Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mind Probe and Espionage
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Runner Smurf
In the course of running my current campaign, I've run into a serious problem. Espionage/political plots really fall apart when the characters start slinging Mind Probe spells. The more I've thought about it, the more it seems the Mind Probe spell is completely unbalancing - in the game world sense.

For example, intelligence agencies couldn't use field assets - there is simply no way you could ensure that an agent wouldn't be compromised almost immediately. Any organization with any resources at all would make sure that anyone having access to truly secure information would be scanned before being given access.

That being said, is there any way to try and balance the capabilities of the spell? Sure, having a high willpower helps, but it's not going to stop people. Heck, my players have already figured out to hit the target with some drugs first and then scan him.

I've already considered the following limitations:
1. Mind probe cannot search for information - it only allows you access to what they are currently thinking about. Kind of breaks the guidelines listed in the book...
2. Increase the drain?
3. Secondary effects? The link works both ways to an extent, and the caster can pick up personality traits from the target, etc.?

Anybody else have any thoughts or ideas? Am I missing something obvious?

- Runner Smurf
sable twilight
Oh my, magic changing they way classic institutions have to act? Welcome to the 6th world chummer.
Dashifen
I agree with sable twilight. If mindprobe is an issue for you, make your field agents a team with at least one mage who can provide spell defense to those in the team. That should help combat random mind probes.

Or, make it so that the field agents don't know the information they're delivering. Encrypted data chips or even just messages that mean nothing except to the people who can decipher it have been in use for decades and would defeat a mind probe.

For example, if your field agent is going from one place to another to give someone information, then make it in a code-phrase. Kinda like, "The crow flies at midnight" or some spy novel line you like. Then the field agent gets probed and all the runner gets is the phrase and the parties who are delivering and receiving it. Getting to those two should be significantly more difficult than getting to the field agent.

Lastly, if you really want to be nasty, remember that a person thinks in a language. If I'm thinking about my schedule, I do so in English because it's my primary language. However, a field agent from Japan would probably have thoughts and memories that are rife with Japanese. If you're mind probing magic user isn't fluent in the language of their target, all they'll have is visual information. It's a technicallity, but if you need it, the possiblity is there.
BitBasher
I made mind probe Touch, and brutally obvious to the victim. I also made it a Felony under the heading Magical Rape which will put you right square on the top of EVERYONE's most wanted list. You also leave your spell signature in the subject's brain, like all other spells that leave a signature, making you relatively easy to track down.

Consquences.
Velocity
It is a powerful spell and potentially very problematic, especially if you run games--like I do--with a lot of political machinations and double-dealing. I can only suggest that re-writing the spell in order to limit it to scanning surface thoughts is tantamount to banning the spell outright. Personally, I wouldn't do that.

Increasing the Drain Code is an option, but if the PCs have the target in a position where they're able to administer drugs to them, then Drain probably isn't an issue (i.e. the mage can allocate most, if not all, of their pool dice to resist Drain since their casting TN will be so low).

My preference is to have the NPCs compartmentalize information: if 21st-century organizations (governments, corporations, etc.) are aware of Mind Probe spells, they'll take pains to ensure that each individual agent knows the bare minimum. In other words, the field agents know enough to do their job and that's it. This way, the PCs may gain some insight and helpful clues, but won't learn enough to spill the entire plot.

Hope that helps.
Frag-o Delux
I thought Mind Probe was always touch range?

Also I don't think many people will want to do business with a group of guys who always grab you up and Mind Probe you either. If you were some big wig in the under ground would you want some two bit punks grabbing you up and running through your head to see if you are a Government stooge, I don't think so.
spotlite
In SR2 it was touch range. In SR3 it uses detection spell ranges, making it VERY powerful.

Limiting it back down to touch range is a good temporary fix, but there's nothing stopping a player designing a ranged version again.

Personally, we have the target aware of it, unless they are unconcious. When I say aware of it, I mean like people are aware of when a mage passes through them astrally. if they're trained to recognise the signs, they'll know what's happened, if they aren't, then they don't have much of a chance.

The way we do it (house rule time! yaaaay!) is that a mind probe calls to the persons conscious mind the memories and information being sifted through. If they're asleep/unconcious they might remember some weird dreams but that probably won't be enough for all but the most paranoid people (and I mean 'the voices in my head tell me you're out to get me' kind of paranoid here, not just runner-paranoid). If you're conscious however, you'll realise that for no apparent reason you suddenly thought about all your account passwords, the faces and addresses of your loved ones, and about that affair you had with a donkey in somalia four years ago. If you're trained for it, that will throw you a BIG clue you've been probed. If you aren't, well, maybe its a guilty conscience, or maybe its the cheese you had before bed last night...

BitBasher
Limiting it back down to touch range is a good temporary fix, but there's nothing stopping a player designing a ranged version again.
Yes, as a matter of fact there is. I'm the GM and noone has ever sucessfully designed a touch version of the spell. If the PC wants to spend millions of dollars and thens of thousands of man hours to try to do so like a megacorp would, i'll give them a chance to succeed... years down the road.

Also, mind probe in my game is excriciatingly painful, it will sure as heck wake someone up if you do it. Also, as others have house ruled the person immediately knows what memories were accessed.
spotlite
well fair enough, if you're a 'just say no' type of GM. I personally do prefer to have a little in game justification, and if other detection spells have range I can't really see a reason that one couldn't, beyond 'it just doesn't work'. But I do know where you're coming from. If you run the kind of game where it screws your plot up horribly then sure, disallow it cos that would be a pain in the arse. But you don't need to take quite the 'as a matter of fact' tone like that. I wasn't calling your judgement into question, or the right to make your ruling!
BitBasher
well fair enough, if you're a 'just say no' type of GM. I personally do prefer to have a little in game justification, and if other detection spells have range I can't really see a reason that one couldn't, beyond 'it just doesn't work'.
I'm not a GM that says no for no good reason either, and in character I could come up with multiple very good reasons that this wouldn't work based on the science of magic inside the universe. That doesn't change the fact here in the real world. There are exceptions to the operation of multiple spells in the game, that doesn't make this one unique. In fact, I have a subset of rules that this spell follows for all mind altering spells that deal with memory, a core function of the brain.

But I do know where you're coming from. If you run the kind of game where it screws your plot up horribly then sure, disallow it cos that would be a pain in the arse.
Actually it can't screw up my plot, because I run completely freeform. If a PC kills a main NPC then so be it, that's the way the cookie crumbles. This on the other hand creats a scenario where the game is simply unenjoyable if it's used the way it would be if the spell is used as it was in the book. One NPC that lands a mindprobe through some binoculars on ANY party member, and game is over. he knows their homes, locations, where they feel safe. They're dead or as good as it.

Largely this doesnt happen in my game because my players avoid mindprobe and I do too, kind of a gentleman's agreement.

But you don't need to take quite the 'as a matter of fact' tone like that. I wasn't calling your judgement into question, or the right to make your ruling!
If I have offended you in some way, then I apologize.

I was just pointing out that you made a statement on the form of an absolute, and that statement was not correct. There are ways of doing it otherwise just not that you are willing to do, because of the way your game is run. There's nothing wrong with that, but it still remans that statement is not correct. biggrin.gif
Runner Smurf
Thanks for the ideas.

I've already been running with touch range and having the target be aware of the attempts to probe.

I also really like the idea of having it be excruciatingly painful to the target when they resist. And I'd pretty much assumed the legal implications of doing so involuntarily were pretty icky.

Sable and Dashifern: It's exactly because the gameworld doesn't reflect the implications of the spell that I bring the question up at all. The various books mention double-agents, deep cover moles, etc. without addressing how the existence of Mind Probes makes such operatives unfeasible. A corporation could easily afford to have their security mages make periodic probes of high-value personnel - kind of like random drug testing.

Maybe various intelligence agencies could give training in techniques to foil mind probes? Focusing on certain things to prevent the probe from digging up useful information, thinking about false information, etc. How about a skill, linked to Willpower, "Probe Resistance" that gives extra dice in resistance/deception tests against the force of the probe? Perhaps an edge (and a corresponding flaw) "Mental Resistance" that gives a +1 or +2 penalty to the probing mage?

- Runner Smurf
Nikoli
Time to go back to SR2 for this one. In the opening story (some of my fav. FASA writing btw). The mage used Mind Probe to quickly garner information from someone. His street Sam friend said somethign to the effect of why did you go and brain rape her. The way the young girl (the target of the probe) was described as reacting to the spell, it was painful even when not resisted, also disturbing, knowing that someone just invaded your mind and ransacked through every detail of your life for teh last 2 weeks. Nobody (but the offending mage) was very happy this happened. Using it too much can gain you some nasty in game repercussions, Hung out to dry anyone?

When ever someone uses a game resource like that, just think how real people (even the amoral ones that a lot of folks turn their runner into) would react when confronted with that.

In games I run, a Mind Probe can often become an FGE (funeral generating event) in short order.
sable twilight
There is also the headware memory/encryption thing that most data couriers have. Like out of the story Johnny Mnemonic.

Even today, most agencies would restrict information to what is necessary anyway. Simply because that most agencies recognize that torture is a very effective means of extracting information, and given enough torture by a skilled interrogator, it is very likely any person eventually crack. Mind Probe is just less physically invasive.

Be sure to enforce the +2 target number per additional attempt to use mind probe against the same target within a number of hours equal to the target's will power. Also remember that it takes 3 successes to be able to get more then just the target's surface thoughts (5 if searching for subconscious information). I would also not allow just a casual scan of the deeper conscious. The players would have to search for something specific to if they were doing something more then just surface thoughts. And open ended or vague searches are going to get pretty vague results.

Also, I don't think Mind Probe is admissible as evidence. So if a Johnson is looking for the team to acquire evidence, then the job is going to take more then just a mind probe. It might point the team in the right direction, but there is still a lot of legwork that will need to be done. Even find and eliminate jobs are going to require solid evidence so the Johnson can be assured that the team eliminated the correct target.

As for trying to infiltrate an agency, I see Mind Probe almost like an extension of psychological profiling. Yes, the more sensitive the position some one is aiming for, the more likely it will be used, but at the same time it does have some major limitations. Profiling without mind probe is more reliable, and again, you have "proof" (in the form of documentation and the recorded or written answers to the screening). Mind probe does not offer that proof.

All in all, Mind Probe is a great tool for finding out information like access codes, passwords, pieces of specific information, but when its limitations are kept in mind, I don't really see it as the plot killer that everyone thinks it is.

I guess I would need to see specific instances of what you were referring do to be able to give any offer any other real insight. You mention spies and moles, but how exactly would mind probe catch them? What exactly do you think the searcher would be looking for? Questions like, "Are you a spy?" could result in "I am a soldier working for the good of the people I serve" or, "Are you a traitor?" becomes "I am not a traitor as long as I do everything in my power to ensure the safety of those who depend on me." Questions that Mind Probe is good for are things like, "Where did you grow up?", "Where did you go to school?", "What did you study?", and "What did you do last Friday night?"
Nath
QUOTE (Runner Smurf @ Jan 30 2004, 07:41 PM)
Maybe various intelligence agencies could give training in techniques to foil mind probes?  Focusing on certain things to prevent the probe from digging up useful information, thinking about false information, etc.  How about a skill, linked to Willpower, "Probe Resistance" that gives extra dice in resistance/deception tests against the force of the probe?  Perhaps an edge (and a corresponding flaw) "Mental Resistance" that gives a +1 or +2 penalty to the probing mage?

Well, if you imagine the intelligence agencies only select the most suitable individuals for that kind of jobs and train them a lot. That would mean people with 6 or maybe exceptional Willpower attribute, eventually Magic Resistance edge (what you propose is a specialized version of this edge, so I guess it's not too unbalacing).

Or a specialized mage could be initiated, learning Masking and Protection, and throw something like 14 dice (Exceptional Willpower 7 + 7 dice from Magical Reserve), with a TN of 14 (Will 7 + Protection adding 1 per dice of reserve used) for the caster. The caster can easily find as much dice, but not increase so much the agent's TN (only the spell's power, and people able to cast power 14 spells ain't that common). You could use drugs and similar stuff, but not for routine check on every employee. Such a resilient character might even be a bit too much, but as a GM I'd allow a Mind Probe taret who beat the caster by a large margin to "lie" to requests made.
TheScamp
There's also the option that agencies will actually let/make their field agents believe false or misleading information. They may be led to believe that the mission they're on is to gain or transmit a certain kind of information for a specific purpose, when in actuality it's something different. They may even believe that they're working for a completely different side, and their arch rival corp/government is really their own; every time they think they're stealing info, they're actually transmitting it, or something.
Synner
Intelligence agencies and IntSec would also get into the habit of expanding on reliable old tactics. One trick that becomes particularly interesting in this scenario is one I've pulled before - having agencies and corps plant verifiable disinformation among their own agents. An untruth with just enough background grounding to convince the agent (and the person reading his mind). This means that random Mind Probes run the risk of turning up an outright lie that the agent doesn't even know is untrue. After that happens the first time runners will think twice before trying it again.

If you want to be really evil, agencies could go a step further and allow agents to know that some of the secure information they are privileged to is actually disinformation, though they won't tell them which is which - only their superior/controller knows. This means a runner doing a Mind Probe will find this out and have no way of knowing if the agent's knowledge is true or not. Even if he stumbles on something that is true, he'll doubt it.
Rev
Maybe they would come up with some cyberware that interfeers with mind probe and emotion/thought sensing spells, something vaguely like the IMS invoking false memories.

Also I suspect that a lot of spies would be magicians and physical adepts of fairly high grade so they could resist spells and mask thier aura's and even the auras of spells they are sustaining.

Perhaps in shadorun a mundane mole is simply a stupid idea.

Actually such a person would make a great NPC.

Recorded mental state inducer - RMSI.

An recorded mental state inducer puts its user's brain into a preset state by stimulating and supressing specific mental processes and memories based upon stored data. Usually the data is stored on a surgically implanted optical chip, but it could be routed from a chipjack, datajack, or headware memory allowing multiple stored states. The inducer does have the side effect of greatly reducing mental clarity while active, especially at higher levels. The mental state file is basically a recording of brain activity while in the desired state. Drugs, magic, and psychological conditioning are used to generate the unnatural state which is then recorded with the latest mind-mapping techniques.

0.5 essence, headware.

The RMSI is activated or deactivated with a complex action. It can be set to deactivate at a specific time, or through minor surgery. This is necessary if the induced mental state would prevent deactivation, for example if it did not include memory of the RMSI.

The RMSI is designed to avoid detection, double appropriate target numbers.

While active the user gains +2 willpower, but a +1T# modifier to all tasks and thier intelligence is reduced by half.

The RMSI requires a mental state file to operate. These files are specific to individuals, and decay slowly over time as the individual accretes new memories and thier brain changes. Creating a file requires a psycological conditioning test against the rating desired, medical scans, then another psycological condidtioning test against half the rating to reverse the conditioning. Reduce the rating by one after the first month, then every six months.

Any attempt to interrogate or influence the charachter should be rolled twice. First against the normal target numbers, then against the target numbers plus the mental state file rating. If the first test is sucessfull the attempt appears sucessfull, but only the recorded mental state is affected. If the second attempt is sucessfull both mental states are affected. Multiple answers may be given to single questions, the target may switch back and forth between their induced, and natural mental state.

Anyway this makes me want to make up a whole set of rules for psychological conditioning. smile.gif
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux @ Jan 30 2004, 05:08 PM)
I thought Mind Probe was always touch range?

Not that im any kind of authority on the subject, i always invisioned it in a vulcan mindmeld style (much like the story at the begining of SR2).

I would also let the victim know what kind of memories are being accessed.
Frag-o Delux
I just thought it would be to powerful if it was LOS, and mind you I am the player not the GM, so I put that limit on myself, our GM usually takes our word on things unless he thinks something is wrong with it. He did question me on it after I used it a few times, he thought it was line of sight and he wondered why I was always mad that I had to get that close to my victim. He tried to tell me it was LOS but I argued it was Touch, after I used it to ruin some of his plots he agreed it would be to powerful if it was LOS. Now he just tries to make sure the person I am looking to Probe is usually out of arms reach, so I probe the gardeners to find out where he'll be later so I can try them when they are out on the town or at least away from tight security. biggrin.gif
Rev
Even worse you might get some evil player with a copy of MITS making a touch version of Mind Probe.

Anyway according to the table in the back of MITS mind probe is touch range.
RedmondLarry
Standard Mind Probe is: The caster has to Touch the Subject. The Subject has a directional sense (mind probe) to a Target out to Detection Spell range (Force x Caster's Magic Attribute).

The idea of a GM-rule that the Subject must touch the Target is a good one.

Here are additional ideas: you could GM-rule that the spell has a Threshold, or some limit on the number of initiative passes the spell works (based on Force or Successes or how much Force exceeds Willpower), or some requirement that the spell be recast in order to change targets.

As it is now, a PC could cast it at Force 6 into a Sustaining Focus 6 and use it to "Detect" thoughts of anyone he directs it at all day.

/Edit: I assume that the existence of Mind Probe is one of the reasons that Corporations hire Shadowrunners instead of using their own employees for certain types of operations.
//Edit: I like the suggestion that the Target is aware of thoughts being pulled to the forefront of his conciousness. But I also like the idea that probing the security guard as he punches numbers into a keypad doesn't leave a clue that you've learned the numbers.
TheScamp
...or some requirement that the spell be recast in order to change targets.

Um, that's how it works now, unless I'm really reading the description incorrectly.
Rev
Ahh yes, touch the target, not the other target. silly.gif

Yea the spell says you have to choose the second target when you cast.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012