Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Targeting around corners with a smartgun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
XON2000
The description of the Smartgun System says "The camera allows for targeted shooting around corners, without exposing oneself to return fire." Does this imply that the shooter would not suffer a penalty in this case? If so, I can't think of a reason not to do this, and it seems like all firefights would turn into a bunch of people hiding behind cover, shooting around the corner at each other. Obviously, in this situation, someone would have to leave their hiding place to break the stalemate, but in any case, the ability to shoot without penalty and without exposing yourself to return fire seems kind of over-powered.

Has this come up for anyone else? How do you handle it?
Backgammon
I would definately apply the standard penalties for shooting behind cover. You may be able to see and shoot around the corner, but your posture is all wrong. That's going to cramp your style for sure.
djinni
depending on the "corner you are shooting around" its not that hard, but with the abstract nature of the game, the simple -1 modifier makes things easy enough to understand. the smartgun link corrects your aim for "bad posture." so nothing more is needed
Neowulf
A guncam would provide a different field of view, one that's not intuitive for someone who's trained for normal firing. The field of view is different and doesn't shift as quickly as eyes do.
Also, as others have mentioned here and in other threads, you don't brace yourself properly for firing when your arm is stretched around a corner.

At the least I would impose a penalty similar to using image magnification, require them to spent a simple action on taking aim without any bonuses from it. This would represent finding the target with the more limited and detached field of view.
Doubling recoil penalties is a good idea too. Require strength checks (against the uncompensated recoil) to see if they can keep it under control well enough to fire properly, with failure meaning they have to spend an action readying their weapon again, and on a critical they drop it completely.

If the enemy does score a hit on them, apply only the relevant armor for the exposed bodypart and cripple the hand if enough damage is done, but limit the damage that can be done (can't do much more to someone than blowing a hand off..).
Trench
Uncompensated recoil? I think that in cases where recoil is to be doubled, it should be doubled before the reduction. Otherwise its too easy to have full auto with no recoil at all, maximum effect with nothing left over to double.

I know the book plainly says different, but the idea behind the rule is to tone down powergamers, and they all have gasvent 3s.
Traul
Been there, done that.

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?act=...lite=%2Bcorners
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (XON2000 @ Nov 5 2009, 09:01 PM) *
If so, I can't think of a reason not to do this, and it seems like all firefights would turn into a bunch of people hiding behind cover, shooting around the corner at each other.

Until somebody brings along an UWBR sensor and a Thunderstruck gauss rifle.

Then it would turn into a bunch of people getting shot through cover. nyahnyah.gif
Sixgun_Sage
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Nov 7 2009, 06:17 AM) *
Until somebody brings along an UWBR sensor and a Thunderstruck gauss rifle.

Then it would turn into a bunch of people getting shot through cover. nyahnyah.gif

Or a grenade, Remember, while you bastards are hiding, I just can chuck mr. boom-boom behind your defenses and he is NOT your friend.
KarmaInferno
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=28575

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012