Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: dual natured mage question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Tymire
Was thinking of trying to make a mystic adept shapeshifter and wasn't too sure on a couple things. Can a dual natured critter be possessed (or use invoking for that matter)? If so does the spirit and your just combine to form another entity or what happens? For that matter can they actually astrally project if they are a mage or is their spirit tied to their flesh?

Would think logically they wouldn’t be able to do either, however haven’t seen anything in the rules about this.
Neraph
As far as the rules care, you can only be possessed by one spirit at a time - dual-natured (unless I am mistaken) does not matter in this case. Dual Natured critters can project, as long as they have an ability to project.

Dual Natured simply means they are active on both the Physical and Astral planes at the same time, meaning that they can cast spells at Astral targets, and vice versa.
Dahrken
QUOTE (Neraph @ Nov 9 2009, 07:18 PM) *
Dual Natured simply means they are active on both the Physical and Astral planes at the same time, meaning that they can cast spells at Astral targets, and vice versa.

It also means they are perceiving astrally all the time in addition to their normal senses (but with no malus to perception checks because they are used to it), and cannot turn their astral perception off, which can be a problem some times (like the classical lift/ward/zoocanthrope situation).
Screaming Eagle
Can a dual natured critter be possessed (or use invoking for that matter)?

As I understand it: Yes. But you unlike most get to see it coming and maybe try to claw out its eyes. I'm not sure why you are in doubt about them using invoking... again yes they can if they take the meta-magic.

If so does the spirit and your just combine to form another entity or what happens? For that matter can they actually astrally project if they are a mage or is their spirit tied to their flesh?

As I understand it you and your magical abilities/ rating/ whatever are replaced by the sprits as per the possesion rules same with the other stat mods. If you astrally project (as a full mage you can do this regardless of being dual natured, see: dragons sleeping in their rules in the BBB(I know there is more but this was the first that came to mind)) I can think of nothing stopping spirits from making off with/ possesing you body, heck there are groups of spirits that do just that (Shedim)
Hound
yeah, but it doesn't mean the relationship between their "spirit" and their physical body is at all different. In fact, you could think of them as astrally projecting all the time, but restricted to the spot their physical body is at.
Ol' Scratch
It's little different than a magician actively using Astral Perception. Of course they can be possessed. They're probably easier to possess since they're permanently opened to the Astral Plane. The subject's individual abilities don't really matter that much.

The only exceptions might be materialized spirits or the like. And even that's kind of iffy. I don't recall any specific limitations on who or what can be possessed, but logic and intent of the rules kinda suggests that possessing a purely astral being (even if materialized) would be off-limits since the entire point of possession is to get a meat-body to ride around in.
Screaming Eagle
QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Nov 9 2009, 03:32 PM) *
It's little different than a magician actively using Astral Perception. Of course they can be possessed. They're probably easier to possess since they're permanently opened to the Astral Plane. The subject's individual abilities don't really matter that much.

The only exceptions might be materialized spirits or the like. And even that's kind of iffy. I don't recall any specific limitations on who or what can be possessed, but logic and intent of the rules kinda suggests that possessing a purely astral being (even if materialized) would be off-limits since the entire point of possession is to get a meat-body to ride around in.

Pretty sure you are right and you cannot posses a materialised spirit... though the force 10 Earth spirit getting possesed by another force 10 spirit (Say a plant spirit with regen) makes some stats you want to write home about
Neraph
QUOTE (Screaming Eagle @ Nov 9 2009, 01:54 PM) *
Pretty sure you are right and you cannot posses a materialised spirit... though the force 10 Earth spirit getting possesed by another force 10 spirit (Say a plant spirit with regen) makes some stats you want to write home about

Spirits cannot possess spirits, and a person cannot be possessed by more than one spirit at a time. Not sure where I remember that from, but I'm fairly sure it's out there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012