Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Matrix Conversion Advice
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Morgan Vening
I'm about to start a new campaign (first in ten years!), and have a preference for 3rd Edition (namely because most of my stuff is 1st to 3rd).

The problem is with a lot of that stuff being 1st and 2nd Ed, has anyone come up with a simplified (even raw) way of converting the old System Maps architecture into the VR2/3rd Ed Security Rating/ACIFS?

I obviously don't expect it to be perfect, but I'm going in blind. I don't want to put in systems that the party walk through, but don't want ones that'll kill them outright either.

In particular, approximations for the System Nodes for Silver Angel (1st Ed GM Screen), Prototype Envy (3rd Ed Quick Start, but too simplified), and Dreamchipper.

Just until I get a handle on what to expect from the players to adjust accordingly. Even if just a base balance is achieved, I'm expecting an MPCP 8-10 decker, with appropriate programs, skills and stats. What's easy/average/hard for that?

Morgan Vening
Kagetenshi
To really figure out how easy/difficult a host is going to be, you need to know about what program ratings they'll be slinging; for MPCP 8-10, that'll be program ratings 6-10 in general. In that case, for all the Operational Utilities, they'll have TNs of ACIFS[appropriate subsystem] minus Rating. They'll have… crap, I forget the name, DF? Whatever it is, they'll have it at 8-10 depending on their Sleaze, plus up to another three points from Hacking Pool if you play with those rules. That's what the Host rolls against, so for an achievable system you want it to be moderately easier for them to get successes than for the host to (since the host cancels their successes and its successes stack up). At that level, maybe subsystems should be in the 12-16 range, generally towards the bottom of that if you're not looking to hammer the stuff they only have program rating 6 in.

~J
Link
A simple way to convert Matrix 1.0 to Matrix 2.0 using the Cavilard System Map on p16 of Silver Angel as an example;
- Convert all SPU's and CPU's to hosts merging SAN's 1, 2 & 3 into the nearest SPU 1, 10 & 11 respectively.
- All other nodes become subsystems of the SPU [now host] they are linked to.
- Host colour remains the same while 6 is added to the IC, host and subsystem ratings. (Giving values from 8-10 with some IC/subsystems a bit higher)
- System connectivity is unchanged.
- For simplicity use the example security sheafs from the books or generate an orange and red sheaf and use for all appropriate hosts.
Note that though the system has many hosts, it can just about be adapted on the fly.

Also, DF = Detection Factor.
Kagetenshi
Right, it's just that it'd been so long that I'd forgotten whether Detection Factor was in fact the correct stat.

Apparently I couldn't be arsed to open the books at the time smile.gif

~J
Morgan Vening
Coolies, thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

When the Decker gets ganked because the player can't roll for drek, and spends the rest of the game whining, I'll let you know. rotate.gif

Morgan Vening
Prime Mover
I sometimes forget how convoluted previous editions of decking/hacking were until I see a topic like this. For all the griping about 4th edition hacking it goes so much faster/smoother at the table now.

3rd Edition was a vast improvement over the "dungeon crawl" of 1st/2nd though. One hold over I still used at least for passcode systems is the security tally a truly devious gm tool.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Prime Mover @ Nov 10 2009, 08:40 AM) *
I sometimes forget how convoluted previous editions of decking/hacking were until I see a topic like this.

This myth again?

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012