Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: non-cannon surge
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Straight Razor
This can go for ether 4th or 3rd, as they work similar in both systems.

I'd like to see what you all can come up with for some new surges.
I'll start with

edge
Owl neck 2(3 if spell caster)
Can turn head 270 degrees around.

flaw
Carrion eater 1
Can only eat natural meat that is 3 days rotten. All other solid food will make character sick.
Maelstrome
making it cost more because of being a spell caster? is there anything else that works like this in surge?

looks pretty interesting. got any more?
Straight Razor
QUOTE (Maelstrome @ Oct 17 2009, 10:10 PM) *
making it cost more because of being a spell caster? is there anything else that works like this in surge?

looks pretty interesting. got any more?

the dual nature flaw was -10 (-5 awakened) circa 3rd ed
thermal vision surge edge was 2 (1 rigger decker) also 3rd
Saint Sithney
Sure here's a couple. Figure I'd use SR4 #s since SURGE is fleshed out more in the new books.

edge
Limited Regeneration (25bp) - Timeframe for healing tests is reduced from 1 day to 4 hours. Stabilization is automatic as long as char is within overflow. Severed limbs and damaged organs will regain function with time making cyberlimb replacements impossible. Any implants require regular adapsin treatments to keep from being expelled by the body.

Tauric Form (30bp) - Character's lower body is replaced by the body of a quadruped animal of size appropriate to metatype. Double movement rate, increase body min/max by 2, gains natural kick/claw (DV (Str/2)P, AP 0, Reach 0, Unarmed), increase living expenses by 20%, all armor must be custom fit at 4x price +2 availability (stock torso-only armor can still be bought at regular price, but only has 1/3 effectiveness.) Applies freaks social penalty.
-Alt ver. (25bp) Same as tauric form, but lower body is serpentine. Double swimming and climbing rates, increase min/max body by 1, gains constrict natural attack (DV (Str/2)P, AP -half impact, reach -1, Specialization needed,) increase living expenses by 20%, all armor must be custom fit at 3x price +2 availabiltiy (stock torso armor has 1/2 effectiveness) and must always leave underside exposed to allow for movement, prohibiting full chemical seal. Applies freaks social penalty.

flaw
Maw (-5bp) - Character has a large animalistic jaw, capable of viscous biting attacks (str/2+1p, Unarmed Combat, reach 0) but this mouth is not designed for human speech. Character has trouble making words come out and sort of slobbers and drools as they do so. Impose double freaks social penalty.

Flighty (-15bp) - Character must make a composure test (3) whenever surprised, or they take an interrupt action on the next pass to run away from the immediate threat using an additional +2 bonus to their running skill. Subsequent composure tests can be made each combat turn after the first at a decreasing threshold until the char regains control of their actions. threshold is additionally reduced by 1 if the threat is not immediately apparent (i.e. a sniper shot is less likely to trigger a flight response than getting jumped by ninjas.)
Jhaiisiin
While I like the option for Maw, I don't think you should be doubling the freaks social penalty. Nothing else does, no matter how extravagant, and honestly, I'd freak out more from a half-snake guy than I would from some guy with a big monkey or lion or croc mouth.

And to contribute, how about this? (SR4 here):

Negative Quality
Animal Features 5-10 bp
The changeling character has grown one or more animal features, usually themed after a specific animal. Most commonly, the character will simply have facial changes, but sometimes other instances of ears changing, whiskers showing up, or even the way body hair distributes over the body can change significantly. This quality does not provide fur of any sort, which is covered by Unusual Hair, but is able to be combined with other qualities to complete the look. For 5 bp, minor or semi-subtle changes occur, such as becoming an ape-face, or growing cat ears or somesuch. For 10bp, a full facial conversion occurs, altering everything from nose to cheeks to ears to match the animal in question. This can be combined with the Proboscis quality to help create the Ganesha changelings mentioned in the flavor text.

I was wanting to make a troll gorilla but noticed nothing changes the face to what I wanted, short of me just flavor texting it, so figure this makes sense.
Straight Razor
are wings covered in 4ed? i see them as and advanced version of the 4 arm surge. instead of extra pair of arms you get wings. grants you flight, can't be hidden. 15 points?
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Straight Razor @ Oct 18 2009, 08:12 PM) *
are wings covered in 4ed? i see them as and advanced version of the 4 arm surge. instead of extra pair of arms you get wings. grants you flight, can't be hidden. 15 points?

I would make flight 20 pts.
Jhaiisiin
I'd make it 10 for gliding, 20 for full flight.
Ravor
Also personally instead of requiring "treatments" in order to use implants, I'd require a certain grade of cyber be used instead, Delta if you want to keep with the current rules, or Beta if you want to go alittle easier and figure that the regen isn't as "drastic".
Straight Razor
QUOTE (Jhaiisiin @ Oct 18 2009, 10:00 PM) *
I'd make it 10 for gliding, 20 for full flight.

is there not already a "flying squirrel" edge that gives you reduced falling damage to full gliding depending on how much you take it.
Jhaiisiin
Maybe?

*checks*

Not that I see in RC... maybe I'm overlooking it though.
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Jhaiisiin @ Oct 18 2009, 07:06 AM) *
While I like the option for Maw, I don't think you should be doubling the freaks social penalty. Nothing else does, no matter how extravagant, and honestly, I'd freak out more from a half-snake guy than I would from some guy with a big monkey or lion or croc mouth.

Deformity applies double freaks modifiers if it's not hidden. I figured a guy with a 12-inch grin all slavering at you Joseph Merrick style would fit that bill since most folk would assume that they were bestial in thought as well as appearance due to their lack of communication. All that mouth breathing and drool don't inspire personal confidence.
Snakey, though, is still human upstairs, which leaves the normal range of human expression. Some snake lady chatting on her com link doesn't suggest that she's a twitch away from eating your face, so I'd go with just regular freaky. Though that whole line of thought was still way overpowered. Increased movement and body, plus a natural attack? Way too much for the minor inconvenience of a sliding-scale lifestyle charge and 3x or 4x more for already cheap armor, a one time expense. It should also up the cost of all bodyware, gene treatments, nano, hell anything that expects you to be humanoid and have mass less than a small car. Maybe increase by 2x and 3x. That would encourage an Awakened bias which would reflect well on the concept. Also reduce min/max body on plain Tauric from 2 to 1. That brings it in line with the Centaur critter entry.

As for the Regeneration needing delta, yeah, I suppose beta would be a good compromise for Limited Regen. It'd only really be useful in a situation where you've got a ticking clock and drek for first aid/magic. Should probably also make Stun Healing checks for 15 minutes rest instead of an hour. That way, a banged up guy could maybe get better during the getaway instead of after. Makes the Adept "rapid healing" power actually appealing for once.

And to wings/gliding, YotC doesn't mention it as a SURGE quality either. Though checking has reminded me that HMHVV infected were more likely to SURGE. A vampire with insect traits would be hilarious/great. Though not half as funny as a ghoul with astral hazing.
Jhaiisiin
I stand corrected, my apologies. And I can see where you're coming from with justifying Maw as having double penalties. I don't agree with it, but I can understand your point.
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Jhaiisiin @ Oct 19 2009, 10:45 AM) *
I stand corrected, my apologies. And I can see where you're coming from with justifying Maw as having double penalties. I don't agree with it, but I can understand your point.

No worries. wobble.gif
The double freekness is part of why it's a flaw. Scary + ill communicator.
I mean, normally you'd have to spend 10bp to get a natural attack like that, not get 5bp.

Maybe a version with less of a drooling beastie face would fit into the perks category?
I was just thinking permanent Halloween puss when i thought it up.
Jhaiisiin
I can see there being levels of Maw with that then. Gorilla mouth, Monster Mouth, and Gaping-Drooling-Suck-Your-Soul-Into-The-Abyss-And-Ask-For-Seconds mouth... That way you have varying levels of Freak.
Straight Razor
inflatable throat. you can inflate you throat to the size of you head. -1

opposable toe. can grip with bare feet similar to hand. +1

Patagium . expandable skin that runs from wrist to ankle. If unencumbered by clothing can be deployed and used to glide. +5

musk gland -1

wings. you have wings instead of arms; wingspan of 2 X height.. you have no hands and can not use most things. grants flight. +5 (free is only grants gliding)

angel wings. you have an extra set of limbs that are wings; wingspan of 2 X height. gliding 10, flight 20

Irrepressible instinct. there is an socially unacceptable urg you have no control over. -1 to -5
example; eating bugs, scratching head with foot, licking ones self, licking others, animal like vocalizations.

Frog tong, reach +1 not sure if this is a flaw or edge
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Straight Razor @ Oct 20 2009, 07:53 PM) *
opposable toe. can grip with bare feet similar to hand. +1

musk gland -1

Frog tong, reach +1 not sure if this is a flaw or edge

These 3 are already included in the SR4 RC. In fact, I'll include names for flaws/perks found in one resource but not another.
hope the Cat guys don't think I'm giving away the store sarcastic.gif

YotC exclusive flaws:
Bio-Rejection - cyber and non-cult bio ist verboten
Chronic Osteocuspus - like bone spikes but agonizing
Dual-natured - s/e
Pointed ears - covered by RC pos: Metahuman traits.
Tusks - ditto

YotC exclusive edges:
Astral sight - s/e
Goblinization - n/a
Improved Taste - as adept
Disease resistance - s/e
Poison Resistance - s/e

RC excl Pos Quality:
360-degree Eyesight - s/e
Animal Pelage - quills, insulation, camo furs
Arcane Arrester - half spell force
Balance Receptor - like cyber
Beak - s/e
Bicardiac - heart on heart action
Biosonar - like cyber
Bone Spikes - like osteocuspus, but weaponized.
Camouflage - s/e
Celerity - increase movement
Climate Adaptation - s/e
Corrosive Spit - s/e
Dermal Alteration - critter skins
Defensive Secretion - toad skin
Glamour - tranny skin (j/k) - social++
Electrosense - sense elec. activity
Elongated Limbs - s/e
Frog Tongue - exotic weapon
Functional Tail - includes swim and weapon tails
Greasy Skin - s/e
Larger Tusks - natural attack
Magnetosense - sense mag. activity
Metagenetic Improvement (Attribute) - increase min/max att
Metahuman Traits - now it's a good thing
Monkey Paws - feet hands
Nasty Vibe - demonic equiv of glamour
Ogre Stomach - digestive expansion
Photometabolism - solar
Proboscis - like elephant
Setae - gecko grip
Shiva Arms - s/e
Thermal Sensitivity - see heat activity
Underwater Vision - s/e
Webbed hands/feet - s/e

RC excl Neg Quality:
Adiposis - incurable obesity
Berserker - s/e
Bioluminescence - glow in the dark skin
Cephalopoidal Skull - unleash the kraken
Deformity - s/e
Insectoid Features - shoot me sign
Mood Hair - s/e
Neoteny - stays a child
Nocturnal - s/e
Progeria - stays an old child, also dies young.
Impaired (Attribute) - minus max
Scent Glands - s/e
Stubby Arms - s/e
Symbiosis - think dryad
Thorns - osteocuspus again

Now you see why it's hard coming up with new monstrosities nyahnyah.gif
TeknoDragon
A few ideas of my own:

Quadruped (-10 BP flaw): The character's spine, hips, and legs are altered to force them to move about on all fours.

Gills (+5? BP edge): able to 'breathe' underwater, requires periodic moisturizing or suffer (treat as mild/common allergy (air) until the character gets their fix).

Extra legs (+10 BP edge): usually centauroid form, the character receives +1 die on balance tests to resist being knocked over, walk speed +25% to base, run speed +75% to base. See Centaur in Runner's Companion for notes on problems this body-type has dealing with biped-built buildings, vehicles.
Sixgun_Sage
QUOTE (TeknoDragon @ Oct 22 2009, 02:32 PM) *
Quadruped (-10 BP flaw): The character's spine, hips, and legs are altered to force them to move about on all fours.

Maybe a 5 point version that allows them to move upright for a period of time based on a balance test? Say 1 minute per succes?
The Overlord
Here are a couple that I came up with a while back. I will post some more when I flesh them out some more.

(5)Segmented Body- Much like ants, wasps, and other insects, the exterior of your body has hardened and now is reminiscent of insects. You gain a +1 natural armor and +1 to body for tests involving impact damage. However you will need to purchase custom made cloths and due to the differences in your body structure, Any invasive surgery(bio and cyberware) is much more difficult to have incorporated into the body.

(+5)Lizard frill(s)-on one or more parts of your body has frills much like that of a lizard. While you have some control over them, they tend to flare out when you are feeling an extreme emotion like anger or glee. {usual locations are on neck, under arms, back, head.}

(+5/10)Ore Skin-(sections of skin to entire limbs take on a crystal/metallic texture/consistency)-[minor: just feel, but no real bonus|Major: actual bonus, but more obvious]---haven't finished

(+5)Plant growth- Some incomplete gene has cause your body to grow plant structures on various parts of your body. While you can trim them, they will grow back, though they will never grow too unruly. Some examples are moss, flowers, twigs, brush, leafs, bonsai trees. You gain no bonus from this.

(+5) Soil like skin- For some reason your skin seems to be a perfect place for plants to grow. Often times seeds, spores and the like from the environment will somehow manage to get on you and begin to grow as if they were in soil. The root system will slowly dig their way down into your body. While the roots of small plants will never cause you harm, larger plants can be dangerous. However with proper gardening skills it is possible to safely maintain vegetation on your body. It is inadvisable to attempt to grow fruits or vegetables since growing them will be a pain, not to mention harvesting them.

(+5)Extra arms(vestigial)- The two extra arms you were suppose to grow have never fully developed and have become vestigial. While they can move, they are to small and weak to do anything significant beyond holding small and light objects.
Straight Razor
Gills was cannon in 3rd +4 {similar to OXSYS Cybergills, except no maintenance required. |yotc.141}

i like the mineral skin, It could be a good twist with the thick skin edges in 4th. something that can stack like cyber armor would be great. The current dermal armor surges strike me as useless since they are not compatible with worn armor. Unless of course you have a shifter, vampire, or the like that can't really ware armor in a useful seance.
Though i have been kicking around the idea of a turtle shifter.
Sir_Psycho
(+5)Plant growth- Some incomplete gene has cause your body to grow plant structures on various parts of your body. While you can trim them, they will grow back, though they will never grow too unruly. Some examples are moss, flowers, twigs, brush, leafs, bonsai trees. You gain no bonus from this.

How about:
(+10)Awakened plant growth- Some incomplete gene has cause your body to grow awakenedplant structures on various parts of your body. While you can trim them, they will grow back, though they will never grow too unruly. Within 3 days the awakened plants will grow enough of their active component to yield one dose. The type of awakened compound the plants yield must be selected when purchasing the quality. Possible examples include animal tongue cacti plant growth for a compound that controls animals, or the red orchid plant growth, growing an awakened opiate on your body.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012