Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Runs with a time limit
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Tanegar
A quote from TVtropes.org's Shadowrun page has given me an idea for a Shadowrun one-shot. I'd use pregen characters, probably base the run on the Sense/Net job from Neuromancer in terms of needing to use creative tactics to infiltrate a high-security building, and give a strict time limit (maybe the titular 600 seconds - 200 combat turns - maybe less). If the players don't exfiltrate with the objective within the time limit, cut to black and the sound of gunfire: the PCs are dead.

Good idea? Horrible idea? Eldritch abomination in text form? Feedback, please.
Synner667
Love it !!

Let us know how it turned out.
Ascalaphus
I've had something like it once; we had X OOC minutes in which to complete the mission. Everytime we travelled IC, the clock moved forwards as well.
It wasn't very successful, but I think that was also because most of the group was new to both the game and the game system...

Hmm. I do like the idea of trying that again though - but giving a strict limit of X combat turns is even better. I'll give it some thought - might be a nice thing for a run against an AAA.
Omenowl
It is a good idea, but make sure there is a reason for the time limit such as the code only works for 10 minutes before the alarm sounds or that the players will trip the alarms and have 10 minutes until reinforcements arrive. Don't make it seem arbitrary, but rather a limitation of the security or the codes they use.
Ascalaphus
Especially when they clearly know the time limit, and you have some imposing device on the table to count down with. Prepare a lot of complications that threaten to cut into the time they've got left and watch them squirm. If they don't spend all their Edge, you didn't scare them enough.
Sponge
Sounds like a great idea to me, I may have to steal that ... biggrin.gif
Method
Very interesting idea. I think the key is to come up with an overarching story that fits within the scope of 10 minutes (like Omenowl suggested). I could see this working really well for an in media res type game where the players (not necessarily the characters) are thrust into the middle of some convoluted situation and have to figure out what is going on. It would also work well for a game with only one player (that pesky character with the Amnesia Quality) or where the characters are independent of (or pitted against) one another.

All this of course requires that your players are willing to participate in this kind of game. Obviously I'd be sure to talk to them before hand.
Jaid
of course, it might be equally amusing to just put a timer there and not tell them why, and have it do nothing important =P (as the clock starts flashing 00:00:00, you hear a series of loud, annoying beeps, and a digitized voice announces "your popcorn is now ready. Thank you for choosing NERPS brand real butter popcorn.")
Draco18s
QUOTE (Jaid @ Nov 11 2009, 01:58 AM) *
of course, it might be equally amusing to just put a timer there and not tell them why, and have it do nothing important =P (as the clock starts flashing 00:00:00, you hear a series of loud, annoying beeps, and a digitized voice announces "your popcorn is now ready. Thank you for choosing NERPS brand real butter popcorn.")

This reminds me of the "actors playing shadowrunners on TV" idea a friend of mine had. Your characters are effectively shadowrunners, but they do it for entertainment (are aware of this) and so a lot of things are scripted (eg. you might have to really hack into a secure computer network, and it might really actually hurt, but you're not really breaking into anything important).
Ascalaphus
"Space shuttle has entered decaying orbit...repeat..."

"The nanotoxin will activate two hours from now"
Anythingforenoughnuyen
One of the characters is an astraly projecting mage who’s body is inside (and guarded) and he must get back to it before he dies….
Omenowl
Yes, putting a timer helps keep players focused and creates tension in the story. It doesn't have to be a normal scripted shadowrun either. It can be like 24 where you know the clock is ticking and you have a deadline that is looming. Just be careful of setting up a run where the players feel the odds are against them due to time and the payoff is minimal. This might just make them walk away as I hated any shadowrun where I had less than enough time to hit facility without knowing its problems. However, you could make it where they get a normal run and then suddenly find out something that would have a huge impact such as bomb, critical meltdown or something else that would make time of the essence.
Screaming Eagle
I ran a Zombie Apocolypse Survival Horror game a few years back when the idea came to me to have a soundtrack that dictated the game - say a 4 hour play time on the disc starting with "Typical day music" working its way into creepy background with periodic "we are getting mauled by zombies" tunes. Whatever they players were doing would be interupted by the scene swap (zombies finally break down the baricades, the horde inexplicably looses interest and go to chase something else). Did actually use it for that game (I feel it was my finest game ever actually) but thet idea has been rolling around since and it could work for Shadowrun... hmm
The Jake
I've found that my PCs if given an unlimited timeframe can plan amazingly well and overcome almost any level of opposition.

This has been quite frustrating to me as a GM to come up with reasonable scenarios to challenge them.

Using time limits has been EXTREMELY effective at nerfing their overplanning and made games challenging, fast pacing and exciting.
Other tricks I've used is to throw them multiple jobs at the same time, random spanner in the works (X-factors), red herrings, etc.
I've yet to really use a double cross however. I really need to do that...

Maybe I can combine the double cross with a time limit?

- J.
MikeKozar
QUOTE (The Jake @ Nov 11 2009, 04:42 PM) *

- J.

That's actually pretty good. Have a Fixer's right-hand-man be a Judas plant, and have him sell you out on a run. Trick is, the Fixer never trusted the Judas as much as the Judas thought, and when the Judas makes contact with the corp they're planning the run against, the Fixer calls up the PCs: "You're made. He's on his way to a meet to sell you out. You've got 30 minutes before the weasel sells the details to the target - go NOW and you can still pull this off."

A sensible person would walk away...but maybe the money's too good, or it's a once-in-a-lifetime security hole, or maybe the players just feel lucky...
Ravor
I think I'd go with the "its personal" as a motive to hit the target regardless, but that's just me. cyber.gif
Tachi
1. Escape from New York.
2. Escape from L.A.
3. Escape from Chicago. Pliskin's at it again. Implanted with an experimental nano-kill-switch; Snake must infiltrate Bug City, retrieve a powerful magical item, and return it to (Enter BBEG here. Damien Knight? It is Chicago after all.) before his time runs out.
Tanegar
I'm thinking about keeping the setup pretty basic for the sake of simplicity and ease of comprehension: there's no way of getting in without being made as intruders, and the runners have exactly ten minutes before overwhelming security forces arrive. As the fixer says, "If you're in there for six hundred and one seconds, the only way you're coming out is in body bags."
MikeKozar
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Nov 12 2009, 01:26 AM) *
I'm thinking about keeping the setup pretty basic for the sake of simplicity and ease of comprehension: there's no way of getting in without being made as intruders, and the runners have exactly ten minutes before overwhelming security forces arrive. As the fixer says, "If you're in there for six hundred and one seconds, the only way you're coming out is in body bags."

I've used the threat of Heavy Response Teams before...as soon as the alarm gets pulled, the Corp will scramble a team of million-dollar cybersams in an attack helocopter, and you have X minutes before they arrive. They're on Deterrence duty - they want to take you down so hard, mean, and memorable that nobody will dare frag with Corp property again. Pray they don't take you alive.

I'm lucky enough to play with a group smart enough to believe me when I say that the Heavies will wipe them out, so I haven't had to actually deliver on the threats. It might be fun to take every dirty trick I've learned on Dumpshock and load them all up in a helo, though. smile.gif
Ascalaphus
I just came up with the following:

Ares McJohnson hires the PCs to kill an Ares researcher.
- It can't look like an inside job
- No need to be nasty; he's not a bad man
- Don't damage the facility too much; it will be deducted from your pay
- Don't look at what he's working on
- We'll have to make it look like we're trying to catch you, so get out before our security team gets there; you have T seconds from the moment he dies (he has a biomonitor implant)

The background is like Soylent Green; the researcher figured out what Ares is doing with bug spirit research. He has conscience issues and is about to go public.
Of course, if the PCs do get caught going through his stuff, Ares has no choice but to kill them, if they can...
Drraagh
There are a lot of options and ways to make a run like this work with a timer, especially since in Shadowrun, there is a defined system to determine how far the characters can travel in a set amount of time, and most tasks have a time set for them. Which means, you could easily figure out a time limit on how long it will take the team to get from the entrance to the target, do what needs to be done and get out, assuming optimum conditions, and add some time on top of that for stealth and the like.

It may end up playing like a minature style game, moving the pieces around on the board as they go, and may be one way to allow them to visualize the time limit and the like. It's one of the few ways I can think of to give a good visual representation besides say having a laptop nearby and subtracting some time as things go on. Every turn, take off so many seconds, etc.

Part of me now wants to take one of those 'Create the board as you go' games and use that sort of rules to convert it to SR.
Tanegar
The actual timer mechanism (literal and figurative) will be one of those little clicky mechanical pitch counters. Every three seconds of in-game time, I click the counter and say, "Turn." I think this will produce the degree of tension and holy-crap-we're-running-out-of-time-ness that I'm looking for. I was already planning to use 1-inch grid paper to draw floor plans on and use those as maps.
Ascalaphus
A big bowl of M&Ms, each representing one turn. When the bowl is empty, people die.
Screaming Eagle
QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Nov 12 2009, 01:36 PM) *
A big bowl of M&Ms, each representing one turn. When the bowl is empty, people die.

This has the bonus of both crunching noises and eatting candy. But 600 is alot of M&M's. 60 at one every 10 turns or 120 at one every 5 turns would be alot, but eatable. Anyone know how many are in the standard pack? I may be doing just this in the near future... feels like a run that has a Dragon in it and thats whats causing the deadline.
"Crunch - Crunch - Crunch"
Xahn Borealis
Add the time limit during the run. No smart runner would take a job with that sort of limitation. Make it something like the extraction target just got shot/poisoned/Infected, get to him and get the paydata/prototype/antidote.
Godwyn
QUOTE (Screaming Eagle @ Nov 11 2009, 03:14 PM) *
I ran a Zombie Apocolypse Survival Horror game a few years back when the idea came to me to have a soundtrack that dictated the game - say a 4 hour play time on the disc starting with "Typical day music" working its way into creepy background with periodic "we are getting mauled by zombies" tunes. Whatever they players were doing would be interupted by the scene swap (zombies finally break down the baricades, the horde inexplicably looses interest and go to chase something else). Did actually use it for that game (I feel it was my finest game ever actually) but thet idea has been rolling around since and it could work for Shadowrun... hmm

<3 Idea!

QUOTE (The Jake @ Nov 11 2009, 11:42 PM) *
I've found that my PCs if given an unlimited timeframe can plan amazingly well and overcome almost any level of opposition.

This has been quite frustrating to me as a GM to come up with reasonable scenarios to challenge them.

Using time limits has been EXTREMELY effective at nerfing their overplanning and made games challenging, fast pacing and exciting.
Other tricks I've used is to throw them multiple jobs at the same time, random spanner in the works (X-factors), red herrings, etc.
I've yet to really use a double cross however. I really need to do that...

- J.

As a Shadowrunner I would feel that was a disservice in some sense though. I would feel part of being a successful Shadowrunner would be to gain as much info to plan the run, so that the run itself has as few problems as possible. That really seems to be what a professional, high grade Shadowrun team is supposed to do. Of course if the information going in is faulty. . .
Ascalaphus
QUOTE (Screaming Eagle @ Nov 12 2009, 06:42 PM) *
This has the bonus of both crunching noises and eatting candy. But 600 is alot of M&M's. 60 at one every 10 turns or 120 at one every 5 turns would be alot, but eatable. Anyone know how many are in the standard pack? I may be doing just this in the near future... feels like a run that has a Dragon in it and thats whats causing the deadline.
"Crunch - Crunch - Crunch"

You don't have to eat them all yourself. An added benefit is if confusion ensues and several people eat this turn's M&M; "you just lost some turns". Be merciless.
Screaming Eagle
QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Nov 12 2009, 03:05 PM) *
You don't have to eat them all yourself. An added benefit is if confusion ensues and several people eat this turn's M&M; "you just lost some turns". Be merciless.

I'm sorry, if I'm bringing M&M's to the table and I'm the GM, they are for me. I brought the lasagina to share. Though giving everyone a smaller bowl on M&M's and having "something" happen to them individually as they run out (Turn out to be infected with X crazy virus, gun jams, the ritual Sorc finsihing targetting them with Agony) would be cool...

EDIT - of course you don't tell them this, you just try not to grin as someone just digs in...
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (Screaming Eagle @ Nov 12 2009, 07:26 PM) *
I brought the lasagina to share.

The what?
Screaming Eagle
sorry, call it spelling or a typo - to clarify:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/worlds-best-lasagna/detail.aspx

Note - not my recipe but look pretty good eh?
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (Screaming Eagle @ Nov 12 2009, 11:24 PM) *
sorry, call it spelling or a typo - to clarify:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/worlds-best-lasagna/detail.aspx

Note - not my recipe but look pretty good eh?

Where is your table? I must know. I was just commenting on the fact that 'lasagina' sounds quite anatomical...
Draco18s
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Nov 12 2009, 06:29 PM) *
Where is your table? I must know. I was just commenting on the fact that 'lasagina' sounds quite anatomical...

That extra I certainly livened things up.
The Jake
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Nov 12 2009, 06:46 PM) *
Add the time limit during the run. No smart runner would take a job with that sort of limitation. Make it something like the extraction target just got shot/poisoned/Infected, get to him and get the paydata/prototype/antidote.

You're not thinking creatively enough.

E.g. Johnson says "I need you to steal prototype X. Said prototype is in a storage facility at present because the truck transporting it had "broken down" during transit. This facility has a reduced state of security compared to where it is going but the truck will only be there until 7am. Then the parts arrive for the truck and it will be on the road again before midday. You must get the prototype and get out before 7am."

QUOTE (Godwyn @ Nov 12 2009, 08:02 PM) *
As a Shadowrunner I would feel that was a disservice in some sense though. I would feel part of being a successful Shadowrunner would be to gain as much info to plan the run, so that the run itself has as few problems as possible. That really seems to be what a professional, high grade Shadowrun team is supposed to do. Of course if the information going in is faulty. . .

True but not when it gets to a point where every adventure is a cakewalk. Then the game ceases to be fun for anyone. No job has unlimited time/budget/resourcing. Ever. So you need to work out what are the parameters and constraints of the run which make it a challenge.

In my campaign, my PCs have gotten such a good rep for handling short notice/last min jobs that they keep getting more of them (which they HATE hahaha). But more to the point, they realise is a potential long term health hazard.

- J.
Method
So I've been thinking about this concept for the past few days and I think I have a really cool idea for how to integrate this into a game. Basically the idea would be that you (the GM) design a convoluted combat with a time limit (20 or 100 combat turns or whatever). You plan it such that key events are spaced out every 10 combat turns or so. Then you design a full adventure that revolves around the team being hired, planning, doing legwork or otherwise gathering information that will inform the decisions they will need to make to survive or otherwise win the combat. Heres the kicker- you run it in media res style interspacing 5 or 10 combat turns at a time with the rest of the adventure. So the PCs' understanding of the combat "evolves" as the fight goes on and whether or not they live or die in the end depends on how well they navigate the adventure.

Does that make sense to anybody besides me? It would take someone with way better creative writing skills then I possess to make it work. If done right, tho you could use it to illustrate the importance of things like planning or legwork in a way that wouldn't bore the combat-junky PCs in the group.

Any thoughts?
Drraagh
An in media res adventure or even the Momento type of adventure would be hard, but could possibly be fun to do. I've wanted to try in one of my adventures to have a 'prophetic' style, where free will versus written destiny was questioned. The runners have a dream or a flash or divination of a certain event happening, and they can choose to actively avoid it or just ignore it, but like in most movies, everything they do leads to the outcome they foresaw.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Method @ Nov 13 2009, 10:38 PM) *
Does that make sense to anybody besides me? It would take someone with way better creative writing skills then I possess to make it work. If done right, tho you could use it to illustrate the importance of things like planning or legwork in a way that wouldn't bore the combat-junky PCs in the group.

Any thoughts?

I love the idea.
Method
Any ideas on how you would use it?
Draco18s
QUOTE (Method @ Nov 16 2009, 02:24 AM) *
Any ideas on how you would use it?

I'm a player, not a GM. ^.^
kzt
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Nov 12 2009, 10:46 AM) *

10 minutes is perfectly reasonable, if you understand that going in. It just changes how you approach things. You need to be very direct. For example, you need to get the data on a project so secret it is stored off-line in a very good safe in the lab, which is a concrete building inside a fence covered with security cameras and systems. There is no apparent way to work on the safe without triggering an alarm and the safe will take at least two hours to open without using something that risks destroying the contents.

In the 10 minute version you use a lot of flexible linear shaped charges and a semi tow truck. You blow a hole in the fence, run forward, apply FLSC to the wall, blow the wall, back the truck up to the hole and someone runs in with the cable and prebuilt sling and attaches it on the safe, while someone else runs a FLSC circle around the safe on the floor. Then they start the winch and see if the safe moves, or the semi moves. If the semi moves they fire the FLSC and crank the safe and the chunk of floor out of the building and drive away. (Luckily SR computers use all solid state storage...)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012