Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Magical Compounds
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Cheshyr
I attempted to ask this question in another thread, but it got lost in the invisibility discussion.

Magical Compounds are listed as being usable by Mundanes or Awakened (Street Magic p88). Most of them give Critter Powers. I cannot find a power rating for these compounds. Since critter powers are based on a critter's magic rating, does this mean a mundane is SoL? Or is there a clause somewhere I'm missing that specifies the power of the compound? The price listings for the Compounds don't specify a strength or rating either.

Any thoughts?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Cheshyr @ Oct 20 2009, 03:44 PM) *
I attempted to ask this question in another thread, but it got lost in the invisibility discussion.

Magical Compounds are listed as being usable by Mundanes or Awakened (Street Magic p88). Most of them give Critter Powers. I cannot find a power rating for these compounds. Since critter powers are based on a critter's magic rating, does this mean a mundane is SoL? Or is there a clause somewhere I'm missing that specifies the power of the compound? The price listings for the Compounds don't specify a strength or rating either.

Any thoughts?

If you notice the description of the Compounds, they are using a Character's Essenc rating instead of Magic Rating that is normally applied to Critters... Just go with the Essence Rating and you will be good for determination of how effective the compound is...

As for POWER of the compound, If I remmber correctly (I cannot seem to find the reference) any toxin or drug that has no Power Listed is assumed to be a 6, but I could be wrong... or you could just ignore power for those toxins/drugs/diseases that do not have one listed and always apply the effect, as there are very few such toxins/drugs/etc (Mostly only the Awakened drugs and magical compounds if I remember correctly) that are like that...

Keep the Faith
Cheshyr
I have noticed that the durations were Essence + 1d6 hours in every case. As for the power of the effect, sometimes it's pretty important. Spirit Strength is fairly explicit:

Spirit Strength
Duration: Essence + 1D6 hours, maximum 12 hours.
Effects: This compound grants the critter powers of Hardened Armor 5, Mystic Armor 5, and one enhanced sense of the gamemaster’s choice.

But in other cases, it's a bit less so:

Little Smoke
Duration: Essence + 1D6 hours, maximum 12 hours.
Effects: This mixture grants the Concealment and Confusion critter powers.

I have no idea how powerful these powers will be when activated, which is crucial for Concealment, and part of the resist roll for Confusion (The critter makes a Magic + Willpower Opposed Test versus the target’s Willpower. The nets hits scored by the critter serve as a dice pool modifier to any action the target takes. SR4A p293).

My intent was to purchase some of these for my mundane character. For most of them, the power is explicit in the description, like in Spirit Strength, or implied in the asscociated spell (Innate Spell (Animal Control) is based on charisma). So, if my 1.2 Essence Street Sam chugged a Little Smoke, and rolled a 2 on the 2d6 roll, how would you suggest it be handled?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Cheshyr @ Oct 20 2009, 07:50 PM) *
I have noticed that the durations were Essence + 1d6 hours in every case. As for the power of the effect, sometimes it's pretty important. Spirit Strength is fairly explicit:

But in other cases, it's a bit less so:

I have no idea how powerful these powers will be when activated, which is crucial for Concealment, and part of the resist roll for Confusion (The critter makes a Magic + Willpower Opposed Test versus the target’s Willpower. The nets hits scored by the critter serve as a dice pool modifier to any action the target takes. SR4A p293).

My intent was to purchase some of these for my mundane character. For most of them, the power is explicit in the description, like in Spirit Strength, or implied in the asscociated spell (Innate Spell (Animal Control) is based on charisma). So, if my 1.2 Essence Street Sam chugged a Little Smoke, and rolled a 2 on the 2d6 roll, how would you suggest it be handled?

As I said earlier, I would use Essence to determine the effect, rather than magic rating... you could also just use the stat in teh effect without the magic rating making it weaker for non-magical entities that use such things...
Works either way for me...

keep the faith
Cheshyr
So a character with less than 1 essence would receive no benenfit from these compounds, since their 'magic' rating would effectively be 0?
Marwynn
Hmm that's a good question. I'd used the 1d6 as the power actually.

The whole section is "optional" so I guess they're leaving it purposefully vague for the GM to determine. I can't see this as an unintentional oversight.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Cheshyr @ Oct 20 2009, 08:21 PM) *
So a character with less than 1 essence would receive no benenfit from these compounds, since their 'magic' rating would effectively be 0?

Or just use the Stat with no adjustment at all...
There are plenty of options, just use the one you like best...

Keep the Faith
Cheshyr
Concealment power has no associated stat at all, which is what's bothering me. It's entirely dependent on the magic power of the caster. Since there's no raitng listed, I'm left with a dead end for that specific compound, which was the one I was most interested in. Sorry for being so persistent, but I'm looking for an outside opinion one way or the other, since my GM is going to ask if I try to introduce this to the game. Since it appears noone knows where to find the answer in the books, it's probbaly a GM discretion, and I should just ask him.
Muspellsheimr
Actually, compounds do not grant a "virtual" Magic rating to mundanes.

This means that while a mundane can use any magical compound, they retain a Magic of 0. Thus, many of the compounds, while usable, grant no actual benefit to someone without a Magic attribute.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Cheshyr @ Oct 20 2009, 08:31 PM) *
Concealment power has no associated stat at all, which is what's bothering me. It's entirely dependent on the magic power of the caster. Since there's no raitng listed, I'm left with a dead end for that specific compound, which was the one I was most interested in. Sorry for being so persistent, but I'm looking for an outside opinion one way or the other, since my GM is going to ask if I try to introduce this to the game. Since it appears noone knows where to find the answer in the books, it's probbaly a GM discretion, and I should just ask him.

Ahhhhh... Gotcha...

Yeah, with Little Smoke, you have run into a problem...

I would actually place it at the Power level of magic of the Alchemist making the drug (Power + Magic Rating of Alchemist)... maybe scale the cost against the typical range of Ability with 3 (magic Rating of 3) being the baseline...

This would be interesting in that you could do that with all of the magical compounds, and have a very interesting commodity for the marketplace...

Just a thought...
The Monk
Don't know if this would help you but the way I do it in my game is that each hit above the four needed in the Enchanting+Magic (4) test adds one to the strength of the compound (which starts at one). I also give this bonus to the duration roll with the max still at 12 hours.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012