Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Club fashion in 2072
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Chrysalis
Greets,

This fall of 2009 the 1980s are in, which leads me to the interesting question what is the fashion in club wear for Fall in 2072?

I am not talking about flakjackets and helmets or about underground fashion, but mainstream upscale women's fashion in 2072.

Sooo... Any ideas?
Prime Mover
The 2050's a decade of corporate excess, new tech, confused populace and underground movement saw a resurgence of 80's trends as well.

The 2070'a are influenced by high technology, orxplotation and a world that seems to finally be settling into its own.

I see current fashion trends a mix of urban gangster and practical high tech.
Jack Kain
The problem with imaging a fashion trend that doesn't exist yet is. It doesn't exist yet. So If you decided to do some kind of throw back to earlier decades you could go strait back 100 years and see what the wore in 1970's.
Or go back to the 1930's and the Zoot Suit.
Thanee
It's all about the AR overlays now. wink.gif

Bye
Thanee
Prime Mover
In Seattle at least theres been a a strong oriental and native american influence as well.
Mercer
I think it's generally best to tie the cutting edge of fashion in 2072 to the cutting edge of today, and calling that the new retro.

I think if you pick something that isn't fashionable today it comes off feeling a little silly, while if you pick things that are fashionable today (which are often silly anyway) they at least have the feel of being fashionable.

That or pick two incongruent elements and comine them (like Hanfu and Haute Trash) and claim it's a fad. Or go Retro Future.

Also, the thing about high fashion is, even when it's popular, it's pretty damn goofy.

Lastly, I used to keep a file of pics for NPCs, some of which were from game art and some were chopped out of old magazines. Anything I could clip to the GM screen to give the players a visual prop. You'd be surprised how many fashion models make convincing elves.
Tachi
I don't know, I kinda like that vest you linked under 'damn'. You could build a lot of armor into that thing and no one would notice... silly.gif
hobgoblin
check the armor section of arsenal, as there you find tailored armored clothing from some of the big SR fashion houses...
Tachi
Yeah, I've read it, it's just that with that vest being as puffy as it is, you could go nuts. Put the armored gel packs inside the vest kinda nuts.
Backgammon
As all things Shadowrun, Fshion follows money. In the 1800s, Trading Companies would bring back textiles from the Orient. Of course they'd buy in bulk, so you'd have a boat come in with a gazilion meters of red textile. Well, the fashion houses would churn out dresses using that red textile.

So in Shadowrun, the fashion houses would use the expensive, cutting edge their parent corp just invented. Smart materials, nan-fabrics, etc, or even retro normal textile if the corp suddenly got a good deal on a stach of fabric.

The look can be really anything. I think Mercer had a really good post to that effect. That basically means that you, as a GM, can go nuts. Anything you see in a magazine today, you can pass off as fashion of tomorrow. Doesn'T even hve to be "retro", it's doubtful the players are going to go "oh my god, that's 2009's look, that is sooo retro" unless you are gaming with a gaggle of fashionista ladies (right.

In my opinion, some societal trends that may influence fashion are a) very little sexual boundries b) extreme individualism and c) corporate restraint.

With little sexual boundries, you can expect some club-goers to basically be showing off bare tits, asses, etc - maybe just nano-body paint to decorate and enhance nudity, not hide it.

With the possibilities of extreme individualistic expression through body mods, that's going to have an impact too. However, it's going to be that old paradox of "mass produced individualism". Fashion houses aren't in the business of telling people to express temselves. They are in the business of getting you to buy as much of their shit as possible. But, a happy medium may be a lot of people mixing and matching different trends.

Finally, you have coporate culture, influence by japanese austerity. A young japanacorp executive out on the town for fun will probably still be dressed in a very expenseive, but very serious looking suit. Same for the ladies. A corporate girl may well be dressed rather seriously, even it may then be very easy to get her out of those clothes.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Tachi @ Nov 28 2009, 12:36 AM) *
Yeah, I've read it, it's just that with that vest being as puffy as it is, you could go nuts. Put the armored gel packs inside the vest kinda nuts.

sorry, i should have specified that it was aimed at the opening post...
Nifar
The group I play with tends to pick a look for a new club and go with it. So far we've been to 1930's mobster clubs, complete with zoot suits, a club based on the harajuku district in Japan, a "retro" rave club, etc.

I rather like the idea of themed clubs, since it means that you only have to come up with a specific theme, instead of trying to come up with the popular fashions for the entire world.
Tachi
QUOTE (Nifar @ Nov 28 2009, 03:02 PM) *
The group I play with tends to pick a look for a new club and go with it. So far we've been to 1930's mobster clubs, complete with zoot suits, a club based on the harajuku district in Japan, a "retro" rave club, etc.

I rather like the idea of themed clubs, since it means that you only have to come up with a specific theme, instead of trying to come up with the popular fashions for the entire world.

True, but, being the paraniod whack-job that I am, that brings to mind the fact that if you come out your door dressed for a specific club, then your enemies know where you're going and how much time they have to ambush you there.

But yeah, that's a good way to keep it simple.
Nifar
Considering the fact that one character kept the zoot suit and wore it around town for damn near a week after they visited the club just because he liked it so much, I'd say that stuff like that isn't something like that isn't a worry for a for us.

Besides my character lived in his van, so he drove to the club first, then stepped out of the door dressed to kill. (Not literally. We were there to meet a Johnson, and the run wasn't wetwork.)
Tachi
QUOTE (Nifar @ Nov 28 2009, 03:33 PM) *
Considering the fact that one character kept the zoot suit and wore it around town for damn near a week after they visited the club just because he liked it so much, I'd say that stuff like that isn't something like that isn't a worry for a for us.

In my games, that's an easy way to make yourself easy to track, but hey, to each his own. Your game doesn't need to work like mine.
Nifar
Considering the fact that me and the GM are the only ones who have played before, the game is rather forgiving. Except for me. I had to take a handicap of Gremlins 1 and Weirdness Magnet, without receiving any points for them.
Snow_Fox
I think you'd have to decide how your world thinks of itself, also they alternate between 'poor' and 'rich' styles. The hippies of the late 60's early 70's went for the poor look-dirty feel, long hair etc, a rejection of societies percieved norms. In the 80's things were big and bright people were sure of themselves and things reflected that, big bright etc cloths materials and cuts. This was followed by the grunge of the 90's and then more sophisticated but simpler look of the early 2000's.

So how does the population think of the world? Is there a positive feeling of the recovery from the crash? It's in the past and we are going baby! or sill down iun guilt "We brought down our world through greed and the people havn't learned their lesson yet."

styles also affect the look? cowboy bar? jeans and boots are always a theme. angry thrash band? leather and metal. and so on.
Backgammon
I believe the 6th world is in a permanent state of "scared shitless". You're basically back to the lifespan of the Dark Ages, right. But instead of dying of general hardship, you die eviscerated by a one of many possible monsters on your way home. This is why the 6th world is a society of escapism. So I imagine clothes know no boundries. the crazy ass shit you see on the runways - basically art for art's sake that no one wears today - is actually worn by people in ze future. Why not? Probably going to die tomorrow anyway, might as well live it up.
hobgoblin
i guess it would depend on what zone your living in, and if you like "slumming" or not...
TKDNinjaInBlack
All of Shadowrun's past trends were pretty parallel to the trends and designs of the current period. 1st and early 2nd edition looked very similar to 80's punk revival and glam fashion, the 90s and third edition brought matrix knock-offs and orxploitation paralleling hip-hop and urban culture. Find some ridiculous counter culture based on pop culture that exists today, give it a 6th world twist, and voila, instant fashion.
Sixgun_Sage
orks in assless chaps....

Really though, the world of 2070 is one where materials aren't really the expense and the media hyper-balkanization means any sort of niche style and ethos is "popular" in the right area so it is purely a matter of imagination... and now you all are imagining orks in assless chaps and praying alcohol will scrub your brain clean.
Method
Lady GaGa. Because high fashion is innately absurd.

Or orks in assless chaps... rollin.gif
hobgoblin
brainbleach, by the bucket...
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Thanee @ Nov 27 2009, 07:28 AM) *
It's all about the AR overlays now. wink.gif

Bye
Thanee

For some reason this gave me a vision of a woman with RFID tags secured to her joints projecting only virtual AR clothing on her.
Sixgun_Sage
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Dec 4 2009, 06:20 AM) *
For some reason this gave me a vision of a woman with RFID tags secured to her joints projecting only virtual AR clothing on her.

This has happened in my games...
Method
Or a similar system that projects psychedelic AR effects as she gyrates to the music.... devil.gif
Sixgun_Sage
QUOTE (Method @ Dec 4 2009, 02:08 PM) *
Or a similar system that projects psychedelic AR effects as she gyrates to the music.... devil.gif

And this is why live performances still happen in 2070...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012