Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exceptional Attribute & max cost?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
nylanfs
I have a question (and couldn't find it using search), at a recent con I got into a discussion with about Exceptional Ability and the total cost.

I was arguing that the end cost for the attribute was 10+10+10+10+25+25=90 (at char creation) because it doesn't increase the racial maximum. Just allows the "possibility" of getting one point higher. They were arguing that it increases the racial maximum so it was 10+10+10+10+15+25=80

The person I was discussing with was two people that have been playing with SR since 1st ed, and were running several games at the Con. But I was fairly certain that my reading was correct.

So any input?
Karoline
It raises the racial maximum, so cost is 10,10...10,25 done. Otherwise you get into the case of, that very last (Exceptional attribute point) isn't raising to the racial maximum, so doesn't cost 25 points, it only costs 10 like normal.

Edit:
A character with this quality has one attribute
with a natural maximum one point higher than his metatype
would normally allow (for example, a human character would have
one attribute with a natural maximum of 7)
MikeKozar
QUOTE (Karoline @ Nov 23 2009, 06:32 PM) *
It raises the racial maximum, so cost is 10,10...10,25 done. Otherwise you get into the case of, that very last (Exceptional attribute point) isn't raising to the racial maximum, so doesn't cost 25 points, it only costs 10 like normal.

Edit:

Good point, well made.
Jericho Alar
This is part of why the cost for the quality is 20 points.

if it were 15 you could get +1 max for 'free' if you had spare positive qualities; if it were 10 it would actually be cheaper to take exceptional attribute even if you were never going to go past 6.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012