Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drakes and Cyberlimbs
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Stahlseele
OK, so let's say we have a Character who has a Cyberarm or Cyberleg or even partial Limb in his Metahuman form.
What happens when he changes into his Drake form?
Ancient History
Is interesting hypothetical question.
[ Spoiler ]
Ol' Scratch
It's just like the Shapechange spell. The implant is paid for with Essence, which is the developers' super catch-all-get-out-of-jail-free bullshit card. If you can accept shapechanging magic, you just accept shapechanging implants since its all part of the target. Unless the developers come up with some stupid spell that totally throws that to the wind, like the idiotic Turn to Goo spell.

Translation: Handwavium.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Nov 7 2009, 09:19 PM) *
Is interesting hypothetical question.
[ Spoiler ]

For Shapeshifters, this is easy enough, as they have Regeneration in Metahuman form. Something which, to my limited knowledge, is not true for Drakes...
QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Nov 7 2009, 09:30 PM) *
It's just like the Shapechange spell. The implant is paid for with Essence, which is the developers' super catch-all-get-out-of-jail-free bullshit card. If you can accept shapechanging magic, you just accept shapechanging implants since its all part of the target. Unless the developers come up with some stupid spell that totally throws that to the wind, like the idiotic Turn to Goo spell.

Translation: Handwavium.

I was afraid of that <.<
Draco18s
Cyber for a drake only works in the metahuman form. The handwavium is that it is "absorbed" into the body and rendered non-functional (eg non-existent) when the drake changes forms.

It would be silly to assume that every lost hunk of meat would effect both forms, or you'd waste 60 BP if you went out and got wired reflexes, or god forbid a cerebral booster. "Oh, I'm sorry, your dracoform doesn't have nerves anymore. You can lie there and I'll look up the rules on suffocation. Wait, didn't you replace your brain with a better bioware version? I'm sorry, you die. Instantly."
Saint Sithney
You could always think of it Shazam style. Billy Batson doesn't turn into Captain Marvel so much as switch places with him. So, the Dracoform exists on another layer of reality and it just switches places with the man.
WhiskeyMac
Well, pg. 75 of the Runner's Companion says:
Augmentations
Drakes can accept any augmentation, but only in their human form. These implants do not carry over to their dracoform, but aren’t expelled by the body—they simply disappear and their bonuses are not available while the character is in dracoform. There is no known augmentation currently available for dracoforms.

So I'm thinking that it just wouldn't work while the Drake is in dracoform, i.e. being replaced by the dracoform's leg/arm/hand/foot or if you like a dracoform leg/arm/hand/foot with a metallic sheen to it.
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Nov 7 2009, 05:07 PM) *
OK, so let's say we have a Character who has a Cyberarm or Cyberleg or even partial Limb in his Metahuman form.
What happens when he changes into his Drake form?

Penny Arcade already answered that for you.
Ravor
Meh, simply saying "It's Magic" without any backing logic and expecting it to carry water is a cope out for the weak.
Ol' Scratch
Eh. It works just fine by the standard "paid for essence" in-game rule. The magic used to transform the drake is independent of any augmentations, just like it doesn't necessarily carry over tattoos, hair color, or anything else that's an integral part of the drake's humanoid form. Since it was paid for with essence, the magic can't distinguish it from his natural flesh. However, the process turns him into something new, so such artificial-but-paid-for augmentations are ignored stat-wise for whatever reason.

It's other spells and abilities, such as the aforementioned Turn to Goo, that break the in-game rules and logic.
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Ravor @ Nov 8 2009, 02:18 PM) *
Meh, simply saying "It's Magic" without any backing logic and expecting it to carry water is a cope out for the weak.

Thank you, you just killed yhe joke... ohplease.gif
LurkerOutThere
It's wasn't a very good joke to begin with to be fair. Personally I'm pretty draconian (heh) and would say that the cyberware is violently rejected by their body when they tranform. Arn't drakes required to have deltaware or is that just shifters? I do understand that the above view is not canon, but I think there should be a price of power.
Ravor
I let the stupid joke slide in the other thread where it appeared and but it lost enough of its polish that I couldn't let it go a second time.
Draco18s
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Nov 8 2009, 05:18 PM) *
It's wasn't a very good joke to begin with to be fair. Personally I'm pretty draconian (heh) and would say that the cyberware is violently rejected by their body when they tranform.

But Drakes don't regenerate, at all. Not even in dracoform. They aren't growing new flesh, per say, they're transforming. How cyberware "transforms" into drake-flesh is a question that can't be answered. Deal with it.

Forcing drakes to need deltaware takes an already weakened character concept (anything you can do as a drake you can do better as a troll) and making them spend more BP on better 'ware (and I'd like to point out that drakes shouldn't be getting 'ware in the first place, they should be augmenting their abilities with magic either as spells or Adept powers).
Stahlseele
anything you can do as a drake you can do better as a troll

Flying? O.o
TeknoDragon
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Nov 8 2009, 08:30 PM) *
Flying? O.o

Briefly. Then comes the sudden stop at street level...
Doc Byte
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Nov 8 2009, 11:18 PM) *
It's wasn't a very good joke to begin with to be fair. Personally I'm pretty draconian (heh) and would say that the cyberware is violently rejected by their body when they tranform. Arn't drakes required to have deltaware or is that just shifters? I do understand that the above view is not canon, but I think there should be a price of power.

What power? If my cyber-mage-latent-drake should ever awake, he'll be much weaker as a drake than as a human. He'll lose most of his cyber-enhanced senses to begin with. (Including internal Comlink and GPS.) The drake form even loses two points of agility. Not speaking of his other bio- and genware. And I don't know if natural weapons and elemantal (sound) attack outmatch a weaponfocus (3) cyberspur and a light cybergun with s-n-s ammo. - Well, of course he'll be able to breath water. grinbig.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Nov 8 2009, 08:30 PM) *
Flying? O.o

Because as we all know flying is oh so important. You want a flying troll? SURGE. It'll cost you fewer BP than becoming a drake.
My last (and first) drake character never went into his dracoform. I was saving it for a special occasion which never came up.

The other problem is that in dracoform you don't have any armor. Even with 4 points (!!!) of adept power points invested, you still only rise to a meager 12/12 armor (unclear if its 4/4 hardened + 8/8 normal* or 12/12 hardened). Total cost: 90 BP. I should note that if you want your drake to have more than 1 initiative pass in both forms you have to spend the 2/3/5 power points doing it (or whatever the new costs are), which raises your total BP expenditure to 110 (magic 6: 2 init passes, 12/12 armor or 3 passes and 10/10 armor).

90 BP invested into a base troll (aside from stats, as we can assume you spend the full 200 stat BP on both characters; the troll still comes out ahead where it matters: body, agility, and reaction) goes so much farther than 12/12 armor (full body armor with a helmet gets you a total of 12/10 for 2 BP, add cyber for armored limbs + initiative passes, costing far far less than 88 BP).

*Not to mention how that works against damage. Obviously 3 damage bounces off and 13 does physical, but does 5 deal stun? What about 9 damage?
One's even magical in nature that effectively exists above the drake's scales. Do we scale the damage down rolling 8 dice, then compare the remainder against the 4/4 hardened (and roll 4 more dice, if necessary)? Or do we compare the damage against 4 and 8 or 4 and 12? (none, stun, physical)
Ravor
Draco18s although personally I'm not sure that I agree with the bullshit about cyber becoming inactive in Drakeform, we know exactly why cyber transforms along with any shapehifting magic so it's not a mystery or anything.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Ravor @ Nov 8 2009, 11:31 PM) *
Draco18s although personally I'm not sure that I agree with the bullshit about cyber becoming inactive in Drakeform, we know exactly why cyber transforms along with any shapehifting magic so it's not a mystery or anything.

I'm taking this as slightly hostile, but I don't think that was intended.
First off, I never said I agreed with it either.
Second, I never said we didn't know why, I said we don't know how (where does the chrome go? It obviously goes somewhere or is transmuted into something else, etc.). Mechanics, not rationalization (the chrome disappears for game balance reasons,* even though such a limitation is actually a detriment).

*And possibly the "no one knows how to put cyber in a dragon"** thing.
**Except Haesslich, who only ever got a datajack, and whom I miss.
Stahlseele
Haesslich?
Not eliohan?
The Cyberdragon in Wales?
Transys Neuronet?
Draco18s
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Nov 9 2009, 09:21 AM) *
Haesslich?
Not eliohan?
The Cyberdragon in Wales?
Transys Neuronet?

My mistake, I remember Haesslich's name*, but liked Eliohann (2 N's) for the cyber.
Whee, I get confused sometimes.

*Probably because I wrote his wiki entry after reading Never Deal with a Dragon.
Tachi
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Nov 9 2009, 08:30 AM) *
My mistake, I remember Haesslich's name*, but liked Eliohann (2 N's) for the cyber.
Whee, I get confused sometimes.

*Probably because I wrote his wiki entry after reading Never Deal with a Dragon.

Didn't Eliohan(SP?) have some 'issues' because of that Datajack? I remember that he did, but, I can't remember what those issues were.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Tachi @ Nov 9 2009, 09:37 AM) *
Didn't Eliohan(SP?) have some 'issues' because of that Datajack? I remember that he did, but, I can't remember what those issues were.

Listed as split personality disorder. He went nucking futs when he experienced simsense.

IIRC, there was a campaign associated with it, but I didn't read most of it, the intro indicated that he didn't even remember his own name. He also had ADD on steroids (would stop talking to the PCs in the middle of sentences to watch one of his half dozen TVs).
Tachi
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Nov 9 2009, 09:07 AM) *
Listed as split personality disorder. He went nucking futs when he experienced simsense.

IIRC, there was a campaign associated with it, but I didn't read most of it, the intro indicated that he didn't even remember his own name. He also had ADD on steroids (would stop talking to the PCs in the middle of sentences to watch one of his half dozen TVs).

Wow, note to self: Dual natured creatures in the Matrix = Bad ThingsTM.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Tachi @ Nov 9 2009, 10:12 AM) *
Wow, note to self: Dual natured creatures in the Matrix = Bad ThingsTM.

Ah found it (at the expensse of about 15 minutes pof sleep)_

It
's called Dragon Hunt and was publioshed in 1991 by FASA.

Appologies for bad typing, but I'm shaking pretty bad: I think it means I need to sleep/
Ravor
Ok, I wasn't even remotely hostile before but I am slightly peeved now because we have enough of a fucking framework to figure out the how as well because we know why cyber acts in the manner which it does.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Ravor @ Nov 9 2009, 11:33 AM) *
Ok, I wasn't even remotely hostile before but I am slightly peeved now because we have enough of a fucking framework to figure out the how as well because we know why cyber acts in the manner which it does.

Last I checked, shapshifting magic making cyber go bye bye isn't a "why cyber acts in the manner in which it does" but a "why MAGIC acts..."

I also said I hadn't thought your post was hostile, but only said it felt that way, and attempted to rely in a non-defensive and non-hostile manner.
Ancient History
Hey, given my druthers the Shapechange spell would both conserve mass and cyber. By glad I am not given my druthers. No one wants to be a deer with a human cyberskull.
Tachi
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Nov 9 2009, 09:36 PM) *
No one wants to be a deer with a human cyberskull.

Don't be to sure of that Ancient, my games can occasionally be very... odd.
Think chipmunks with internal holdout cyberguns, live house cats as weapons, and free spirits named Francis who need who need 200 left index fingers for tomorrow night's hor dourves, not to mention a gallon of horseradish to compliment the 'sasabonsam salsa'.

*Sometimes wishes someone would invent brain-floss.*
Doc Byte
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Nov 9 2009, 05:26 AM) *
My last (and first) drake character never went into his dracoform. I was saving it for a special occasion which never came up.

Every drake-magican should shift into a Drake before entering astral space and get astral armor and weapons. love.gif (At least if there's time to undress. grinbig.gif)
darthmord
QUOTE (Doc Byte @ Nov 10 2009, 09:01 AM) *
Every drake-magican should shift into a Drake before entering astral space and get astral armor and weapons. love.gif (At least if there's time to undress. grinbig.gif)

Hmm, I never thought about that. That *WOULD* be a useful idea. The Astral Armor would be a great benefit, the weapons too. Best of all, you can still cast spells as a Drake.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Doc Byte @ Nov 10 2009, 09:01 AM) *

Good point, but I was an adept. I encountered a need for the special abilities drakes get versus spirits (their claws counting as a magical attack, thus ItNW not applying). Unfortunately the rest of the party managed to off the spirits before my turn came around again.
Doc Byte
Btw, have you ever considered a Fomori-Drake-Occidentalis-Ki-Adept? wobble.gif
Draco18s
No, actually.
Saint Sithney
Being a Drake has some benefits outside of combat as well. Remember that Drakes are supposed to be agents originally created by Great Dragons to serve their purposes amongst humanity. As such, it gives those characters an in to creating a trusted partnership with some massively powerful players. Too bad that any character who could benefit from it really can't spare the bp.
Ravor
If by serving the "purposes" you mean glorified slaves then yeah.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Ravor @ Nov 17 2009, 08:17 PM) *
If by serving the "purposes" you mean glorified slaves then yeah.

And potential meals.
LurkerOutThere
And by trusted partnership you mean "given an oportunity to work for them or be a light snack"

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012