Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Real Life Imitating Shadowrun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Neraph
England is finally putting the pieces together for GridGuide, and Japan is getting their solar energy sattelite off the ground... in a few years.

I know the Japan bit has been posted before, but how about them GridGuides?
blindfox
QUOTE (Neraph @ Nov 9 2009, 09:06 PM) *
how about them GridGuides?

pretty keen smile.gif
sqir666
Y'know, I recall a few years back when my home town thought about making the highways "smart".

Unfortunately, halfway through they realized how expensive it would be.
hobgoblin
my understanding is that the "road train" system will have no changes to the current road net, as its all about vehicles being able to react faster to changes then the driver, thanks to computers and wireless networking.

still, gridguide, if one remove the electrical vehicle recharge part, can largely be done today thanks to gps and mobile phone networks or similar.

basically, the gps tells the system where it is, and where its going, while the mobile phone system acts as a info pipe about local changes up ahead, like say roadblocks thanks to accidents.

one system i have read about talks about magnets being planted at intervals along the lane markers, so that vehicles can sense what lane they are in. Far cheaper then putting some kind of cable in the road bed, as you can just have a truck drive along and drill and hole and drop in a magnet ever so often...

as for japan and solar sats, i think they have been toying with that idea for decades now.

oh, and i think i have a pdf here somewhere about the modern economy and the transport system, saying that one could not have come into existence without the government subsidizing the other into creation. This because the electrification of production made factories smaller, and potentially more distributed, so that one no longer had to more or less sit on top of a steam boiler to get things done.
Traul
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Nov 11 2009, 06:56 PM) *
basically, the gps tells the system where it is, and where its going, while the mobile phone system acts as a info pipe about local changes up ahead, like say roadblocks thanks to accidents.

The weak spot of this system is the mapping. Google puts some streets at the wrong place, and I suppose there are much more mistakes in the actual GPS coordinates. Can't afford to have a car run into a wall because the system told it there was a street there.
hobgoblin
true, thats why a proper system would be able to read the road somehow.

thats also why i said it could largely be done today.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012