Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What would happen if you crushed a vampires throat?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Lok1 :)
I was thinking about this for a while, what happend if one wished to fake the death or capture a vampire and attempted this one way or another?
I'm no expert and I'm not sure how this would work, the rules arn't super clear on this stuff so I thought I'd ask. Would a carfuly placed blow or just a bullet to the throught (not the jugular) kill the vampire before he intered dormancy? Would the wound heal before he went out, and if he did go dormant, would the wound heal itself than wake him up with oxygen.
Also on a related note, what would happen if a vampire had a wad of marshmellows stuffed down is throat at he started to choke?
Neraph
The question comes down to Regeneration. Can a vampire make a Regeneration Test while dormant? If no, then he can take 20k (that is, thousand) Physical damage and he's still "alive," as Regeneration states the affected character does not die until they get a chance to make a Regen Test. (In the above instance, a lot of Medicine would be used to remove that damage until into manageable levels, then the Vampire is taken out of dormancy. This also works with using an Allergic material to halt Regen Tests.)

EDIT: Also, you double-posted the thread.
djinni
magic
Ol' Scratch
Induced Dormancy only results in unconsciousness. Regeneration is an innate power that doesn't require consciousness. Crushing their throat won't do anything to them except, possibly, buy you a couple of seconds.
Mercer
I posted in the mirror (possible evil) thread, so I'll stick this in here as well. Some of my points were covered, but hey, that's what we get for having the same conversation in two different places:

The Induced Dormancy weakness doesn't specifically say that the vampire needs to breathe the air, but it's a fair assumption. I think the difficulty in representing choking a vamp out would be that degrees of choking in the game would be Stun damage, and shooting the throat would be Physical damage, and both would be healed very quickly by the vamp's Regeneration power. Likewise, there's no real way to model someone choking to death on their own blood in the system beyond taking a lot of damage and not being stabilized, and this would be a tough thing to pull off on a creature with Regen.

The other thing about Induced Dormancy is it takes minutes, so for a vamp that's 40-220 combat rounds they need to be oxygen deprived. The dormancy is a great way to store and transport vamps, if that's your thing, but it's something that you have to trigger after you beat them down as opposed to a great way to beat them down on it's own. (Considering that anything you do to the vamp will likely be Regened, and if you holding a plastic bag over their head they'll likely go to Mist Form, choking a vamp out is hard to do-- nevermind that doing anything that takes a minimum of 40 combat rounds to be hard to pull off in the system.) The dormancy ends after the vamp is exposed to oxygen for a minute, so once the vamp is out, you have a little bit of time to work.

You're best bet would be to have a modified tanker truck (for mobility, or any water/air tight tank if you plan to lure the vamps in) that you toss the vamp in once you've beaten/shot/spelled them into unconsciousness (which will likely only last a round or two due to Regen). Seal it up and hope the vamp doesn't have a spell that will blow the truck up. (Having a truck also helps since you can move it, so even if the vamp astrally projects to try to get someone to help them, having his meatbod be mobile will muck things up.) Give it half an hour, pull the vamp out and vaccuum seal it and store it wherever you want.

Having a vamp go dormant because he choked on a bunch of marshmellow peeps would be humorous, but unlikely. Especially because he could physically rip his or her own throat out, remove the peeps, and then heal up fine in a matter of seconds.

I think the trick to getting a vamp to go dormant is keeping it in one place where it can be deprived of oxygen long enough for it to take effect. Throwing a book vamp into a body of water should work (the book vamp has a STR 3, no Athletics listed, and a -4 penalty to all swimming related tests), but it seems like if they go to Mist Form they could float out unless the Mist Form is required to make swim tests-- which is weird for other reasons. (I mean, it's mist.)
kanislatrans
the secret is to coat said vampire in a thick layer of Caribbean Glow™ tanniing butter. this can be accomplished with a successful Con test to convince said infected that it will protect them from the sun. Then as the critter is almost done( and its hands are all greasy) you wrap it quickly in KwikCling™plastic wrap and finish with a layer of Ducktape™brand duct tape..why do you guys have to make things so complicated?? grinbig.gif grinbig.gif grinbig.gif

on topic, as I understand it it is not the lack of oxygen to the lungs that bring dormancey but the complete lack of oxygen to the body. but I have been wrong before..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012