Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: getting a girls number
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Red-ROM
ok, I'm in a bar, I scan for nodes, I find someones commlink, can I call them now? or drop them an email? do I send a pop up asking to chat? I guess that would only work for active nodes. what would it take to get their "comm number" and what is that exactly. If I want to give you my number, how would I do it? say it out loud while you punch it in your commlink? I feel like I'm missing something here.
Jack Kain
If they are directly in range you can probably just send a message. However to get their number unless its openly displayed you'd have to hack it.
kzt
a) you go look them up on Faceboard and find out all sorts of things.

b) You hack their comlink and copy their life to your comlink, so you can go through it at your leisure, since it has things like their home address and access codes to their apartment in addition to their comlink number.

c) You send them a message.
Jericho Alar
QUOTE (Jack Kain @ Nov 20 2009, 11:45 PM) *
If they are directly in range you can probably just send a message. However to get their number unless its openly displayed you'd have to hack it.

Matrix Action Analyze Node (rolling Matrix Perception) would give you their Access ID if you chose to ask for it (there's a list of things you can get, one per [net] hit.) if it's active or passive it's just an open roll. Access ID is basically the device's routing number, which is more or less interchangeable with 'their number'.*

*realistically no one has phone numbers in 2070+; you are your social profile. (see: google wave, facebook, etc.) it's just that the social sites are all wired for VOIP comms.
OneTrikPony
Not to mention that if you're in the type of bar where people look to hook up everyone is probably running their link in public mode so all of the social networking stuff is popping up as AROs automaticaly. Like when you're sitting talking to one chick and texting another across the room. Except that you're doing it all in your head.
Method
If you have their current access ID I would allow a data search to find an associated commcode, provided the access ID isn't spoofed to begin with.
sqir666
QUOTE (Jericho Alar @ Nov 20 2009, 10:57 PM) *
*realistically no one has phone numbers in 2070+; you are your social profile. (see: google wave, facebook, etc.) it's just that the social sites are all wired for VOIP comms.

Well, I'm screwed then.

Anyways, back on topic, you would just send them a message if they're in open mode.
Method
Yeah you could. Commlinks work in multiple hardware/software/network modalities. If your commlinks are within mutual signal range and she is in open or passive mode (in other words, your commlink can detect her's) you can transmit a direct message that requires no meshed routing via the Matrix.

It gets more complex if you are outside mutual signal range. I think you could probably call a person using an access ID, so long as they are still connected using the same device. If they are switching devices (or spoofing their access ID) a message sent to a previous access ID would be lost. Thats where a commcode comes into play. A commcode is for sending messages through the Matrix and making sure they get delivered to whatever device the user is logged onto regardless of access ID.
Udoshi
QUOTE (Jericho Alar @ Nov 20 2009, 09:57 PM) *

Uh. yeah they do. That's what a Commcode is, and is the reason people have MSPs. People can't rely on their crappy signal 3 to do -everything-

If you are within Mutual Signal of your target's Comm, and its in active or passive mode, you could just send them a message.
Shadowrun does have emails, voicemail, and text chat - Jackpoint is based on a p2p network, or so says unwired, but a commcode number might be harder to get. You could ask for it, wireless wiretap it if they access it while you're listening, or possibly take it off a device(such as a commlink) where a record of that commcode exists.
Jack Kain
Of course if your real smooth you can just go up and ask! smile.gif
Ascalaphus
Usually, a Data Search check should turn up a commcode, unless this person isn't the ordinary civilian she appears to be. We read that data searches turn up so much info and that privacy is a cooling corpse, so I think this would be reasonable.

If you can detect her node, you can message her; but a passive node will probably ignore your message (that's what passive is for.)

If she's using a real, static Access ID, you could track that back to her, even find out where she is with a good Track test.
Falconer
Actually if you're in a regular security zone. She's required to broadcast her SIN just like you are.

IMO: the bigger problem isn't getting her number (SIN), it's getting past her spam filter or on her allow list.

Which brings you right back to square one... making the introduction and using those social skills. (or hacking yourself onto her 'friends' list).
Fezig
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Nov 20 2009, 08:41 PM) *
what would it take to get their "comm number"

Narcojet?
hobgoblin
reminds me of a real life bluetooth story i ones read.

basically, iranian teens (or maybe some other arab nation) would use bluetooth to pass messages to each other, including flirting, to avoid being spotted by the "moral police"...
Chrysalis
Welcome to the real use of the Internet in the Middle-East. Talking to members of the opposite sex.

Guys, why donät you simply walk up and talk to her?

Geeze, why does everything have to be so technical. What's the worst that happens, she maces you in the face and get banned from the bar for life and have your wingman post the video on a social networking site.

Ascalaphus
Of course, what you should do is get her Access ID and then set some Agents to tracking everything she does, data mining the hell out of her and everyone she knows. And you should break into her comm and listen in on any conversations. And so on.
Method
QUOTE (Falconer @ Nov 21 2009, 07:25 AM) *
Actually if you're in a regular security zone. She's required to broadcast her SIN just like you are.
Not quite. A comm in active or passive mode is required to broadcast a SIN in response to queries using *authorized security codes*, which is like a web security certificate. A comm that receives such a quiery would check the security code against a trusted database and broadcast the SIN in an encrypted format only if the security code were legit. You could spoof this, but either way you need some hacking skills to steal someone's SIN.

The data you transmit in active mode is the kind of garbage you would find on a social networking site. It would not include protected personal information (unless you are really dumb and then you get what you deserve).
Red-ROM
hmm, I guess i was trying to be funny with the title of this topic, I was more interested in common everyday use of commlinks and comm codes/numbers. I think there's a difference in messaging someone whose Pan is actively broadcastng their faceblog ARO's and calling someone for a chat (voice, trideo or whatever). people don't want to be called by anyone who scan's their nodes(hehe, that sounds sexual) so heres some other scenarios:

-you meet a bunch of new runners for a job, and you have to split up or jump into the matrix, you want the crew to be able to contact you, what do you say/do?

-you're a business man, smoozing a new potential client, how do you "give him your card"

its the fluff I'm looking for really, or maybe a better grasp of this future technology
Method
Unwired kind of touches on this under "Data Requests" on page 54. Basically most simple data transfers are pretty straight forward. When you meet new people they would send an "access request" or something like a friend request. You would agree or disagree which would establish their access rights. From then forward they can send you un-encrypted messages of all flavors.

If you want encrypted communications or to establish a Tacnet, however, you need a subscription, which counts toward your subscription limit, etc etc.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012