Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IRL Addictive Brain Implants!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Garou
I read that. It scared me . A LOT.

http://io9.com/5402584/the-curious-case-of...r-brain-implant

It's not really "Simsense" Based, but remberes the Wiredhead concept of Larry Niven's work...

Vermithrax
This kinda would be just like a BTL, without the simsense emotive track.
Makes you wonder how much worse the addiction could get with an emotive track and a "climax" at the end.
pbangarth
Imagine if somebody else had his thumb on the dial.
sqir666
The things people with a bit of tech in the brain. wink.gif
Brazilian_Shinobi
Lol. And I thought that Manara's "Click" was just fiction...
hobgoblin
hell, the same thing have been observed in lab mice, tho later studies shows that they got stimulated activity wrong, as the mammalian brain seems to wire curiosity with pleasure or something...
Blade
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Nov 12 2009, 04:20 PM) *
hell, the same thing have been observed in lab mice, tho later studies shows that they got stimulated activity wrong, as the mammalian brain seems to wire curiosity with pleasure or something...

IIRC, it rewards curiosity (new experiences) with pleasure.
Actually, the brain works mostly this way: it rewards you with drugs when you do something it wants you to do.
pbangarth
QUOTE (Blade @ Nov 13 2009, 04:29 AM) *
IIRC, it rewards curiosity (new experiences) with pleasure.
Actually, the brain works mostly this way: it rewards you with drugs when you do something it wants you to do.

If action A brings selective advantage, then those individuals who perform action A will over time live longer (or at least be more likely to live long enough to have offspring) than those who don't perform it, and thereby tend to procreate more and pass their predilection to perform action A on to more offspring. If one of those individuals happens to have a mutation that causes pleasure when action A is performed, then that individual will perform it more often... rewind and restart.

As the original post shows, even good things can be overdone. If the individual performs action A to the exclusion of other actions necessary to survival, it loses its selective advantage. Nature kills losers.
Molly Hayes
Sign me up!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012