Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: Checkmate
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Digital Heroin
Ok folks, I'm tossing my hat into the ring. It's one of those propeller hats too. I'm going to try my hand (again, as some of you may remember another attempt) at running a game. My fatal flaw in the last attempt was that I had an idea, a potentially good one, but little/no plan. I was trying to wing it. Never a good idea with an online format. So this time there is a method to my madness, and a madness to my method. Let's start with the basics...

Teaser:

Extractions are always fun, when the target is willing.

Char Gen Rules:

• Priority or Build Point (130) system only.
• Shapeshifters or ghouls must be approved by me.
• No Otaku.
• Variant Metahumans are allowed, though are subject to denial.
• SURGE is allowed, with either a roll (include results with character) or buy E/F style points balance
• Maximum rating 6.
• Maximum availability 8.
• +/-10 Points for Edges/Flaws Max.
- There can be no more than a 3 point gap between end Edge/Flaw point value.
- Matrix Addiction Flaw cannot be purchased at the -6 value.
- Aptitude will be allowed for combat applications, for special cases (ex. Character has no cyber/magic).
- Hunted, Extra Enemy, and similar flaws are to include a name of the person (or organization) who is hunting/hating the character, and a reason behind this.

I would like characters to know eachother, and have worked together in the past. This does not mean that they have all worked as a group, but they're all tied to eachother through past work.

Example: Runner A and B are a team, as are Runners C and D, E works alone. At some point, Runner E is hired to do a run alongside Runners A and B. At a later point in time Runner D is hospitalized, so Runners C and E team up for a short time.

The links can be simple, they can be complex. I encourage prospective players to work these ties out amongst themselves.

History is key. I don't expect a tome on your character, but a half page to a page may just earn you some consideration for that special something you'd like to have, but aren't sure I'll allow.

I will be accepting applications until 06-Feb-04 (next Friday) at midnight, Eastern Standard time.

Application questions, concerns, and/or miscellaneous death threats and cookie recipies can be addressed to: anomaly_of_the_void@hotmail.com
Digital Heroin
Oh, and if anyone can figure out what the drek at the bottom of my tag means, add the line and translation to your e-mail for a goodie! nyahnyah.gif
phelious fogg
Do you mean the "SR1 ..." or the Morse Code?
kevyn668
The geek code I can figure out...

DH: Since Juggernaught got sidelined I was thinking of using "Cassidy". I still have the first draft before we got the power increase (I think I liked that version better--it was simpler). Does that sound good or should not bother?

Also, Ranygun's guns and/or rules??
Dashifen
You interested in a Voodoo Full Mage named Pili that I was putting together for a different game but switch to play a Ork Investigator? I sent you the sr3 file and the background that I wrote for him.
Digital Heroin
Bottom line of the sig it'd be... geekblock's linked in someone elses sig, too easy...

kevyn: The only issue I can see with a character made for Juggernaut, aside from the fact the game may still proceed (I'd rather see different characters played than in existing runs), would be the fact that Juggernaut was meant for very expirienced characters... the BP+Karma setup makes for a character that'd grossly overmatch the rest of the group.

As for the question regarding Raygun's rules, I prefer to stick to canon reference.

Dashifen: *drops the big rubber stamp of approval on Pili* Welcome to Checkmate.

The one thing I'd like to encourage here, for those still interested, is new characters. The rewards I give for background are enough to give a little extra to the characters, so don't fear. I'd also like to see that all important tie in with the other runners. Heck, if you want to say they bumped into eachother at a Stuffer shack the week before the run, run wild.

Also, this will hopefully be the first of a chain of runs, as the trend of late seems to be shifting towards... so have no worries about your characters ending up one shot, I'm gonna do my best to see that doesn't happen.
Blitz
Im in...I'll submit a character over the weekend. Any standards on morality?
kevyn668
New character being processed as you read this.
Dashifen
:rofl: Hi Blitz. You'll recognize Pili. Can't play 'em in one run ... might as well use him in the next! Digital Heroin -- one thing, Pili was made with 125 points, you might if I update the sheet to include the last 5 points? I'll probably use it for 2 points of attributes and 1 point on a skill somewhere.
Blitz
Im going for the face type.
Bearclaw
I'm very interested.
I've got a human, noncyber non magic ganger I'd like to play. Pretty much a melee monster with a bunch of contacts of the seedier type. And lots of cool tattoos.
Grey
Messaged you with an ex-Wildcat muscle type.
Bearclaw
Messaged you with Manuel Aguinaldo's background. It turned into a couple pages before I stopped myself. Sorry.
Digital Heroin
Blitz: I'd prefer characters not to be socipaths... but beyond that, it's all up in the air.

kevyn: Looking forward to it.

Grey: My ISP's hating on Geocities lately, can't reach any sites... do you have another medium you can send to me in?

Bearclaw: Excellent bio, definitly liked it and I'm looking forward to seeing the character. Just send the SR3 file to the e-mail in the inital post of the thread.
Glyph
DH, I have a char-gen question. Do you allow mages to spend spellpoints on initiation? I'm asking because I'm leaning towards playing Stitch (sorcerer specializing in both mundane and magical healing) again, but he really needs that initiation to work (it's to bring his Magic back up after some minimal cyberware). If not, no big deal - I'll just submit my second choice, Rent (adept bodyguard and atypical troll).
Digital Heroin
Toss me a history, and I'll consider giving enough Karma to you for the initation. That's been a standard background reward, Karma or a special request item.
Bearclaw
Manny's in the mail.
Glyph
Okay, Stitch's background has been sent.
Blitz
Im just gonna go with my awesome Moon Shaman that can't seem to find a long lasting game. Ill send her off.
Blitz
Whoops. Changed my mind again...going for Mack, my face.
Blitz
Mack was only built on 123 points, so Im sending you a revised version for your build requirements.
Digital Heroin
Everything's looking good so far... might be I'll be starting a few days early... we'll see how training goes tommorrow...
kevyn668
Still got room or did I miss the boat?? smile.gif

I was toying around w/ a Gun Adept character concept--kinda like a poor man's version of "Tybalt" from the Romeo and Julliet remake....But I won't bother crunching the numbers if you guys are all set.
Bearclaw
Hey guys, it looks like a few of us are ready to play. Anyone want to start working on connections between us?

Maybe we should just start another thread?
Dashifen
Nah, just use this thread. I think what we should do is all post the background stories that we've generated for our characters. Then, after we've read a few of them, we can start to piece together how they fit together. I'll start, but my background for Pili is at home. Therefore, I'll edit this post and post it in about 10 minutes.

Also, for those of us with laptops only and therefore not a very large screen, I would appreciate it if background stories were posted in spoiler tags. That way you can close the spoiler section and the thread isn't huge later on. Hopefully this isn't a major problem for others.

To use a spoiler tag (just in case) you just use the word [ spoiler ] to start the spoiler section and [ /spoiler ] to end the section. Just don't put any spaces between the brackets and the word and things should work out nicely.
Blitz
[ Spoiler ]
Bearclaw
OK, I guess that'll work.

[ Spoiler ]
Dashifen
[ Spoiler ]

I see a way to link Manny and Pili. I hadn't imagined Pili as having too many connections to the Ork Underground, but being an Ork, it's possible that they met there and worked together on a few small jobs while he kept a low profile. Plus, if necessary, Pili could ahve been the person who helped Manny get back into the Seatle area after hiding out in the NAN. That falls in with Pili's desire to help the underdog.
Grey
DH: I just sent you the character in a zip file. Hopefully that will work for you. If not, let me know and I'll see what else I can do.

Orcs: My character is an Orc as well, so if anyone wants to work our backgrounds together, thats cool. My characer is an ex-Wildcat. He wasn't a shaman or adept, so he cept getting cyber upgrades to try and keep up with everyone else. This only served for them to treat him as more and more of an outcast, so finally he left to go someplace people wouldn't shun him for being cybered up.
Blitz
everyone's an ork???

damn...y'all are gonna make me look GORGEOUS! LOL
Bearclaw
Manny's human, but he's got a couple of Orc contacts.
Grey
Dash: If you want to work the Orc Underground thing, let me know. Courgar has 4 points in the knowledge skill, so he'd know his way around it.
Dashifen
Works for me.
Bearclaw
OK, I added a little to my background. One of the reasons he's well connected in the seedier parts of the Southern Seattle sprawl is his skill with a tattoo gun. Most of his contacts bear some of his work, usually given away for free, goodwill being the aim.
As Manny is no longer a "thug", he's been tattooing more and more for money, while waiting for shadow work, or the occasional chance at a lone Yak soldier. It's an easy hook for an intro smile.gif
Tai-Pan
QUOTE (kevyn668)
Still got room or did I miss the boat?? smile.gif

I was sorta thinking the same thing.

My rough count puts it at 6 or 7 Depending on if kevyn668 makes it in.
Digital Heroin
I'm going to do a quick rundown of who's approved, and what space is left... when in doubt, I'll make room... *nod* Will post that up tonight, need to polish my boots first (inspection with 30 second polished boots = bad), watch some RAW...
Digital Heroin
Ok folks... roster as it stands:

Mack (Blitz) - Human Face
Cougar (Grey) - Ork Ex-Wildcat
Pili (Dashifen) - Ork Hougan
Manuel (Bearclaw) - Human Ganger
Stitch (Glyph) - Human Sorcerer

Excellent backgrounds and characters all 'round. I'm also liking the ties to the Ork Underground as well.

kevyn, Tai-Pan... if you can toss me characters ASAP, then you've made the cutoff...

Anyone who didn't get it (or if I gave less), 15 Karma to your character, or if you have a special request, run it by me. And if I made any mistakes, kick me, I don't bruise easily. nyahnyah.gif

I hope to be starting in a night or so, pushing the original timeline a bit.
toturi
Can I join? Anyway, I've added my submission.
toturi
Here's my charactor's Background. BTW, I didn't include the background and contacts in the char submission, it is all here instead:

[ Spoiler ]
Grey
Here is a quick background for Cougar:

[ Spoiler ]
Grey
DH: I'm spending the karma award on +2 to my Spurs (specialization of Cyber Implant Weaponry) skill and +2 to Pull Bows (specialization of Projectile Weapons) skill.
Dashifen
DH: Two Things

1) Pili was originally build with 125 bp. I'm going to add 2 to strength (4 bp) and 1 to his whips skill to round out his melee capabilities. 'Course, if we're down to getting into melee with the full mage, there's other problems!!

2) With the karma award you gave me, would you allow an initiatiation without a group but with an ordeal? IIRC, that's exactly 15 karma. If not, what about an ally spirit?
Bearclaw
That's a good idea. Instead of what I did on Manny with the extra 15, I'm adding one to clubs and taking electronics - 2. New .sr3 in the mail biggrin.gif
Tai-Pan
QUOTE (Digital Heroin)
kevyn, Tai-Pan... if you can toss me characters ASAP, then you've made the cutoff...

I've got a job interview in a hour or so, I'll get that taken care of and get my character submitted sometime this evening.
kevyn668
[ Spoiler ]

Hey DH: If you like the background, let me know and I can get you a char sometime tomorrow. My home comp is down so I have to write up the char and then transcribe him to Word at work. Its a pisser...
Tai-Pan
QUOTE (Tai-Pan)
QUOTE (Digital Heroin @ Feb 3 2004, 12:40 AM)

I've got a job interview in a hour or so, I'll get that taken care of and get my character submitted sometime this evening.

long day, dead tired, I'll get to work on it in the Morning...peace

Mark
Glyph
DH, I have emailed you the complete version of Stitch. Here is a summary for everyone else:

[ Spoiler ]
Digital Heroin
toturi - We're full for bear at the moment, but you're first alternate in case anyone drops out, or gets geeked.

Tai-Pan - It's all good, original deadline still stands at the moment; as I just got finished a five hour duty watch, and have an inspection and class in the morning I'm a bit wiped, so not really working on the openers

kevyn - History looks excellent, I look forward to receiving the character

Glyph - received and good to go.

Looks like we're on a Friday start time, possibly Thursday, we shall see. Scary fact: for the first time in my GMing history, I've almost got a complete map of a location complete, and a second started, before the run commences... biggrin.gif
Tai-Pan
Just getting back from the second interview of the week, and reworking one of the characters I had on my old hard drive, from memory...Quick Question, What year are we in?
Digital Heroin
I'm going with April 2063, a la the SSG... keeps thinks simple for my brain...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012