Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Most Important Historic Event?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
crazyivans
I am just curious, in your games, what are the most important canon events? What events in the 6th world affect your games most profoundly? I don't mean things like UGE or Awakenings, but things Like DKs Death and will, or the Arcology, or Comet stuff. What stuff is always coming up in your games?
Snow_Fox
You named the biggies but, the collapse of Fuchi. a magacorp self destructs, proving they aren't invernerable and the ripples still go out as the number of tripple AAA corps increased and the infighting still rages as members of the surviving corps keep dueling, sometimes carrying over old grudges from Fuchi days adding to the laberythine twists
crazyivans
Your runners got a lot of runs from the Canabalism of Fuchi? I don't think my GM really ever used anything from that event. Damn, makes me want to go back in time...
Shev
Big events like that are known by the players, but are really kind of distant to them. I tend to focus more on the gritter aspects, i.e. Tanamous(sp? don't have the Underworld source book with me atm), Mafia, corp brutality, etc. They just finished a run where they delivered a runaway girl from fetus-making duty in Tanamous, only to find out that that she was "owned" by Novatech, the Johnson being her superior. Her job? Making fetuses, exact same as in Tamanous. Really drove home the state of corruption in SR. The group got a fair bit of hush money, so they managed to quell their morals long enough to deliver her back to her boss.

Really, I suppose it depends on how you want to play. Right now, as my group just got started a little while ago, and almost all of them are new to roleplaying, I'm going to wait beofre I start connecting them to the big stuff biggrin.gif
crazyivans
I guess if you incorporate all the big stuff, it makes for rather Heroic level campaigns, so if your PCs are just starting out, it doesn't make too much sense. Good point...
Kanada Ten
The after affects of Mob War (O'Malley's attempts to gain revenge, secure her power, and clean house). This has been a consistent theme in my world with the PC's are becoming more and more involved. Pretty much the main Canon event, next to Green Lucifer's exile, with direct ramifications to them.
Synner
The Marseille Scandals of '51. How about that for an obscure reference? Regardless, its become the big lynchpin for the whole campaign I've been running for the past couple of months.
Kanada Ten
So obscure that I only know of Johnny Spinrad, cyberware, and Lofwry's involvement. What actually happened?
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (crazyivans @ Feb 1 2004, 02:10 PM)
I guess if you incorporate all the big stuff, it makes for rather Heroic level campaigns, so if your PCs are just starting out, it doesn't make too much sense.  Good point...

Or it makes it a Hellish campaign where they feel like they may as well be sitting on a chessboard. YMMV.

QUOTE (Timeline Explorer)
2051 - In Marseilles, France, a series of illegal experiments is uncovered by media personality Madeleine Muller. Muller is almost killed investigating this story. As a result, Spinrad Industries is slapped with massive fines by the French government and loses its AA rating to sanctions imposed by the Corporate Court. (Prime Runners)
Ah. "Ms. Cameo" herself.

However, I do think that whoever did the writeup seemed to add things that I can't recall from PR.

EDIT
... because it just isn't there. The only thing PR says is that, "Her digging was vital in exposing the Naples toxic dumping scandal of 2050 and the Marseilles experiments of 2051," (Prime Runners, 48) and that she, "almost got boxed in Marseille four years back." (PR, 49).

Given that the only other reference in the Timeline to Johnny Spinrad is Imago (and an ad in Shadowtech) and possibly one of those news articles in the back of the 1st ed. books, I have no idea where it's from, but I'm fascinated.

One last thing: PR came out 9 1/2 years ago! WTF
Kagetenshi
The Arcology shutdown probably has the greatest effect on my campaigns. The thing itself is impossible to escape, looming in the center of the city, and the UCAS army descending on the place makes a bit of a stir...

~J
JongWK

Digging the past for new ideas can be cool. Besides, don't you think it gives old-time gamers a sense of continuity? wobble.gif
Synner
Crimsondude and Kanada - The Marseille Scandals and their fallout, for Lofwyr, Johnny Spinrad and Europe at large are recurring elements in my published material, DotSW, SSG and the "Spinrad Revealed" profile article that appeared a couple of months back in Games Unplugged and which will hopefully go up on the FanPro website in the near future. That article was also a source for the information that can be found in the Timeline Explorer.

Spinrad and Spinrad Industries had made cameo appearances in the Germany sb, Shadowtech and Imago. Then he vanished from canon, chronologically sometime around 2051/2. The Marseille Scandals of 2051 and Maddy Muller were introduced in Prime Runners. I've been telling the story of what happened and why its important in 2063.

Depending on how popular SoE proves to be with the fans, there's a lot more to be told as the vengeance story unfolds.

Regarding the origins of the characters and events ... what can I say? I'm a fanboy! I'm one of those people that think that the SR is a treasure trove of just such dangling threads and use them whenever I can in my games and in my writing. In fact I'm known for over doing it. The Lofwyr chapter of DotSW is littered with obscure references like those, which I believe many people missed because they're simply too obscure (okay, Ancient actually caught a couple in the previous update to his page).
Kagetenshi
Thus far it's proven to be about as popular as Duke Nukem Forever wink.gif

~J, who can hardly wait to give FanPro more of his money (a nonsarcastic comment, by the way)
Nath
QUOTE (Synner @ Feb 3 2004, 10:20 PM)
That article was also a source for the information that can be found in the Timeline Explorer.

Unless there's a third or fourth Timeline Explorer that I've never heard of (after archive., cortana. and timeline.dumpshock.com), no, such information can't be found. Only info from Imago, Prime Runners and Dragons of the Sixth World shows up (those from DotSW, the loss of AA status, were actually silently included in the entry referring to Prime Runners).
Synner
That's what I meant Nath. The Timeline entry included info from that article as part of the existing PR reference.
Nath
Huh, no. It's not what I said. Maybe I'm misunderstanding, you're saying there is in the TimEx information coming from that article in Games Unplugged, right ? And I don't see anything in the TimEx about Spinrad that cannot be found either in Imago, Prime Runners or DotSW. The TimEx does not even include info from Sprawl Survival Guide.
Synner
I've double checked and you are, of course, correct. The last bit of Lofwyr's chapter is more revealing than I recalled and the information could easily have come just from there. notworthy.gif

Ouch, you've just made me realize how long it's been since I wrote that particular piece. And now enough of highjacking this thread. Back to your normal broadcast...
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (JongWK)

Digging the past for new ideas can be cool. Besides, don't you think it gives old-time gamers a sense of continuity? wobble.gif

That's not the point. The point is that I had been playing SR for a couple of years before that (I came in at the tail end of SR1) and knew of it a year before that. As I was typing that, reading PR, I realized that I've been playing this game for half my life.
moosegod
Back to the thread...

Well, after we blew up Seattle and assinated every major world leader, things just kind of went to pot...
Crimsondude 2.0
So, Synner: Did Maddy ever get control of her own media corp?
Synner
Keep in mind it's been almost 10 years game time since PR came out, some people change with age, some just stick to what they do best. All I can say is Maddy will be making a reappearance soon...
Abstruse
I have a group I'm slowly gathering who are experienced with RPGs in general, but know next to nothing about Shadowrun. After easing them in with Food Fight and a few cake runs (throwing in lots of references to the Universal Brotherhood as the good guys their media image was at the time as well as making a few references to the 2XS chip), I'm going to have so much fun springing the bugs on them..."What do you mean the UB is bad? I get free food there at least three times a week! And they're the ones who got me this cyberar-- Uh oh..."

The Abstruse One
cykotek
If you ask all of my players, the most important event would seem to be Bug City...despite it not having happened yet. They all seem totally paranoid about it happening. It's like they're expecting me to spring it on them from nowhere, like I'm some sort of evil bastard-GM. I don't know where they got that idea at all. vegm.gif
BIG BAD BEESTE
Bout time someone mentioned the Bugs...

The most game effecting thing for my group was the release of Earthdawn 'cos we all went over to that instead - and I've been torturing them ever since [VEGM]
Sunday_Gamer
Velocity is running his game in 2053 or 54, not sure atm so a lot of what's happened in cannon has not yet come to pass, and since we're all familiar with events to come, he's moulinexing the whole show, which is only fitting since it kind of takes the edge off when you know too much.

Stranger: Hi friend! You look lost? Can I speak with you a moment?
Kong: Sure! What's on your mind mister?
Stranger: I'm from the Universal Brotherhood and...
Kong to GM: I cast lev, I get some air NOW NOW NOW!! Conference call with Nova, Gauge and Legs, NOW NOW NOW!! I need backup!! BUGS BUGS BUGS!!! HEEEEEEEELP!!!

Not terribly smoot, know what I mean?

Kong
Abstruse
That's why I'm glad my players for the new game are inexperienced with Shadowrun and don't own any of the books themselves yet. I can control what information about the world they have access to. I've already told them not to look up any info about the game online or anything else so they can't spoil the bugs. Or frankly any of the other events like Dunkelzahn's death, the Archology shutdown, etc. I know it won't work that long because either they'll get bored with Shadowrun and stop playing after a few months, or I'll have them so hooked with the bugs that they'll start buying the books themselves. I just want to spring the bugs on them...soooooooooo bad!

The Abstruse One
Dude same thing in my game, only I want to unspring the full unholy being of the Arcology. I decided to run an alternate reality from my old GM, because he has this super easy world, where things can be gotten for so cheap, infact ask a contact and you may receive one of the following, a very very nice car, a magical katana, a free ride on a helocopter and parachutes that have something that I can only describe as autosofts for the parachute skill. Ohhh and this goes on regularly, and it is fun, but no where near what I like. I like to be on edge and I feel more like James Bond who can't die. Ohhh and my character was originally a adept of the athletic way, but now he is basicly James Bond meets Blackwing.

But yes so many of the guys in my game have no idea what almost anything is. I'm just going to love using gridguide against them for the first time. I also love that one of the characters chose two freakin level three hunting flaws. Ohhh, yes and the character sucks even with that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012