Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Implanted commlinks: Location and accessories?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Hagga
Something that came up in our last session - can you implant 'links with accessories, such as a simrig? Or is that something that has to go in separately for the extra essence? And where's it located? (So when a technomancer blows it up, we know which part of the body catches fire.)
Chrysalis
usually a commlink is located in the head, but for all I know it lies on the outer part of the skull. I didn't know commlinks were explosive. What causes the explosion?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Chrysalis @ Oct 31 2009, 07:05 PM) *
usually a commlink is located in the head, but for all I know it lies on the outer part of the skull. I didn't know commlinks were explosive. What causes the explosion?

He was being Metaphorical I think... as Comlinks do not explode...

Keep the Faith
Hagga
Technomancer Echo, "Sparky".
Traul
As any headware with Capacity, you can also have it stored in a cyberlimb.
kanislatrans
darn, and here I wanted one implanted somewhere else so I could tell the cute elvish razorgrrl that she had " A call from Mr. Johnson" grinbig.gif grinbig.gif
KCKitsune
QUOTE (kanislatrans @ Oct 31 2009, 11:00 PM) *
darn, and here I wanted one implanted somewhere else so I could tell the cute elvish razorgrrl that she had " A call from Mr. Johnson" grinbig.gif grinbig.gif

:rimshot:

That was bad kanislatrans... just awful. dead.gif ... biggrin.gif
Ed_209a
QUOTE (Chrysalis @ Oct 31 2009, 09:05 PM) *
usually a commlink is located in the head

The neural interface would be in the head of course, and any external interfaces might be on your head for convenience. I know of no logical reason why a commlink would have to be implanted in the head, rather than in a much less critical area, and then connected by a short length of fiber. Brain tissue is so slow that we could not notice the difference between a few cm of fiber (.5 nanosecond round trip) and a meter of fiber(6.6 nanoseconds round trip).
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Hagga @ Oct 31 2009, 08:31 PM) *
Technomancer Echo, "Sparky".

Please note that your description of exploding and burning is a very edge case, applicable only when the GM says so... so obviously it is not the norm... The norm is that it (the device) sufferes degradation to its response rating (if it actually loses the opposed test that is, and a Technomancers Response vs. Willpower is generally less than a Professional Shadowrunners System + Firewall (as an example. the comlink that I use for my Hacker would give me 15 Dice, which I know is also an edge case, teh average would be 11-12))... once the node reaches a rating of Response 0, then the node crashes, and reboots...

Also, I don't know about you, but I always apply Hardening to my Internal Comlink (Hell, to all my electronics actually) to avoid just such a circumstance...

Keep the Faith
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012