 on mine, which was about what it was worth.
crash2029
QUOTE (Joe Chummer @ Oct 12 2009, 08:49 PM) *
For the record, if you can separate the name "Shadowrun" from the Xbox/PC game, get over the misuse of a few common SR terms, and just take it how it comes, it's a fun little diversion for a few days. As a shooter is it entertaining? Yes, but as a "Shadowrun" game it fails miserably.

Things I liked: The pistol is clearly an Ares Predator, the SMG looks like an HK227, the Smartlink works how I expected it to, the summoned creature is clearly an Elemental spirit of some kind, the katana is fun for a few minutes

Things I hated: Pretty much everything else.

Also for the record, I only spent $6 on mine, which was about what it was worth.

That is why I put it in the category of "Things that were great until somebody fragged it up."
toturi
QUOTE (crash2029 @ Oct 13 2009, 04:30 AM) *

I find your lack of Jar Jar disturbing.
Thanee
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Oct 12 2009, 08:43 PM) *
...then they get these ideas that the RPG should work like the videogame, including teleportation, resurrection and differing essence numbers -.-

Differing essence numbers seem by far the least problematic here. grinbig.gif

Actually thought about getting it, as it is available really cheap. But it's a purely competitive multiplayer-shooter, right?

Not exactly my type of game...

I guess I should rather continue playing L4D, which surely is about one million times better (if not more). smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
darthmord
I believe that Created Drakes have 8 Essence while Drakes that breed true only have 6 Essence, like the metahumans they were made from.
crash2029
QUOTE (toturi @ Oct 13 2009, 04:39 AM) *
I find your lack of Jar Jar disturbing.

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for an Ares Predator.
Thanee
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DzcOCyHDqc

biggrin.gif

Bye
Thanee
Karoline
QUOTE (Thanee @ Oct 14 2009, 02:34 AM) *

biggrin.gif

Not sure what brought that up, but... biggrin.gif
Thanee
The post above mine reminded me to this. While it's not quite an Ares Predator, it seemed quite fitting, nonetheless. grinbig.gif

Bye
Thanee
crash2029
Oddly enough, almost none of my characters use predators.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012