Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun Cards
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
GM Lich
So I've been running shadowrun games, I wanted some kind of reward of something for players who do an awesome job roleplaying or just does something plain awesome, without abusing edge or karma too much, this is what I got Cards! These are ideas for rewards, almost like small favors with a small price. Let me know what you think
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k246/mis...expectedaid.jpg
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k246/mis...k/Ruleofsix.jpg
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k246/mis...k/LucksGift.jpg
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k246/mis...Connections.jpg
blakmetalmedik
Thats actually a pretty awesome Idea nyahnyah.gif the cards look very nice aswell.

have you started using them by chance? and if so how have the gone over?
Kagetenshi
For a player who does a less than awesome job, you can give them Greenapple Quicksteps.

~J
Dumori
I want to see more and some more details on how you give them out. Also you could add in the one that have been given out in conventions if have one has links to the bonuses they give link please.
GM Lich
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Nov 16 2009, 10:19 AM) *
For a player who does a less than awesome job, you can give them Greenapple Quicksteps.

~J

ah I see what you did there nyahnyah.gif

QUOTE (blakmetalmedik @ Nov 16 2009, 06:58 AM) *
Thats actually a pretty awesome Idea nyahnyah.gif the cards look very nice aswell.

have you started using them by chance? and if so how have the gone over?

Thanks BTW,No I haven't I was hoping for some community feedback. I dont want these to break the game. I just want it so that if they save these cards wisely they can get out of some spot.

QUOTE (Dumori @ Nov 16 2009, 03:46 PM) *
I want to see more and some more details on how you give them out. Also you could add in the one that have been given out in conventions if have one has links to the bonuses they give link please.

Well, please excuse me this is an idea merely in a nut shell but basically, say the player just does something in the game that simply amuses me. Intense Role play perhaps, coming up with an original solution to a problem (no shotie shootie), no real complex table really just to say "you deserve one because of X." The idea of the cards is to give less actual karma, and more little favors in times of need. I really don't know what you mean by the whole convention sentence, it doesnt make sense to me frown.gif.
Method
I was curious about the convention thing to. That sentence makes no sense.

Anyway, the cards are very nice. How did you make them? Is the art original? Do you print these prior to games?

I think the idea is pretty good, but it runs the risk of being a little too subjective. You might find yourself in a situation where your players are trying to out-do themselves to earn these cards and get a little miffed if they don't get what they think they deserve. The Karma system isn't totally objective, but at least there are clear guidelines.

Good idea tho...
Kagetenshi
Ah, so you were looking for substantive feedback. I don't play SR4, but let me see if there's anything I can help with anyway…

General: what's the significance of the numbers/symbols in places you'd normally expect categorization or cost information in a CCG?

Connections: why is Edge fully capitalized? "[A] good deal" should be defined more clearly.

Luck's Gift: poorly worded. Maybe change to "Play this card at any time instead of spending a point of Edge."

Rule of Six: by the wording, you get to use it after the roll has occurred and you see how many sixes there are (and also how many successes you have); that seems really powerful to me, but maybe that's what you mean. That said, the downside seems hideous, and worse yet doesn't appear to have a duration—if I remember the SR4 Glitch rules, with four dice you'd be glitching (1/6)*(4/6)^3 of the time, or 4/81; that's not huge, of course, but it's still pretty harsh. If you didn't mean for the disadvantage to be permanent, you need to give details on how long it lasts.

Unexpected Aid: this one's tough, especially for characters with limited number or variety of contacts. You could easily end up having to create some deeply strange situations to explain why someone just happened to be lurking, say, deep in the Arcology waiting to save the team.

~J
GM Lich
QUOTE (Method @ Nov 16 2009, 05:43 PM) *
I was curious about the convention thing to. That sentence makes no sense.

Anyway, the cards are very nice. How did you make them? Is the art original? Do you print these prior to games?

I think the idea is pretty good, but it runs the risk of being a little too subjective. You might find yourself in a situation where your players are trying to out-do themselves to earn these cards and get a little miffed if they don't get what they think they deserve. The Karma system isn't totally objective, but at least there are clear guidelines.

Good idea tho...

The art is shamelessly stolen from deviant tart (I need to give credit to them) My main objective is I want to avoid the whole super epic shadowrunner who can do super ridiculous feats that can make humans look like ants. Believe me I still want to give them credits this is just extras "boostes" to do the super awesome without getting too ridiculous. Its not to take over karma
BishopMcQ
The Convention comment, I believe, references the NERPs cards that were used at Origins and GenCon last year and this year. They were given out to players who played at any Catalyst event (Missions, one-shots, demos, Tournament). The NERPs cards could be used in game for a minor benefit, or turned in at the Booth for discounts on products.

I will check and see if I have the list of benefits.

Edit: Found them.
[ Spoiler ]

TeaTime
These cards look great!

I used something similar a while back on the PCs based on an idea posted here on DSF. For each point of edge spent pregame, the PC got to pull a card from a stack of NERPS cards. The players seemed to enjoy it.
I like your idea though, using cards as in game rewards. I'd certainly spring a few bucks for a deck to give out to players.

-NERPS Cards 2008-
[ Spoiler ]
StealthSigma
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Nov 16 2009, 09:59 PM) *
Unexpected Aid: this one's tough, especially for characters with limited number or variety of contacts. You could easily end up having to create some deeply strange situations to explain why someone just happened to be lurking, say, deep in the Arcology waiting to save the team.

Fallout Mysterious Stranger?
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (TeaTime @ Nov 17 2009, 03:56 PM) *
I Summon Thee! - You gain 1 extra hit on a summing test at no cost.

∑a_i, here I come! wink.gif

StealthSigma: removing the condition that it's specifically a contact certainly helps, though I'm sure a player could still end up on the moon or something when they use it.

~J
BishopMcQ
TeaTime--Like many things, the first round of a product has some flaws. I enjoyed the 2008 NERPs cards, but Bull and Andy proved what you can do when you play the 20 kilos of Plastique, 12 times in one convention...
Caine Hazen
QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Nov 17 2009, 04:17 PM) *
TeaTime--Like many things, the first round of a product has some flaws. I enjoyed the 2008 NERPs cards, but Bull and Andy proved what you can do when you play the 20 kilos of Plastique, 12 times in one convention...

Wha.. wait huh.. I mean

I WASN'T THERE....

/duckncover

Yes, season one did tend to get a little "overdone"
MadLetter
I'm working on some of those myself, I will likely implement this kind of stuff in my soon to start shadowrun game. I might make use of it in other games too, I like this small added options. I'll post some of the cards later, if I remember it (currently sitting in a college lecture).
Kumo
Nice idea!

QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Nov 17 2009, 03:59 AM) *
Connections: why is Edge fully capitalized?

Why not spin.gif ? It's not a big problem.

Luck's Gift: poorly worded. Maybe change to "Play this card at any time instead of spending a point of Edge."

Well, right.

Rule of Six: by the wording, you get to use it after the roll has occurred and you see how many sixes there are (and also how many successes you have); that seems really powerful to me, but maybe that's what you mean. That said, the downside seems hideous, and worse yet doesn't appear to have a duration—if I remember the SR4 Glitch rules, with four dice you'd be glitching (1/6)*(4/6)^3 of the time, or 4/81; that's not huge, of course, but it's still pretty harsh. If you didn't mean for the disadvantage to be permanent, you need to give details on how long it lasts.

Just next roll? The card is a reward, after all...

Or just a "helpful stranger" - some wedge slave, occasional hacker or a local pimp.

I suggest only one card in game simultaneously. If a player who has that one card use it, new card can be given.
Card should be given for things like awesome role play, really good plan, maybe "good deeds" -like rescuing a non-important NPC in a middle of the run.
Dumori
I'd alow up to 3 cards perplayer and make use of the 2009 deck. Also I would just deal them a card but allow swaps if your hacker gets a +1 to summoning or or another card that would be use less to them. Aslong as the majority of cards aren't very powerfull a max of 3 should be fine.
MadLetter
QUOTE (Dumori @ Nov 18 2009, 06:54 AM) *
I'd alow up to 3 cards perplayer and make use of the 2009 deck. Also I would just deal them a card but allow swaps if your hacker gets a +1 to summoning or or another card that would be use less to them. Aslong as the majority of cards aren't very powerfull a max of 3 should be fine.

That's what I'm planning to do. I'll try to create something between 30 and 50 cards over the next two weeks and will give each player one to start with, adding one per awesome roleplaying moment / excellent idea / superb execution of an idea. Maximum 3 cards per player, playability of card may be limited by myself as a GM, a veto-right so to say, which I intend to exercise as little as possible.

Also, if you guys have ideas for cards, give it to me. I'd be happy for some help.

For now I've got the following:
  • Distraction - Spend Edge and some distraction occurs (Plot Twist)
  • Flimy Cover - When attacking an enemy behind cover, half the armor rating of that cover for this one attack, you hit the weak spot so to speak (Combat)
  • New Friends - Someone wants to meet you, you come across someone, etc. who might become a new friend (Plot Twist, GMs choice)
  • Upping the Ante - Security got tighter. Some form of reward will come out of this (Plot Twist, Increase Difficulty)
  • Rare Ware - Lower availability of any item by 3 before checking if your contacts can get a hold of it (Equipment, player choice)
  • Connection Hiccup - An opposing Icon suffers a connection hiccup (spam, mini-blackout, whatever...) and looses one IP and one die for one round (Matrix)
  • Shock - Play when you take 5+ physical damage in one hit; for the next 3 rounds you may ignore all wound penalties (Combat, Damage Dependant)
  • Taking the Bullet - Play this card when an ally is attacked close to you. You may make yourself target of this attack, but you can't dodge (no reflex roll) and only soak the damage (Combat)
  • Air Support - Play this card to increase the difficulty of a run. The enemy now has air support. SOmething good will come out of this. (Plot Twist, Increase Difficulty)
  • Lookout - Play this card when any ally is covered by you, doing time consuming work (hacking, astral spotting, ...). You keep a lookout and gain an additional die to all perception rolls to spot enemies (General, Buff)

Any more ideas and criticism welcome wink.gif Were just some ideas I tossed around.
Draco18s
Shock would more appropriately be called Adrenaline.

Or "Pills Here!"
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Kumo @ Nov 18 2009, 05:41 AM) *
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Nov 16 2009, 08:59 PM) *

Connections: why is Edge fully capitalized?

Why not spin.gif ? It's not a big problem.

Yes, it is. Have you eyes to see? wink.gif Seriously, it's inconsistent and looks ugly.

Just next roll? The card is a reward, after all...

If that's the case it should say that. A strict reading right now indicates that it should happen on into eternity, and if your players can't determine what it actually means by a strict reading, they can't determine what it means without bugging you to tell them.

I'm not really a fan of advantages with a downside like this, either; my advice is to make it only usable before the roll (if it wasn't intended to be already) and just forget about the drawback.

MadLetter: you need a spelling/style check, but otherwise no comments at the moment.

~J
MadLetter
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Nov 18 2009, 10:36 AM) *
MadLetter: you need a spelling/style check, but otherwise no comments at the moment.

~J

The card text is different from what I wrote down in the forums. The cards are more elaborate, and cleared up (I hope). I wrote the things above down so you guys have a clear view of what I am doing with the cards-idea smile.gif

But thanks for the comment, I will re-check the cards, too.

EDIT
One of my own cards. Right now I do have 17 cards.
http://selgrad.vs150059.vserver.de/img/srcard/stdpw.jpg
GM Lich
alrighty bear in mind this is merely an idea that could easily be developed. ah so someone already used a simlair idea at a convention? So out of curiosity what were the basic rules. SPend a point of edge pregame and you get to draw one? Sounds nifty. So far I've thought my own cards, so far they seem to me to be mundane yet useful. The main problem I can see is 3 worlds problem. (THe magic world, the meat world, the matrix world). I don't want to make too tailored to the mundane world yet I want to support all sides.
Method
Hmmm. The more I think about it the more I dislike this card business, but I think its just my bias. I happen the *hate* CCGs and this kinda strikes me as a "dumbing down" of the game. Plot developments should happen organically, and like someone mentioned above, the use of these cards could lead to absurd situations.
Ayeohx
Neat idea!

I'm not going to add em to my games; I still have magic and the Matrix to tax my wee brain. Don't need no freakin cards mussing up my concentration. But I'm very impressed by the idea and the work you put into them. Pretty pro looking.
GM Lich
eh, even if I never use them they are still fun to do.
Jericho Alar
QUOTE (Method @ Nov 18 2009, 10:45 PM) *
Hmmm. The more I think about it the more I dislike this card business, but I think its just my bias. I happen the *hate* CCGs and this kinda strikes me as a "dumbing down" of the game. Plot developments should happen organically, and like someone mentioned above, the use of these cards could lead to absurd situations.

I'd guess most players using them either run something more along a beer & pretzels style game (which are a blast with friends when you just want to relax btw) or something more cinematic / humorous.

absurdity happens all the time in SR, really; just think of the cards as giving a small part of the storyline to players to decide. (e.g. the standard password or the lucky shot etc.) most of the rest are just an extra die on some test, which isn't remotely different than giving them one situationally on GM fiat except this way it's delayed GM fiat.

[edit] personally, I probably wouldn't use them as a GM either (not my style) but I would find them reasonable and fun if another GM used them in a game I was a player in.
Udoshi
I got some. And flavor text too!

Love Tap: Use on one melee attack, after you hit. Attack now deals Stun damage, and cannot kill a target via damage overflow. Lights Out!
Tacnet Spoof Games: Use on a successful hacking attempt against a target running a tacnet. You may alter one aspect of the network without being detected(such as 'your team doesn't show up' or 'the helicopter has incoming missiles), plus one per point of edge you spend. 'Mana-na-na. Doot doo de doot. Hm HM hm Hnn. Doo do do do -delete ete ete. Ete ete de-le-ee-te....'
Massive Damage: After you hit with an attack, before rolling for damage, multiply the DV by 1.5. 'Omae, that was overkill.' 'No such thing. Five heimdalls left.'
Drinks Are on Me: Choose a social scene. Your and your friends don't have to pay for food related expenses. +1 social dice for the encounter, if applicable.
Oh Shit!: Pick any test that just got rolled, but before the results are declared. Spend a point of edge to add a glitch, or downgrade a glitch to a critical clitch. Wow.
Incoming! Your team is now being chased by the Star, or other security forces. They're deploying Right Now. . Something good will come out of this. (Plot Twist, Increase Difficulty). Day-um! Baby got backup!
MadLetter
QUOTE (Jericho Alar @ Nov 19 2009, 01:44 AM) *
I'd guess most players using them either run something more along a beer & pretzels style game (which are a blast with friends when you just want to relax btw) or something more cinematic / humorous.

Well, my games are generally a good mix between some slight humor and a rather tense atmosphere. I generally tend to let humor walk out of the door when the run starts and business is at hand. At other times my group does include a fair bit of humor, head on.

absurdity happens all the time in SR, really; just think of the cards as giving a small part of the storyline to players to decide. (e.g. the standard password or the lucky shot etc.) most of the rest are just an extra die on some test, which isn't remotely different than giving them one situationally on GM fiat except this way it's delayed GM fiat.

That's pretty much my train of thought (*choo choo*). In a way it's some added power I give my players, handing them small story-changes they can throw out any time they like (with reservations and veto right). One of my players is already a master of changing the environment sligthly to the better with his own descriptions, making the world come alive. He's the guy that more or less taugh us group storytelling several years ago, which we ate up and incorporated into our games. Some players still have problems doing this, so I think the cards are esp. a nice thing for them.. smile.gif

Also, thanks for some ideas, Udoshi!
Tricen
Where, exactly, did you get that template?!? If you're using Magic Set Editor, could you point me in the direction of that template? I'd love to play around with it.
etherial
Not sure about the software, but the template is from the Vs. System CCG.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012