Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Judgment Day - what if?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Doc Byte
I just saw another Terminator rerun on TV. So let's imagine somewhen in the future the Horrors will return to Earth just to find humankind on the verge of loosing a war against the AIs. What might happen? Will the humans team up with the machines? Will machines and Horrors team up? Man and Horrors against the machines? Or will we face a nice free for all deathmatch?
Draco18s
Well, I suppose if volcanoes were to erupt, tsunamis wash over, pushed by hurricanes of never-imagined size, causing drought and crop failure, causing famine and plague, which lead to conventional war, to biological war, to nukes...

Also an asteroid hits, and magic comes back and the face of the planet is getting ready for the next angel-demon war (and oh yeah, there are intelligent machines)...

Then I suppose you'd have something like Alpha Omega.

nyahnyah.gif
Ravor
IF it weren't a three for all deathmatch I figure that the new style AIs would find more in common with humanity then with the Horrors.
Ravor
However, if the AIs evolve into the old style Deus then I figure they would be more intune with the Horrors.
Jericho Alar
QUOTE (Ravor @ Nov 8 2009, 02:02 AM) *
However, if the AIs evolve into the old style Deus then I figure they would be more intune with the Horrors.

Deus had humanity's best interests at heart.* It's just individual humans to him were more like lab rats than sentient people.. although with few exceptions I would suspect he considered most of humanity to be a hive mind anyway..

*it's just his sapience was so alien as to be incomprehensible to us, and so he only seems evil to us small-minded, short term, single corporeal vessel type folks.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Doc Byte @ Nov 8 2009, 03:31 AM) *
Man and Horrors against the machines?

This one, until the AIs are gone:

It's pretty hard for the horrors to feed if the AIs exterminate humanity.
Platinum
Rotbart is right.

If AI's eliminated humans, the horrors would have nothing to keep them here. Horrors don't want to destroy humanity, they want to feed on it.

I also personally think that there will be some kind of pain inducing cyberware that would keep horrors from bothering you. Although it would not destroy your body like the ritual of thorns.
Chrysalis
So, GURPS Reign of Steel with GURPS Horror with a bit of GURPS (book which name I can't remember about the atomic bomb causing magic to come up, set during the Vietnam War) and GURPS Magic?

-Chrysalis
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Platinum @ Nov 9 2009, 03:46 PM) *
I also personally think that there will be some kind of pain inducing cyberware that would keep horrors from bothering you.

There already is: It's called a Touch Link.
nezumi
Most likely, Horrors can't feed on AIs/robots (at least not the dangerous, really smart horrors). They may be able to use the machines, but they wouldn't pursue the machines for the purpose of eating machines. However, the AIs stand to lose a lot of resources with the humans in charge, and more with the horrors wandering around. So the goal of the AIs would be to ELIMINATE the Horrors and presumably SUBJUGATE the humans. I don't think they'd want to kill the humans. Deus didn't, and it would be pretty lousy programming which would allow the genocide code to kick in. However, the idea of keeping humans and guiding them 'for their own benefit', a la that old 80s movie, or I, Robot.

The smarter horrors, realizing this, would probably be working to fight the robots directly, but more importantly, to create human-based resistance cells and separate colonies which would survive independently. The AIs taking over ultimately is bad for the Horrors, because humans are crazy and diverse and wild and destructive, and AIs really aren't. So characters like Bone Crown would be working very hard to keep a vibrant underground alive and kicking robot butt.

Humans are the wild care, and would probably continue to be crazy and diverse and wild and destructive.
Tachi
QUOTE (nezumi @ Nov 9 2009, 08:29 AM) *
Humans are the wild care, and would probably continue to be crazy and diverse and wild and destructive.

Yay, humans! I knew I liked us for some reason. Turns out, it's because we kill stuff and break things... We're my kind of people. cool.gif

I'd have to agree about the Horrors helping to whack the machines, after all, we wouldn't let a tractor run over our cows, would we? Nice cow, safe cow, tasty cow.
Draco18s
QUOTE (nezumi @ Nov 9 2009, 09:29 AM) *
However, the idea of keeping humans and guiding them 'for their own benefit', a la I, Robot.

That movie should not have had that title. It should not have had any references to Isaac Azimov.

Strip those out and it becomes a mediocre-almost-decent evil robot movie.

I, Robot was a collection of short stories on how the 3 rules didn't cover every scenario in the intended manner.* The 0th law was an entirely separate novel that killed the first robot to act upon the 0th law (and it was a law of his own creation, I might add). He didn't shut down immediately, but was able to pass on the idea to another robot, who was able to act on the 0th law, albeit in subtle ways, unlike his predecessor who actually killed a human to prevent him from (essentially) blowing up Earth.

*Namely conflicts between the laws. An implied first law combined with obvious implications of the second, with a mildly phrased request (subtly implying the first law) lead to an infinite loop of inaction. Scientist on Venus needs some material to repair the building keeping the sun from baking them, asks politely for the robot to go collect it. The goal was a pool of corrosive liquid (the vapors surrounding the lake had mild effects, based on distance). Due to the casual request the robot hung back (second law) for fear of coming to harm (corrosive gas), but attempted to find another route to the lake (3rd law), but was not aware of the necessity of the request (needed the liquid to repair the habitat structure, first law). So the robot walked around the giant lake endlessly, looking for a way to get at it without causing harm to himself (and after 12 hours at the distance he was keeping, his one leg was in notably worse shape than his other).
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Platinum @ Nov 9 2009, 08:46 AM) *
I also personally think that there will be some kind of pain inducing cyberware that would keep horrors from bothering you.

Sim-module. If you have it hot-sim enabled, then you can cause yourself pain when ever you wanted to.
Lok1 :)
I think that if the AIs win they would most likely take humans "guide us" primarly through implants and reprograming, with some simsence thrown in, thats assummeing all the AIs are on the same side, wich is hard to say. As for the Horrors, odds are they would end up fighting against the AIs sooner or later an if they started to lose some of the AIs might start takeing action to eleminate humanity, or plugging us into said pain enduceing sim/ware to get the horrors to leave. Not to mention the fact that some of humanity might actualy come to groups with the AI and begin liveing in harmony with them.
Anyway odds are things would start looking like the matrix, and the terminator combined with a fair helping of earthdawn.
Tachi
QUOTE (Lok1 :) @ Nov 9 2009, 04:20 PM) *
Anyway odds are things would start looking like the matrix, and the terminator combined with a fair helping of earthdawn.

Good job Lok1, you just came up with a whole new game. wink.gif Or, wait... nevermind, that's just Rifts again. nyahnyah.gif
Vermithrax
The Horoi do not just feed on pain. All manner of suffering is as a banquet to them, even self delusion. The only ones safe from being fed upon will be those with little to no essence, even then they would have to worry about simply being physically eaten or used as parts for a construct.
nezumi
QUOTE (Lok1 :) @ Nov 9 2009, 05:20 PM) *
thats assummeing all the AIs are on the same side, wich is hard to say.

They won't be. The movies I mentioned assume either a) there's only one giant AI, or b) all AIs are programmed basically the same. Both of these assumptions are pretty clearly false already. You'll have different AIs pursuing different goals based on their underlying programming. Some, like Deus, will be working for the 'betterment of mankind' via subjugation, some will be defending society as a whole, some will be defending themselves, or their corporation, and some will just be loose cannons. However, Deus & allies have a very serious head start which will make him likely the most compelling player in that field we're likely to see, and his campaign is the easiest to achieve given its relevance (since he's willing to kill a billion people to save a breeding pair).
Godwyn
Or the Horrors help build "The Matrix" (from that movie not SR), fulfills the needs of both robots and Horrors, with only slight trouble for humans. Robots, happy with humans out of the way, and Horrors don't bother them because AI's have no essence anyways. Horrors continue to feast on the emotions/essence/whatever of humanity, as humanity still gains experiences through VR, and have many fewer problems with, you know, humans resisting. Humans, well, humans get the shaft, except technomancers who are unto Gods! (in the virtual world)
Doc Byte
Might be an interesting setting. Perhaps one could add some 'terminators' hunting human rebels.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012