Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cyberware Sensors
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Tymire
When using radar and sniffer headware for cyberware/chemical/explosive detection are you allowed to add in your perception or are you limited to rolling the number of dice on based off the rating of the senser? If you cannot add in perception they would be handy for other reasons, but not too useful for doing this since the threshold for detecting things are fairly high and they are limited rating wise.
Rotbart van Dainig
The Cybersniffer provides a bonus to Perception tests and the Radar Sensor is a Vision Enancement like Ultrasound.

Even though they can make stand alone tests, it doesn't really matter - both can be used to make standard Perception Tests, too.
Tymire
Thanks for the replay, but that wasn't quite what I was asking. smile.gif

Question reworded was, how you do (what I would consider) non-standard tests like using your radar sensor as a millimeter sensor to scan for cyberware or looking for explosives with the sniffer.

For example, to find ammo it requires a threshold (2) test, if you are only rolling 4 dice for the sniffer (r4) chances are you are not going to find anything. If it's a perception test you could be easily be rolling 10+ dice which makes it almost trival (while the highest rating sniffer you can buy is only rolling 6 dice).

Same thing goes for radar for checking for cyber, spotting all cybers a person is sporting would be much easier to spot if rolling 10+ dice.......

It would seem a bit off imo if you could do those at your perception rating. Especially considering all the other nifty little tricks you can pull off with them.
Brazilian_Shinobi
Like all tests it should be a skill+atribute+any bonus that applies.
In this case, the ratings of the sensors would give a bonus, IF the sensor can detect it in the first place.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Tymire @ Nov 19 2009, 08:10 PM) *
Thanks for the replay, but that wasn't quite what I was asking.

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear - it did:
Question reworded was, how you do (what I would consider) non-standard tests like using your radar sensor as a millimeter sensor to scan for cyberware or looking for explosives with the sniffer.

You can either make a standalone test, or a Perception Test - your choice.
Actually, you can make both (and the Sensor may use a fitting Sensor Soft) - and then, your TacSoft get's it roll, too.

When the Sensor notices something itself, it will post you a message.
When you make the Perception test, you notice it.
When you TacSoft found something, it will show you in AR.
For example, to find ammo it requires a threshold (2) test, if you are only rolling 4 dice for the sniffer (r4) chances are you are not going to find anything. If it's a perception test you could be easily be rolling 10+ dice which makes it almost trival (while the highest rating sniffer you can buy is only rolling 6 dice).

With a Perception Test and enough net hits, you can smell the mood of persons by their pheromone, determine their health and diseases, track them down like a bloodhound and know what they had for breakfast and who they spend the night with. Do you honestly think you are going to miss the fact that they stink of cordite and TNT?
Same thing goes for radar for checking for cyber, spotting all cybers a person is sporting would be much easier to spot if rolling 10+ dice.......

Again, with a Perception Test and enough net hits, you can see cables in a wall, the booby trap behind the door, it's internal wiring and trigger - and you worry about weapons beneath simple clothing or implants in flesh?
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Nov 19 2009, 08:29 PM) *
In this case, the ratings of the sensors would give a bonus, IF the sensor can detect it in the first place.

No. The sensor either provides a Bonus to Perception Tests (OlfactoryBooster) or it doesn't (Radar Sensor).
Tymire
That's awsome (didn't think it worked like that) and definately cannot see why you wouldn't want to have both on a sammie. Slowly going through the books and don't always get a good feeling of how everything works together.

Picked up both of those on a character instead of your typical eyes and ears (worried about essence) and am relying on glasses/contacts/ear buds instead (can add them later if feel like they are needed). cool.gif

But thanks again.
Brazilian_Shinobi
Eyeware is one of the most basic cyber one should get. Anyone can benefit from it, even the Awakened, although, the essence loss hurts a little bit.
Ol' Scratch
No, that used to be the case. Now, spellcasters are pretty much the only ones who do "need" eyeware. Everyone else can get away just fine with Contact Lenses, Glasses, and/or Goggles. With Contacts 3 and Glasses 4, you can have an Image Link, Flare Compensation, Smartlink, Low-Light, Thermographic, Vision Enhancement 3 and Vision Magnification. And a pocket sensor device can cover Ultrawideband Radar 4 (Radar Sensor 4), MAD Scanner and Cyberware Scanner. What more do you need?

There is no distinction between technological and natural vision mods anymore except, again, for spellcasters. Eyeware is just a convenience now at best, or grants access to niche options like Eye Lasers and Microscopic Vision.
Karoline
QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Nov 19 2009, 04:14 PM) *
No, that used to be the case. Now, spellcasters are pretty much the only ones who do "need" eyeware. Everyone else can get away just fine with Contact Lenses, Glasses, and/or Goggles. With Contacts 3 and Glasses 4, you can have an Image Link, Flare Compensation, Smartlink, Low-Light, Thermographic, Vision Enhancement 3 and Vision Magnification. And a pocket sensor device can cover Ultrawideband Radar 4 (Radar Sensor 4), MAD Scanner and Cyberware Scanner. What more do you need?

There is no distinction between technological and natural vision mods anymore except, again, for spellcasters. Eyeware is just a convenience now at best, or grants access to niche options like Eye Lasers and Microscopic Vision.

Agreed. Back when I first started playing SR4 I would always get cybereyes/ears and put a bunch of stuff in them. Then one day I noticed I could get all that same stuff in a pair of glasses for about 1/10th of the price and no essence cost. Since then cyber eyes/ears are something I don't generally go for.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012