Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Programming and Nexi
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Cheshyr
I'm setting up a shop. In Unwired, pg196, we are told we can purchase nexi:

Nexi are nodes designed for more users and traffic than
standard nodes like commlinks and home terminals (see Nexi, p.
50). Nexi can be purchased by their individual component costs,
given below (Signal is normal cost), or one of the pre-packaged
nexi may be chosen.

In looking for ways to make the shop profitable, I found Programming Suites and Nexus Programming rules in Unwired, pg118:

A coder can also take advantage of a virtual programming
environment on a mainframe or network of connected nodes
(see Nexus, p. 196). Programming environments are expert
programming agents designed specifically for the computing
capacity of corporate nexi. Unlike suites, environments do not
have ratings and don’t add dice to any tests for programming/
upgrading. Using a programming environment, however, reduces
the interval of the programming/upgrading test by half.

The rules then go on to explain how much it costs to rent time on a Nexus, and completely skips over what specs are required for a player to use a Nexi that they own.

Suggestions?
Summerstorm
Yeah, i saw that too. I would say that a programming suit (umm ENVIRONMENT, i meant) is a a software mix... maybe a few agents... say... three or four, some ultra-expensive edit/browse software for each of them. And maybe a mix of assorted databases and codefragments from all available types of programs. Also a very good VR-interface software. (What you do is what you build)

I would let someone steal it, or buy it for a LOT of cash. Maybe... the price of a facility (100k since it is pretty much a software-facility). But never less than 50.000 + monthly costs for patches, updates and legal crap.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Summerstorm @ Oct 18 2009, 01:59 PM) *
Yeah, i saw that too. I would say that a programming suit is a a software mix... maybe a few agents... say... three or four, some ultra-expensive edit/browse software for each of them. And maybe a mix of assorted databases and codefragments from all available types of programs. Also a very good VR-interface software. (What you do is what you build)

I would let someone steal it, or buy it for a LOT of cash. Maybe... the price of a facility (100k since it is pretty much a software-facility). But never less than 50.000 + monthly costs for patches, updates and legal crap.

They have prices for Programming Suites in Unwired, in the back of the book in the tables... they are traditionally rated from rating 1 to 6...

Programming Environments are something completely different, and I would charge the equivalent fo a Facility for such capabilities... as that is exactly what they really are...

Keep the Faith
Summerstorm
Yeah just like i said... just switch the words, mixed them up... rest i keep as i wrote *g*.
Cheshyr
Yeah, programming suites I've got covered. No big deal. It was the programming environments that threw me for a loop. When buying a Nexi, you have to specify processor count, etc, and that scales the price of the nexi. Min 10, max 50, according to the rules. What would be the min required for a nexi to count as a programming environment? Also, what differentiates the two? I can understand your desire not to give the PCs an overpowered virtual facility, but it IS virtual, and Nexi aren't 100k pieces of hardware.

Edit: Atually, I get it now.

Programming environments are expert programming agents designed specifically for the computing capacity of corporate nexi.

So I'd need a nexi with a certain set of stats, and then I'd need the agents with appropriate autosofts of the appropriate rank. Yeah, that 100k number is sounding more reasonable.
hobgoblin
quick guess, the big corps dont want to sell you what they can rent you wink.gif

kinda like why cure some problem when one can continually treat the symptoms?

but then i prefer to think that the common comlink user do not run programs on theirs, but instead log onto some MSP node and make use of services found there...
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Oct 18 2009, 02:36 PM) *
quick guess, the big corps dont want to sell you what they can rent you wink.gif

kinda like why cure some problem when one can continually treat the symptoms?

but then i prefer to think that the common comlink user do not run programs on theirs, but instead log onto some MSP node and make use of services found there...

A lot of common people in Shadowrun probably go this route, yes...

Keep the Faith
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012