Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: explosions under water
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
xizor
hi
just wondering if shadowrun has rules for explosions under water ?
Frag-o Delux
Cannon Companion p112 second paragraph on the left.

Edit: It has full underwater combat section

Target: Waste lands has some underwater stuff
And Rigger 3 has some stuff

But the CC p112 is specificly underwater explosions
Ed_209a
Water is uncompressable, so the shockwave from an explosion won't lose power until it hits the water surface or... you.

Shockwave effects will me much more intense, but fragmentation effects will be negligable.
Frag-o Delux
That is why the rules have you increase the damage and in some cases make it anti-vehicle.
Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate
Only Shadowrun would have rules for underwater explosions. wobble.gif
Cray74
QUOTE (Ed_209a)
Water is uncompressable, so the shockwave from an explosion won't lose power until it hits the water surface or... you.

Shockwave effects will me much more intense, but fragmentation effects will be negligable.

Water is incompressible, true, but as the explosion's shockwave expands over a larger volume, it has a larger surface area, meaning the force is being distributed over a larger and larger area. The incompressible nature of water just means that one mechanism for soaking up the force of an explosion (compression) is removed.

In other words, the pressure spike of the shockwave will still drop with distance, just not as badly as in air.
Ed_209a
Exactly. I was thinking of the spherical blast wave as a entire system.

The total energy in a spherical blast wave of radius x will be extremely close to one of radius 2x, but the energy per surface area will be 4 times less.

And it's that surface area of exposure that hurts you when someone throws a grenade into the pool.
Laughlyn
You also can't forget the ease which the human eardrum will pop.
Frag-o Delux
The rule just says increase the damage of the explosion, now one would assume it goes in all directions, so if the object is the range of the blast they get hammered by the blast. It is just a game it doesn't need to get any more complicated. The rule says under water explosions so anything close enough, including on the surface would be hit by this rule. Anything significantlly out of the water is not. Not really much here to debate, seeing that he asked if Shadowrun had published rules for under water explosions and there it is CC p. 112. If you through a grenade 15S into a pool anything 15 meters away in all direction gets hit, at xD. Sorry if I sound like an ass but I don't what is to debate here. Can some one tell me?
Cray74
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)
The rule just says increase the damage of the explosion, now one would assume it goes in all directions, so if the object is the range of the blast they get hammered by the blast. It is just a game it doesn't need to get any more complicated. The rule says under water explosions so anything close enough, including on the surface would be hit by this rule. Anything significantlly out of the water is not. Not really much here to debate, seeing that he asked if Shadowrun had published rules for under water explosions and there it is CC p. 112. If you through a grenade 15S into a pool anything 15 meters away in all direction gets hit, at xD. Sorry if I sound like an ass but I don't what is to debate here. Can some one tell me?

Debate? The original question was answered quite succinctly by you (and again, in the above quote, with even more clarity). With the original question quite well answered, this thread has come down with a case of thread drift as posters talk about the physics of underwater explosions. I certainly wasn't trying to contradict your rules quotations and I don't think anyone else was, either.
Frag-o Delux
Sorry for being an ass earlier I was tired. So any way about underwater explosions. Since it becomes anti-vehicle I assume it would negate any armor the character is wearing. How far would you think the extra damage would extend if at all above the surface? Those spouting gysers that follow depth charges may still be enough to impose the extra damage. Also would a charge attached diretly to the ships hull get the extra bang seeing that no water was between the explosion and the hull? Or would I need to place the charge on a meter long pole to give some room for the charge to develope its anti-vehicle properties? Or since this is an abstract system would the explosion get the extra to damage sinse it is rolling along the hull?

Again sorry for being an ass.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate @ Aug 21 2003, 08:25 PM)
Only Shadowrun would have rules for underwater explosions. wobble.gif

hehe, nope. blue plant have it. its easy, you just add some amount ot the explosive force makeing it have a bigger range and pack a but more punch early on...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012