Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: piloting for guns
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Red-ROM
I started another thread about underbarrel weapons with piloting, but it didn't seem to get a lot of attention. Turning your gun into a drone seemed cool, but nobody seems to do it. Is it a waste of resources? Does anyone understand how it would work? I mean, what can they do? especialy if they can't move on their own. is it practical to put a pilot in an assault cannon you don't have the skill for, and just point it at the target and yell "shoot!" .
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Nov 2 2009, 08:31 PM) *
I started another thread about underbarrel weapons with piloting, but it didn't seem to get a lot of attention. Turning your gun into a drone seemed cool, but nobody seems to do it. Is it a waste of resources? Does anyone understand how it would work? I mean, what can they do? especialy if they can't move on their own. is it practical to put a pilot in an assault cannon you don't have the skill for, and just point it at the target and yell "shoot!" .

We do not do it... Seems kind of Cornball to me...

Keep the Faith
Traul
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Nov 3 2009, 04:31 AM) *
is it practical to put a pilot in an assault cannon you don't have the skill for, and just point it at the target and yell "shoot!" .

You don't need a Pilot for that. A smartlink is enough. The pilot would decide to shoot by himself. But I think Pilots are mostly made to be combined with moving ability, so your weapon will always have the reflex to get back to you if you drop it.

Hey, you can make a Thor Hammer with that cyber.gif
AngelisStorm
Mace (Reach 1, Str/2+3P, AP -, 120Y)

Custom Look - Level 2: 1 slot, 1,000Y
Personalized Grip: 1 slot, 100Y
Propulsion System - Flight: 8 slots, 20,000Y

Total: 21, 220Y (and the potential loophole that Vehicles and Firearms have listed slot maximums)

Though, given it's not even remotely broken, your friendly neighborhood GM with a sense of humor should love it.

rotfl.gif
Red-ROM
QUOTE (AngelisStorm @ Nov 2 2009, 10:55 PM) *
Mace (Reach 1, Str/2+3P, AP -, 120Y)

Custom Look - Level 2: 1 slot, 1,000Y
Personalized Grip: 1 slot, 100Y
Propulsion System - Flight: 8 slots, 20,000Y

Total: 21, 220Y (and the potential loophole that Vehicles and Firearms have listed slot maximums)

Though, given it's not even remotely broken, your friendly neighborhood GM with a sense of humor should love it.

rotfl.gif

I did find it odd that the flying system was 8 slots, and a weapon only has six. its like they really didn't want anybody using it.
Traul
It does make sense when you read the section about overmodification: modifications above the 6 slots require GM approval, are cumbersome and might impose all penalties.

Flying mode is cumbersome and imposes a -1 modifier when using the weapon.
Godwyn
I have not added a pilot to a gun. However, I have put a pilot and targetting autosoft in a cyberarm to use weapons that I have no skill for. smile.gif
Which takes up no capacity on a weapon, nor does it even require much modification to a cyberlimb, except to boost the system a bit to run a higher rating pilot.
Red-ROM
QUOTE (Godwyn @ Nov 3 2009, 07:00 PM) *
I have not added a pilot to a gun. However, I have put a pilot and targetting autosoft in a cyberarm to use weapons that I have no skill for. smile.gif
Which takes up no capacity on a weapon, nor does it even require much modification to a cyberlimb, except to boost the system a bit to run a higher rating pilot.

so the pilot has access to run your cyber arm? thats a cool thought. I was hoping to have a pilot operate an underbarrel weapon while I fired the assault rifle. which seems resonable for a flame thrower or suppressive fire, but it gets fuzzy for aquiring specific targets
Godwyn
You would have to turret mount it so it could swivel independently of where you are aiming the main weapon, which could technically work. Whole purpose of the pilot and targeting programs are so that it is able to select targets, just like a drone. Add in safety measures from arsenal like the biometric scanner so that it cannot fire at allies, and all is set.

My allies already told me if my arm gets hacked and I shoot them, they will return fire. . .but hey! It happens smile.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Godwyn @ Nov 3 2009, 07:07 PM) *
My allies already told me if my arm gets hacked and I shoot them, they will return fire. . .but hey! It happens smile.gif

As they should...

Keep the Faith
Kumo
You can shoot the gun remotely with smartlink, but it cannot move; so it's useful only if the target stands in front of the barrel, or as a decoy. Pilot can only decide to shoot without your order, but it probably also need Targeting (especially if gun is able to move somehow). And Pilot isn't brillant... it could fire a gun when you want to sneak somewhere, for example.

I'm not sure if this is a good idea... You changed cyberarm into some kind of drone, which acts indepedently from You!
Platinum
QUOTE (Godwyn @ Nov 3 2009, 09:07 PM) *
You would have to turret mount it so it could swivel independently of where you are aiming the main weapon, which could technically work. Whole purpose of the pilot and targeting programs are so that it is able to select targets, just like a drone. Add in safety measures from arsenal like the biometric scanner so that it cannot fire at allies, and all is set.

So does this mean that if you have a cyber torso with two weapon mounts with drone pilots, running via skin link, that you can essentially fire 5-6 times at different targets in an IP?
Kumo
QUOTE (Platinum @ Nov 4 2009, 07:12 PM) *
So does this mean that if you have a cyber torso with two weapon mounts with drone pilots, running via skin link, that you can essentially fire 5-6 times at different targets in an IP?

Interesting idea. But that means you are a half-drone. Everything controlled by Pilot acts indepedently from you, if you are not rigging your own body... wobble.gif I'd give penalties for Pilot and PC, because they could interfere each other actions.

BTW: One cannot have 4 functional cyberarms, but 2 of them could be "drones".
Traul
On the second thought, the idea of a Pilot controlling the underbarrel weapon might not be manageable: the random firing will screw your own shooting. Firing the underbarrel and main weapons simultaneously is already considered as dual wielding. When you don't even know when the underbarrel gun will fire, it should get worse. The gun owner should at least split his dice pool as if he was dual wielding, and probably make a check not to drop the gun too.
Neowulf
Couple uses for pilot that I can think of, though haven't seen anyone try in game yet.

Runners got a small group comming after them. Odds aren't as favorably stacked as they'd like, so a Juryrigger scavenges a couple servos, some duct tape, and a small battery, and fashions a make shift turret mount for his gun that'll last long enough to get through the fight. Now they've got an extra couple of attacks.

Gun with pilot on a vehicle turret gets it's own set of actions to use. Stick as many as you can on a large vehicle and have a cluster drone.
Large drone or motorcycle with 2 turrets and a jammer. Turrets fire with their own pilots, while the main drone pilot manuvers and provides EW as needed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012