Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need help, Price on Mechanic/"other labor" contacts
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
darune
Dear all,

So one of PCs came up with an idea that he wants to have his bike (chopper) modified so that he can hide his kantana in it. Our group has discusses if this is even possible and I will allow him although i don't think its the easiest of designs.

So I have read most/all the rules on vehicle modifications in arsenal. To those not in the know it is basicly done so that you have a cost and availability of the "Raw materials" and a threshold you have to beat to complete the modification (using appropriate skill(s)). You also need either toolkit, shop or facility access depending on the mod.

Now, there is no one in the group that have the skill nor the shop. Of course, they all have fixers but none of their contacts have the right skills in them selves.

I have looked in the book for the cost of hiring labor/maybe renting a shop, but i could not find any of the sort.

We are running missions and using the honour system for downtime, which means all downtime activity use the rule of trading in successes (w/ -1 cumulative on extended tests) and downtime is handled with little or no GM interaction.

On a side note, do you allow PCs to start with say vehicles with modifications already on them (and what do they cost then) ?

It seems to me the modifcation is designed with intent of the players doing the mods after Chargen, nothing wrong with that i think.

So is the player w/ the chopper out of luck ?
AndyZ
What you're looking at is a Smuggling Compartment. Stats on 142, Writeup on 144. It has a cost of 1,500 nuyen.gif and an availability of 6F. So yes, he can get it at creation. Normally it requires a Facility, but if the guy has a Fixer, maybe he bought the bike from said Fixer with this compartment already installed.

Just use the rules for Swag, page 280 on the 4th edition book, 287 on the 20th anniversary book, if he wants to have the fixer find somebody with a facility who can install the compartment.

If you ever want to get installations at character creation, you just have them pay the required nuyen and consider it done.

kzt
You could certainly find someone who would do it for cash. Particularly if you don't exactly say what it is for. Find out what shops the hard-core biker/go gangs get their work done and make some friends.

But I'm not sure the average bike frame has a two - three foot long straight place where you COULD hide a sword. Maybe along a hardtail? But you wouldn't be able to quickly access it anyhow.
MikeKozar
This is part of why we need additional game world fluff. You should have no trouble finding an auto shop that can do the mod - you can use mine as an NPC if you like. My Rigger's secret identity runs an automotive facility in Tukwila(South Renton in 2072) out of a restored bowling alley, and specializes in combat biking teams, racing bikes, and go-gangers. He has more space then he needs, so he rents out a half-dozen garage-sized chain-link fenced workspaces to bike teams who need to tune their bike and don't have anywhere to work on them - it gives them access to a facility for a fraction of the cost, and they can do the work themselves. He's a real gearhead, and has been known to cut deals if he likes the team. Since he has contacts with the Combat Biking League, he knows how to get permits for weapons and armor upgrades and the Law doesn't give him a hard time. Once you're out on the streets, you're on your own, but he can help you out.

THE ALLEY
Automotive Repair

Price List
Vehicle Mods Installed: List price +20%, (Dice Pool 12)
Vehicle Mod Parts: List price +10%
Facility Rental: 800y/month
Combat Biking League Registration: As Fake License(Weapon Mount)

If you wind up using it, let me know, I'll get a laugh out of it.

"Dyson"

Degausser
I am making a list of contacts that are not in the books in another thread, I will stat someone up for you in a while. Be sure to check it out.
Mantis
Our team solved this problem by buying a shop, renting a space for it and then buying a couple of GM Mr. Fixit drones with the right autosofts to do the actual work. The shop is 5000¥, drones are 6000 ¥ each plus 1500 ¥ per extra autosoft beyond the main one they come with and the space, well that depends on what you want to pay. We use the Runner's Companion expanded lifestyle rules for that. If you get a space with the Feng Shiu quality, it adds 3 dice to the mod tests, which given the somewhat limited skill levels of the stock drones, can be very helpful.
The interesting thing about the cost of the 'raw materials' for the mods is, in the real world, labour is generally far more expensive than the materials when it comes to building or modifying something. Yet SR seems to favour a material is more expensive than labour model, at least if you use the swag rules, since that only adds, at most 30% to the overall cost.
kzt
It's SR. Where magazines are clips, shotguns cover huge tracts of land, and velocity measures how rapidly a gun fires.
MikeKozar
QUOTE (Mantis @ Oct 19 2009, 01:01 PM) *
The interesting thing about the cost of the 'raw materials' for the mods is, in the real world, labour is generally far more expensive than the materials when it comes to building or modifying something. Yet SR seems to favour a material is more expensive than labour model, at least if you use the swag rules, since that only adds, at most 30% to the overall cost.

I think it's part of that Distopian Future thing - skilled labor is easy to come by, but the high-tech stuff will cost you an arm and a leg. Remember that corps can use those drones you bought for years with minimal maintenance, and even metahuman labor can be skillwired to do the job. The only thing that makes my Rigger stand out is that he owns a facility.

In 2072, it's not what you know or who you know, it's how SOTA you are.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (MikeKozar @ Oct 19 2009, 02:06 PM) *
I think it's part of that Distopian Future thing - skilled labor is easy to come by, but the high-tech stuff will cost you an arm and a leg. Remember that corps can use those drones you bought for years with minimal maintenance, and even metahuman labor can be skillwired to do the job. The only thing that makes my Rigger stand out is that he owns a facility.

In 2072, it's not what you know or who you know, it's how SOTA you are.

There is nothing like being SOTA

Keep the Faith
darune
Thanks for all the replies.

I was expecting "labor" to cost something around a 2 or 3 times the "raw materials". This was after looking at producing explosives for which there is both the cost of raw materials and you can buy the finished product just as well. Dunno if thats a special case though.

Besides what is the point of going through all the trouble of having to get a shop and spending points on skills if you can just buy the modifications for the same (or close) price ?
PlainWhiteSocks
Looks like the frame might be able to hide something long and straight with a little imagination and modification. Might not even be that hard to get to.

Ducati Streetfighter

kzt
QUOTE (PlainWhiteSocks @ Oct 20 2009, 09:05 AM) *
Looks like the frame might be able to hide something long and straight with a little imagination and modification. Might not even be that hard to get to.

Ducati Streetfighter

Those are both narrow and structural. You cut them and the bike falls apart. You can't fit a katana in that, you might fit a small sword blade (without a guard).
MikeKozar
QUOTE (darune @ Oct 20 2009, 03:10 AM) *
Besides what is the point of going through all the trouble of having to get a shop and spending points on skills if you can just buy the modifications for the same (or close) price ?

First, I like the depth of character it provides. It's almost a backstory thing, but if you're going to play a technical character you might as well play one that's a pro. It's not a concrete advantage in game, certainly - a facility is 100,000y and that could have bought me some sweet cyberware - but I'm at a point in my gaming career where I'd rather have a medium-power character that I really like then a one-dimensional character with the maximum abilities.

Second, it's a skillset that nobody else is going to have handy, at least not at character creation. I doubt the GM is going to work it in, but if the getaway car gets blown up and we need to get the shot-up city bus rolling before the facility melts down...I just might get us out of there. Mechanic is almost like Counterspelling in that respect - if it comes up, you'll be glad you have it.

~Mike
MikeKozar
QUOTE (kzt @ Oct 19 2009, 12:02 PM) *
But I'm not sure the average bike frame has a two - three foot long straight place where you COULD hide a sword. Maybe along a hardtail? But you wouldn't be able to quickly access it anyhow.

A valid point in 2009. I'd like to think that 2072 bikes are a little wilder, and body mods could let you get away with it. It's just too cool an idea not to allow.

Google Image search highlights for Concept Motorcycle:
http://outyourbackdoor.com/Images/aero.mot...uoka_001303.jpg
http://www.ubergizmo.com/photos/2007/10/suzuki-biplane.jpg
http://www.devicedaily.com/wp-content/uplo...-concept-01.jpg
http://www.allpar.com/cars/concepts/photos/tomahawk.jpg
http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/images/4/2...ordfishbike.jpg
http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/images/4/2...orcycle_149.jpg
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/4/20...ke-concept1.jpg

(Sorry, couldn't get them to display in the post)
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (MikeKozar @ Oct 20 2009, 11:03 AM) *
First, I like the depth of character it provides. It's almost a backstory thing, but if you're going to play a technical character you might as well play one that's a pro. It's not a concrete advantage in game, certainly - a facility is 100,000y and that could have bought me some sweet cyberware - but I'm at a point in my gaming career where I'd rather have a medium-power character that I really like then a one-dimensional character with the maximum abilities.

Second, it's a skillset that nobody else is going to have handy, at least not at character creation. I doubt the GM is going to work it in, but if the getaway car gets blown up and we need to get the shot-up city bus rolling before the facility melts down...I just might get us out of there. Mechanic is almost like Counterspelling in that respect - if it comes up, you'll be glad you have it.

~Mike

And never forget, if you are renting space to some of the local go gangs or tuner car freaks out there, you may have grounds to stand upon for your lifestyle cost being completely covered without any further expenditure out of your pocket...

One of the characters in our game does the same thing and is how he covers his lifestyle expenses...

Keep the Faith
PlainWhiteSocks
QUOTE (kzt @ Oct 20 2009, 08:35 AM) *
Those are both narrow and structural. You cut them and the bike falls apart. You can't fit a katana in that, you might fit a small sword blade (without a guard).

True, true and true.

Point being, with a little imagination you could probably make the sword look like a frame strut. Most people wouldn't look twice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012