Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vehicle house rules
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Neowulf
I'm working on some expanded vehicle rules, since we currently lack and will probably never get a rigger book.
I've got the rules for designing vehicles from scratch the way I like them (basically a LONG project IC, but gives 4x the slots to use for mods), but giving vehicles gas tanks and economies is a bit frustrating.

Where it says 6 hours of operational time, do you guys consider it fair to say 6 hours at half max speed, or at top speed?
I need to figure a good conversion for each vehicle to find it's range in km, so I can determine tank and battery sizes.

Also, I'm going to use PF for units of battery power, what would be a good conversion for the amount of PF in 1 liter of gas? 1:1, 2:1, 10:1? Currently looking at 20pf to 1L.
The higher the ratio the larger the value of batteries a bigger vehicle will have, but the smaller the ratio the more likely fractions of PFs will come into play when dealing with drones...
Hero
Well, I usually winged it in SR3 about economies because.. well it was just off there too. I tended to use common sense(Well common sense is different between most people, but anyways...) and say a compact can get a good 400 miles to the tank. I have a Honda Fit(Honda Jazz for those in the EU and Japan) and god does that thing have good gas mileage even when cruising at a good 85mph, and this is a from a tank that has a little more then 10 gallon capacity. Even most sports cars can get around at least 250(15-17 gallon fuel tank) miles to a tank with a slightly heavy foot, 300 miles if you are smart about shifts and just how much throttle you give. This was with a Evo IX MR too, not exactly a economic car with a turbo and AWD. Unless its a Supercar like a F430, Ford GT or Kosseggia CXX you are going to get somewhere about 15mpg usually, or even 20 with the new vett.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Hero @ Oct 29 2009, 03:34 PM) *
Well, I usually winged it in SR3 about economies because.. well it was just off there too. I tended to use common sense(Well common sense is different between most people, but anyways...) and say a compact can get a good 400 miles to the tank. I have a Honda Fit(Honda Jazz for those in the EU and Japan) and god does that thing have good gas mileage even when cruising at a good 85mph, and this is a from a tank that has a little more then 10 gallon capacity. Even most sports cars can get around at least 250(15-17 gallon fuel tank) miles to a tank with a slightly heavy foot, 300 miles if you are smart about shifts and just how much throttle you give. This was with a Evo IX MR too, not exactly a economic car with a turbo and AWD. Unless its a Supercar like a F430, Ford GT or Kosseggia CXX you are going to get somewhere about 15mpg usually, or even 20 with the new vett.

Don't forget the 230 MPG for the new Chevy Volt... (I will believe it when I see it but that was the news release... don't actually know the capacity of the gas tank)

We will see when it actually hits mass production (IF Ever)

Keep the Faith

Neowulf
I guess I should stop trying to get a formula working to convert them, and just do each vehicle one by one.

If anyone is interested, I've linked the googledocs I've been working on for this.
Please know I'm a terrible writer, and the game mechanics are all I was really going for here.

Under the hood info: http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0ARVA8MdT...yMmM5&hl=en
Expanded design rules: http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0ARVA8MdT...mdDk5&hl=en
Modification list with changes: http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0ARVA8MdT...0OGY5&hl=en
Hero
The Chevy Volt gets 230mpg on the bat which are only good for about 40 miles from chevy's own figures which is oddly the same as a Toyota prius, and I wont start on hrbrid's other then they are a waste of money and you can get the same mileage from a 1990 Honda Civic.. To finish that of, what I mean is Hybrid are useless until you start getting to things the size of semi's and buses.

Just use common sense when figuring out what fuel and range figures are. A sports car in 2050 and up would be at least 25 mpg since its a sports car and sport cars don't like to run lean. You can only take way so much fuel until it becomes so lean it does not burn when sparked. And as for the econo boxes, those will probably get 50mpg average. 60 at most for the smaller cars(K-car sized). Took a bit of auto shop in high school and lots of book reading so I have a decent idea of how things will improve in the near future, can only take away so much fuel before you start to impact operation of the engine. I cant say much about fuel cell cars since that's something is relatively recent in the automotive world(Recent for automobiles is like 10 years usually).

So a mid-range sports car with a 15 gallon tank(Evo IX) should about 375 miles to a fill up, unless modified to hell. You dont loss much until you get past the 60bph increase point and then it gets sever up toward the 100+bph range.

Econo Boxes would be about 10 gallon tank and that would get close to 550-600 if you feather the throttle and piss off people on the freeway by doing 45mph. The larger ones should be good for 400 to 450 for the larger 4 door sedans.

Diesels are another story, they would give a huge boost in mileage and performance. And if you think Diesel cant be fast, just look up Audi and the R10 TDI race car. As for econo boxes, those can reach a good 80mpg if you decide not to get anywhere on time. But average driving should get about 50mpg with usual driving habits. Diesel sports cars and GT cars should net 35mpg.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Hero @ Oct 29 2009, 10:16 PM) *
The Chevy Volt gets 230mpg on the bat which are only good for about 40 miles from chevy's own figures which is oddly the same as a Toyota prius, and I wont start on hrbrid's other then they are a waste of money and you can get the same mileage from a 1990 Honda Civic.. To finish that of, what I mean is Hybrid are useless until you start getting to things the size of semi's and buses.

Just use common sense when figuring out what fuel and range figures are. A sports car in 2050 and up would be at least 25 mpg since its a sports car and sport cars don't like to run lean. You can only take way so much fuel until it becomes so lean it does not burn when sparked. And as for the econo boxes, those will probably get 50mpg average. 60 at most for the smaller cars(K-car sized). Took a bit of auto shop in high school and lots of book reading so I have a decent idea of how things will improve in the near future, can only take away so much fuel before you start to impact operation of the engine. I cant say much about fuel cell cars since that's something is relatively recent in the automotive world(Recent for automobiles is like 10 years usually).

So a mid-range sports car with a 15 gallon tank(Evo IX) should about 375 miles to a fill up, unless modified to hell. You dont loss much until you get past the 60bph increase point and then it gets sever up toward the 100+bph range.

Econo Boxes would be about 10 gallon tank and that would get close to 550-600 if you feather the throttle and piss off people on the freeway by doing 45mph. The larger ones should be good for 400 to 450 for the larger 4 door sedans.

Diesels are another story, they would give a huge boost in mileage and performance. And if you think Diesel cant be fast, just look up Audi and the R10 TDI race car. As for econo boxes, those can reach a good 80mpg if you decide not to get anywhere on time. But average driving should get about 50mpg with usual driving habits. Diesel sports cars and GT cars should net 35mpg.

I don't know, Hybrids are very useful, if you never travel more than 20-30 miles a day in your vehicle (like I do)... at that point they are very efficient... Though I do agree with you that for the price, they are indeed a little off... My Truck gets 30 miles to the gallon in town (Chevy S-10, Standard, 4 Banger)... and my Mazda got almost 45 MPG... both made in the 1990's...

The technology exists to provide such things, however, it is not economical to change over as the prices for said technology are still to exorbitant for the common man... until it reaches a reasonable level (and the lobby's for the Oil Industry are broken), this technology will not flourish...

Keep the Faith
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012