Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Making extended tests with contacts?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
eXi
Hi,

I've noticed an annoying problem when players have wanted to make an extended tests with their contacts to an information that would require 12 points with an interval of 1 hour.

The problem is that it could take over 6 hours to get the information and the storyline can't really handle that kind of delay. What would the players do in the mean time when their only source for this information is the contact at this stage of the adventure and they really don't have anything else to go on with?

Any suggestions how should I play this legwork so that the storyline would not get a hit while they dig up the information this way?
Traul
What's your problem with that? If they don't have anything else to do in the meantime, just have the 6 hours pass in game. If they can't afford to wait 6 hours, then they will have to run on the fly: the sammy has to get his fun too wink.gif They always have the choice to turn the job down if they are not comfortable with improvisation.

If the information they are looking for is crucial and they do not have time to get it, there is something wrong with your plot.
Backgammon
QUOTE (eXi @ Nov 3 2009, 04:44 PM) *
Hi,

I've noticed an annoying problem when players have wanted to make an extended tests with their contacts to an information that would require 12 points with an interval of 1 hour.

The problem is that it could take over 6 hours to get the information and the storyline can't really handle that kind of delay. What would the players do in the mean time when their only source for this information is the contact at this stage of the adventure and they really don't have anything else to go on with?

Any suggestions how should I play this legwork so that the storyline would not get a hit while they dig up the information this way?

You're the GM. It takes exactly as long as you say it does. The dice are your bitch, not the other way around.

If you want to offset the "gee isn't that conveniant" effect, have the Contact tell the runner he happens to know the info (or know someone that does), but it'll cost them a favour. That can be the next run the players do, with reduced or no pay because they are paying back a marker.
Nexushound
Oi Chummer,

Backgammon got it right. This is a roleplaying oportunity. Owing a contact can make for a good run. And the comment about Dice and Bitches is dead on as well. Do what you have to to keep things rolling, pun intended, and as always you are ultimatley in charge and can do what you want/need.
eXi
Thanks for the advices comrades. It may very well be that my adventure needs some rethinking. I've lead only few adventures with shadowrun and I'm not yet all that familiar with the opportunities that it offers for me to play out. Then again a good gm should always come up with more than plenty of ins and outs for this kind of situation as you said about the favors. I should try to concentrate more on the flow of the game and true roleplaying, not the dice as they tend to rule my own world smile.gif

It just takes time to learn how to avoid the most obvious "gee isn't that convenient" effects that Backgammon talked about.
I don't want the plot to feel like you were going on rails for the players but sometimes more than just a gentle push is in order.
Ascalaphus
Do the PCs know they don't have that much time? Do they really need that information?

* If they know the limit and don't need to have the information, let the contact tell them how long it'll take; they'll connect the dots and maybe try to do without.

* If they know the limit and need the information, you have a plot hole. Move up your contact's speed.

* If they don't know the limit, and need the information, you have a plot hole. Change the time limit.

* If they don't know the limit, and don't need the information, can you let them find out about the time limit? Otherwise the PCs will screw up without fair chance.

Time limits are very useful to prevent the players from making things too easy on themselves by overpreparing. But you need to communicate to them that the limit exists:
* Mr. Johnson told them of the limit
* A contact/news story warns them that circumstances will change for the worse in the near future
* They find out by some Matrix scam or consulting a Divining spirit/metamagic that there's something that will happen

Consider the source of the time limit: do you have some specific plan of things that will happen that the PCs need to figure out/apply to do the run?

I think the preferable approach is to determine what Mr. Johnson wants, and where it is, and what constraints (time, witnesses etc.) exist. Determine reasonable defenses for the target and complications, and let the PCs think up their own plan. Leave vulnerabilities in the base due to security budget reasons or human incompetence, but don't try to plan how the PCs will do the job - they'll usually think of another way that you'd never think of yourself.
Ayeohx
Have the NPC hint that an expense account may grease the wheels. Then for every 100 nuyen or whatever is appropriate give the contact an extra die. Think of it as a way for the NPC to cover his bribes and such.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012