Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tattoos and quickening
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Bearclaw
Does the mage HAVE to be the tattoo artist for tattoo magic ot work? It seems like as long as he's there to cast the spell, and work the enchantment, he shouldn't also have to be the artist. Or am I sniffing glue?
hobgoblin
its not stated in exact words but given that you need both enchanting and tattooing skill i think they problably have to be one and the same...
Sunday_Gamer
We have allowed a mage with quickening to track down an enchanter with tattoing to hire the enchanter for the tattoo and handle the quickening ( and all karma costs obviously) himself.

Kong
mfb
i'd allow a mundane tattoo artist to lay the ink, as long as the quickening mage did everything else.
Bearclaw
QUOTE (mfb)
i'd allow a mundane tattoo artist to lay the ink, as long as the quickening mage did everything else.

That was what I was thinking.
Reaver
QUOTE (mfb)

Problem with that is that it requires the mage to "learn" it as a seperate metamagical talent. That would lead me to believe that it has to be the mage doing the tatooing. But that's just my take on it.
Herald of Verjigorm
Just use the self-mutilation variant. No need for exotic ink, no need for a tattoo artist, just a dagger and a mage.
sable twilight
I would rule the mage has to do the tattooing, but no one said the mage has to actually be any good at laying down ink.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
Just use the self-mutilation variant. No need for exotic ink, no need for a tattoo artist, just a dagger and a mage.

Oh yeah... And it's much prettier, too.
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
And it's much prettier, too.

A high skill in artistic scarring will be prettier than an incompetent tattooist.

More likely, it will look like the mage has been sent through a wood chipper.
Austere Emancipator
If I had a point, it was that scars are intrinsically prettier than tattoos. But further discussion on this topic will not be good for my PR, so I'll just say that I would require the mage Quickening the spell to also do the tattooing (or scarring).
Req
If I had a point, it was that scars are intrinsically prettier than tattoos. But further discussion on this topic will not be good for my PR, so I'll just say that I would require the mage Quickening the spell to also do the tattooing (or scarring).

Either you've missed out on a lot of cool tattoos, or you've seen some fraggin' AMAZING scars. smile.gif
sable twilight
Ritual scarification has a long and ancient tradition. Scarification done by a skilled practitioner of the art can be quite beautiful. I would suggest checking out BME: Body Modification Ezine for more information on not only scarification but information other forms of body modification as well.

As for Austere Emancipator. Get down with your bad self. Take if from some one who has a long experience with brining up... erhem... alternative viewpoints to similar message boards, talking about these sorts of subject don't hurt your PR with the people it really matters.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (sable twilight)
Get down with your bad self.

What does this expression mean?

And just so we're clear on the matter, I think self-mutilation is not very nice. At least when done by real human beings.

Funny how scarification is mentioned in the Tattooing section in MitS, but all the rules refer to tattooing only. Would you rule that all those special ingredients would still be neccessary?
Bearclaw
I would still rule that you need the materials. They're what provides the "link" that makes it twice as powerful as a regular quickened spell.
Siege
QUOTE (sable twilight)

Um...it's a good thing.

"Get down" -- be comfortable or be proud
"your bad self" -- your slick, cool or otherwise positive adjective self

Sorry, I don't know why I'm having such a hard time defining that phrase.

-Siege
Rev
I believe that scarification procedures often involve packing dirt, or other substances into the wounds. So those could be the special materials.

Edit: Ugh I have confirmed this (and seen lots of pretty gross pictures), aparrantly they often apply ash in western scarification. I had remembered the dirt from some documentary about africa.
Fortune
QUOTE (Rev)
Ugh I have confirmed this (and seen lots of pretty gross pictures), aparrantly they often apply ash in western scarification. I had remembered the dirt from some documentary about africa.

Ash is commonly used when making jailhouse tattoos (or scarifications, if you prefer).
sable twilight
QUOTE (sable twilight)

And just so we're clear on the matter, I think self-mutilation is not very nice. At least when done by real human beings.

Funny how scarification is mentioned in the Tattooing section in MitS, but all the rules refer to tattooing only. Would you rule that all those special ingredients would still be neccessary?

Siege summed it up pretty well. To me it means that I felt a certain connection in an area that was not unexpected. In this case, the appreciation of artistic body modification that others might be uncomfortable with or find over the top (though I also enjoy good tattoos). Yes, I know you are not talking mutilation. Scarification and mutilation are two very different things and done for very different purposes.

Yes, special tools would be required, though the details would very from artists to artist. They need to be bonded to the user, but not to the level of foci. Think along the lines of a something like fetishes used in spell use. I would treat them like Enchanting Kits in terms of cost and availability.
Zazen
I think the purity and elegance of ritual scarification really comes through with guys like this. As I look at this work of art, I am reminded to search beneath the trappings of my senses to discover the truth and beauty of all things (i.e. that there is "more than meets the eye").

indifferent.gif
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Req)
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Feb 3 2004, 10:12 AM)

Either you've missed out on a lot of cool tattoos, or you've seen some fraggin' AMAZING scars. smile.gif

Well the Maori used to use a chisel when doing their moko. Had the effect that their faces actually had grooves carved into them. Although they've mostly switched over to modern tattooing methods now. Can't think why. I've been doing some Maori research lately, quite interesting. smile.gif
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Zazen)
I think the purity and elegance of ritual scarification really comes through with guys like this.

Ehhh... Okay, maybe I should change my statement: Any types of "body modification" that highlight the beauty of a human being without covering it are prettier than the ones relying on putting lots of pictures on skin.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012